Teaching Them Young, Bottom Bounding! Pic Heavy

Left St. Augustine around 8:15 AM on Sunday to find some really good sea conditions. We fished between 16-20 miles out and found fish on every spot. We caught gag grouper to 13 pounds, snapper over 20 pounds, trigger, 1 keeper cobia, 1 throw back cobia, lost a nice cobia, and 25 sea bass (some which were studs).
The bait of choice was fresh cut strips and the fish could not help themselves. The only real problem all day was the **** snapper. We would pull up to spot make a drop or two and nail some nice sea bass and then the snapper would jump all over the baits. The kids stopped fishing for a long while because they were getting scared of the snapper ripping the rods out of their hands (not joking, we got got some mules).
The water quality really suprised us being somewhat blue and 66 degress at 16 miles (thought it would be pea green with all the west winds), and blue clean 69.5 degrees at 20 miles. At 95 feet and 20 miles out is where we found the cobia.
Had a great day fishing with my brother (Why Work), Shawn (put the Hammer down on some snapper), Dad, and the kids. If you get a chance take your kids or someone else's kids fishing. Don't buy them a video game, buy them a fishing rod.
fa9e3bb8-c7e5-4424-81c7-428338ef0dfe.jpg
849cefe9-9895-4bad-b0a5-37df6f169fef.png
IMG_8925.jpg
IMG_8912.jpg
Why Work , WORKING!!
IMG_8900.jpg
IMG_8936.jpg
Some Stud SEABASS!!!!
957410d2-e000-43e8-8a9e-bc14bbe9d26c.png
6b3fa056-b638-4c67-a0c4-5c628d3ba507.jpg
The 2 year old wants in on the action!!
IMG_8975.jpg
IMG_8984.jpg

Replies

• Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,405 Officer
    SWEET REPORT and great photos too. I love seeing reports like this with kids involved. You’re camera person knows his/her way around a camera. Great photos of the young’ens & family! Big Kudos to you all-you’ve got the important things in life figured out!
    Brian
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,404 Officer
    Very nicely done!!!
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,783 Captain
    One of the best off shore reports in a while. Tight work Cap! Great pictures, probably see this thread on the offshore cover page tomorrow.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,516 Captain
    Very nice! I bet those boys had a great time.
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    I'm jealous. That's two of the wife's favorite fish. Awesome fishing guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,922 Captain
    Now that's the way to do it!!!!!!!! "Priceless" and they will never forget those trips...GREAT Job
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • Fishin BennieFishin Bennie Posts: 130 Officer
    great pictures with the kids....nice grocery bag too....
  • no peekinno peekin Posts: 790 Officer
    Awesome reports with the kids involved and a great catch to boot,I'm sure they had a blast and many memories were made.Congrats!
    BIGFISH ROOFING. 570-1973. ccc1330441
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,321 Captain
    NIce job! Best offshore report in a while by far. Way to show the kids how it's done.
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    Green heads! awesome
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Captain
    Tight work Shawn!
  • KCMKCM Posts: 138 Deckhand
    awesome Job Cap! They def wont forget that trip. Solid Gag as well
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,098 Admiral
    Nice going as always with the kiddos Shawn!
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • JizzoJizzo Posts: 1,356 Officer
    Holy seabass! Thats a nice stringer. Nice FL 'winter' day you guys had. :)
    -Jon
  • loweballzloweballz Posts: 216 Officer
    Excellent report!! I'm sure those kids will remember that trip well into the future.
    1987 261 Mako CC twin 2006 175hp Suzuki four strokes
    1978 14' Seanymph 15 hp Evinrude
  • TrapperTrapper Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Awesome report!!!
  • Half-A-BucHalf-A-Buc Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    How old are the kids? I can't wait till mine are old enough to go. My oldest will be four this summer, but he has a long way to go before I take him offshore. I see a lot of river fishing in the near future as soon as the weather starts warming up.
    Legacy - 2008 Viking 56 Convertible
  • WhyWorkWhyWork Posts: 264 Officer
    Half-A-Buc wrote: »
    How old are the kids? I can't wait till mine are old enough to go. My oldest will be four this summer, but he has a long way to go before I take him offshore. I see a lot of river fishing in the near future as soon as the weather starts warming up.

We started these kids inshore at 1 and offshore at 5 for nearshore trips. We make sure the seas are not too big, little bodies get thrown.

Adam
  • Gills.Gone.WildGills.Gone.Wild Posts: 142 Deckhand
    Great day on the water and way to go making memories with the kids!
  • seanhev77seanhev77 Posts: 276 Officer
    Nice report. Brings back memories. I remember catching Sea Bass when I was a kid and that started me bottom fishing offshore. Loved some Sea Bass fishing when I was little.
  • IdratherbefishingIdratherbefishing Posts: 168 Officer
    Great report, thank you for sharing. Way to put those kids on some fish, that is what it's all about!
  • Sky KingSky King Posts: 313 Deckhand
    Great report. The smiles on the kid's faces tell it all! A great alternative to video games and computer screens....

David
    Signature3.jpg
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Officer
    Very nice... I really enjoy seeing young ones fishing. Those memories last a lifetime.