Hey, Red... any WMA luck this weekend?

I hunted at the lease yesterday. Yet another goose egg.

A youngster shot his first deer while hunting solo yesterday pm. I'm not yet sure what it was as I didn't have time to stick around yesterday evening.
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    I struck out.

Lots and lots of water back in the Swamp prevented me from getting to where I wanted to go. If I would have worn my wadersi would have in the very least shot some pigs.
    I had hogs within about 50 yds of my boat before light. I chose to wait until light to go in because i knew it was flooded andi don't like walking up on hogs in the dark.

Climbed a tree as far back as i could get and had deer burning it up further behind me. I never saw them but i could hear them.

I only got to hunt Saturday. I'm about to head to South Florida for a fishing trip. I fly back on Thursday and might get a chance to hunt Thursday. If so, that will likely be my last trip until next year.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    I hear ya. I'm close to hanging it up, too.

Fishing is about to bust open and I need to:

1. Haul out for bottom job
    2. New boarind ladder
    3. Annual maintenance
    4. Replace water pump
    5. Paint cockpit
    6. Shore up a bow rail stachion where 5200 has busted loose and allowing water to seep
    7. Pump out / clorox / pump out / clorox holding tank to replace the overboard pump that's leaking
    8. Touch up brightwork that's completely absent and mahogany trim is fully exposed
    9. New dock lines
    10. I'm sure there's more

Point being... ready to chalk this hunting season up and move on. What a disaster this year for me.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    I went ahead and hung my stands up in the garage for the season.

Well wouldn't you know, nothing makes me want to hunt more than not being able to go. I am going to try and hit the swamp one more time if the water level gets down to 7'.

The beach deer rut is about to bust wide open. It's like the playboy mansion for deer over here around my house. There is a pile of does in heat and not a buck anywhere to be found.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.