Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lug Nut question

I noticed this weekend that I am getting a lot of surface rust on my lug nuts. I know about corrosion x and ensuring grease is on the stud.

I am wondering what type of lug nuts others use to combat this? Should I spend the extra money to get SS lugnuts? I do have aftermarket aluminum wheels on my trailer so hope to keep a little bit of sporty look on it.

Should I go back to the open style lug nut instead of the acorn style?

Appreciate your feedback.

Stephen

Replies

• Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    Don't use SS unless you can be sure that what you are getting is 316L ( $$$ ). The 304 series SS ( most SS lug nuts are made of this ) is not very machinable and tends to pull threads and gall ( meaning that you have to cut them off ) if not torqued exactly to spec.. I prefer the steel chrome acorn nuts that you can buy at advanced auto since having to replace many hub studs for free on regular customers yearly service after using the 304 series SS acorn nuts and I use torque sockets to get the proper torque . I know many will disagree and say they have never had a problem and I will argue that they aren't tightening them enough if they aren't galling threads trying to remove them. Also use plenty of anti-seize ( not grease ) on the face of the hub / brake rotor ( esp with aluminum rims ) , on the threads of the studs, and coat the outsides after torquing the lug nuts to keep the rust to a minimum.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,522 Admiral
    They also make these rubber cap things, that you grease up and mash em onto your lug nuts, and they stay there keeping your nuts from getting rusty.....

....somehow that just doesn't sound right...
  • southboundchickensouthboundchicken Posts: 711 Officer
    I have the acorn ss nuts, greased studs, periodic loosening then retighten to insure they aren't seized ..... of course it helps that I never have to dunk the trailer my hubs never get wet :cool:
  • knotenoughknotenough Posts: 936 Officer
    Unfortunately I don't have that option to not dunk the trailer. lol

The cost of the SS ones are outrageous but the idea of "lifetime" lug nuts are much more appealing than the $1.50 ones at discount boathouse.....
  • TUGTUG Posts: 824 Officer
    i slather mine with axle grease using a paintbrush (same with the leaf springs).

cheap, and works great.
  • Lug ManLug Man Posts: 427 Deckhand
    I sell chrome Lug nuts for $1.00 each. They are standard steal, chrome plated lug nuts. They may rust, may not...they are the same ones that they sell at all the rim shops, automotive, etc.

I think you should go online and look at McGuard Lut Nuts. They are the OE supplier to 90% of the vehicles on the road. Their lug nuts are made in America and corrosion resistant. They have to be good so the Car and Truck Dealers don't have customers coming back to warranty them out for rusting. They are the best lug nuts made in the USA.
    For Sale RESTORED 1988 Grady White 228G Seafarer
    Yamaha 200
    goto: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/5034729266.html
  • sonnysonny Posts: 283 Officer
    I just use anti-seaze on mine and my springs I have replaced with solid leafs and coated with roofing tar.
  • Don46Don46 Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸. ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><((((º>`·. ¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸. ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><((((º>`·. ¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸. ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
  • Last_DollarLast_Dollar Posts: 113 Deckhand
    Since a 2 year hibernation, trailer repair was on the list before I got my boat back on the water. I don't mind getting $1.35 lug nuts every year instead of having to grind the studs off from the back of the hub like I did a couple weeks ago.. I'd rather the lug nut rust to pieces instead of permanently seizing up and having to pull the bearings and get the grinder out.
  • Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    Since a 2 year hibernation, trailer repair was on the list before I got my boat back on the water. I don't mind getting $1.35 lug nuts every year instead of having to grind the studs off from the back of the hub like I did a couple weeks ago.. I'd rather the lug nut rust to pieces instead of permanently seizing up and having to pull the bearings and get the grinder out.
    It could have been worse....... you could've had disc brakes in which case you would have been cutting caliper bolts too.
  • Don46Don46 Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    Just use a nut buster.
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸. ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><((((º>`·. ¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸. ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><((((º>`·. ¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸. ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>