1-25-14 PE

Took a 14 yr old boy fishing today. He lost his dad last summer. Just before his dad died he asked me to take him fishing. We went out Monday, but got skunked. However he showed some interest in going again. So I switched up plans for the next day and took him bass fishing. After teaching him to cast with a spinning rod, I showed him some tricks to fishing the worm. And he took to it quickly, catching 6 bass up to 4lbs.

20140121_151858.jpg

20140121_161704.jpg

Although he enjoyed catching the bass, he really wanted to go back offshore. So with less than ideal conditions and a southwest wind, I decided that at least it might be an enjoyable boat ride. And that's exactly what it was getting to look like. The radio was very quiet. On a whim I decided to look out deep. At 320 ft. A sailfish crashed the gog i was towing on the left rigger. But for some strange reason it didn't eat. Seconds later the right rigger popped and the line came off the rerl fir a second but stopped. I flipped the bail open and got a solid bite. The fish immediately went into overdrive as i handed the rod off to the kid and dumped half the spool of 20lb on the 7500, but never jumped. I was still thinking sailfish until it went deep and just kept tearing line off in wholesale fashion. I began to think tuna when it finally started circling.

But the kid had some fight in him too and before long h as d opened up a can of whoop **** on the fish.

20140126_105144.jpg

After about 20 mins I sunk the gaff into a 35lb wahoo. The kid is definitely hooked.
20140126_105144.jpg

20140126_120549.jpg

Replies

• parrotheadparrothead Posts: 171 Officer
    20140126_105453.jpg
  • Git-R-DunnGit-R-Dunn Posts: 272 Officer
    Man...thats such a great thing you are doing. way to get the kid into fishing and thanks for dedicating your time to him. Nice wahoo...btw
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    That's awesome what you did! Next beer is on me.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 587 Officer
    See a need, fill a need. Thanks for stepping up and not just looking on.
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,102 Officer
    Nice fish...awesome story!!
  • TLUVTLUV Posts: 265 Officer
    That's a great story! Good work captain.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    good on ya .. :)
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Nice!
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    nice man.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Very, very cool what you did! Cheers bud! :beer

Even better that y'all caught a very nice, great eating hoo!

What did he think of eating the fish y'all caught? My little cousin gets a HUGE kick out of eating the mangrove snapper we catch together, so much that he won't even eat any other fish :rotflmao
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    great karma!
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    Very, very cool what you did! Cheers bud! :beer

Even better that y'all caught a very nice, great eating hoo!

What did he think of eating the fish y'all caught? My little cousin gets a HUGE kick out of eating the mangrove snapper we catch together, so much that he won't even eat any other fish :rotflmao

He's all about the entire experience. He's a good kid. He wants to be hands on in everything. And I'm more than happy to show it to him. He loved the hoo.
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    dpdash wrote: »
    great karma!

I agree...a great story indeed!! Nice job all the way around!!!
  • actionc96actionc96 Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    You just created a lifelong fisherman! Awesome job ,,real nice to see that sort of thing ...tight lines:fishing:fishing :USA
  • Sunny@hi-CHEW[email protected] Posts: 114 Deckhand
    Awesome catch and a great story.
  • Perez3611Perez3611 Posts: 88 Deckhand
    Great story, and a great new fishing buddy you have there. :fishing
  • ultraplayer26ultraplayer26 Posts: 814 Officer
    Parrothead' Great job brother on putting in the time and effort to help this kid.We need more people in our sport like you.:USA:angel
    I've got the whole thing on video. But I can't seem to figure out how to post it without a URL