Replies

• BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    First time to post a report , wanted to make sure the pics attached.
    Went out early Sunday morning and trolled for Wahoo (unsuccessfully) Went out to a wreck in 250 just sw of American Shoal. Had a well full of live mullet. Power drifted the wreck and it was slow at first. After the 3rd or 4th drift my GF caught the AJ about 80 feet down. There is something fun about watching someone fight one of those. She landed it with NO assistance from me.
    Then it was my turn , dropped to 80 on the next drift then 90 and 100, then straight to the bottom. Thump ! The fight was on , as I was making headway , I got the Keys Upgrade . Line starts ripping off the reel. After a short chase I ended up with the second pic. She took the pics as the anchored boat in the background asked me what I had ? Watched another boat, right next to us, fight and chase a Sail.
    Made one more drop down to 120 immediately hooked up and knowing that the sharks were keying in, I put a hurting on a BIG Black Grouper . The B G was as long as her AJ, Sorry no pics , I was concerned to vent him , and pull him away from the wreck for release as three Bull Sharks folllowed him up. I was not expecting a grouper to come up 130 feet for a mullet ? Decided to leave them alone , I was looking for Wahoo , AJ's and Kingfish. Decided to call it a day home by noon.
  • Gulf2Back2FrontGulf2Back2Front Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    Nice story, thanks for sharing. I'll have to post my miracle of 2013 Wahoo story sometime.
    Captain Mike Theut
    30926 Edward Road
    Big Pine Key, Florida 33043
    www.LowerKeysAdventureCharters.com :fishing
    Private / Custom - Family and Small Group Charters
    Offshore, Back Country and Gulf Fishing / Eco Tours / Snorkel Trips
    On a previous visit to the same wreck, my GF boated a heavy teen Red Snapper, which I did not expect at all. I immediatly vented it in the bait well. Looked up the regs. Closed state waters, closed in Gulf waters no mention of SAMC ??? Called FWC (cell phones don't work so well out there) after a couple of dropped calls and a few transfers, I was informed that there is no open season in the Atlantic. I put the fish in my net to revive (Dam thing kept its mouth shut) so I lip gaffed it and put it thru a series of figure 8's. I thought it would make it so I turned it loose. It shot down to 40 or 50 feet then stopped NNNOOOOOO!!! I full grown Cuda got him . The entire process probably took 30-40 minutes just to feed a Cuda. Made me SICK ! Why don't they put out a book that we could quickly find the correct regs when we are fishing in Monroe County ?
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    BD27 wrote: »
    Why don't they put out a book that we could quickly find the correct regs when we are fishing in Monroe County ?

Great story about the catches and releases! :beer

That wreck is the Wilkes Barre. It sits in Federal Waters, so SAFMC rules apply, Monroe Co has nothing to do with it. Red Snapper have been closed in the SA for several years now, excluding a couple of weekends which are announced.

If you need some help with the regs, SA side, let me know via PM and I'll do my best to answer your questions. :)

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to more reports and pictures.
  • urbanRenewalurbanRenewal Posts: 395 Officer
    When I was out deep the last time I ran into a guy who showed me something called a "descender" rig. Picture an upside down letter "U" with long legs. At the end of one leg is a snap where you can hook weights. At the top of the U is a ring you attach to your line. You put the free leg of the U downward through the lower lip of the fish and lower the fish to 150 feet or so. You add weight as needed to compensate for the size of the fish.(a down rigger works well here)

Then crank the rig back up, the leg of the U slides out of the fish and (hopefully) the fish is free and in a place where he's back under pressure and has a chance of survival.

I have a source for this gadget but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
    Capt. Tom Urban, "urbanRenewal", Cudjoe Key, FL www.LooeKeyReefAdventures.com
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    I have a source for this gadget but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

There's a few of the SA Council members testing a version of it out. They say good things about it, so far. Hope that doesn't mean they'll push to make them mandatory.
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • urbanRenewalurbanRenewal Posts: 395 Officer
    I never liked the venting idea. I don't believe that poking a hole into the innards of a fish with a needle has no ill effect on it. The fish swims down and is assumed to be "recovered" but no one can say that it doesn't ultimately die anyway. It just does it down there and later instead of on the surface.

I don't know if this alternate tool will be any better but at least you're poking the hole through the skin of jaw area instead of penetrating the peritoneum. And as a diver, reversing the decompression process makes theoretical sense at least.
    Capt. Tom Urban, "urbanRenewal", Cudjoe Key, FL www.LooeKeyReefAdventures.com
    I never liked the venting idea. I don't believe that poking a hole into the innards of a fish with a needle has no ill effect on it. The fish swims down and is assumed to be "recovered" but no one can say that it doesn't ultimately die anyway. It just does it down there and later instead of on the surface.

I don't know if this alternate tool will be any better but at least you're poking the hole through the skin of jaw area instead of penetrating the peritoneum. And as a diver, reversing the decompression process makes theoretical sense at least.

I agree with you on both topics. I saw a TV show that showed them lower the fish to 50 feet and then hold it there before the release. They claimed that once a fish reaches that depth it's ok. The big problem that I see with it is the predators. I'm not a fan of venting either, most of my fishing (outside of trolling) is usually in shallow water. Usually venting is not an issue. There are times that I go that I do go deeper.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,408 Officer
    There is proof that at least some vented fish do live though. I have caught tagged red snapper and others I know have caught tagged grouper in the middle grounds that had been previously caught, vented, tagged and released.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,633 Captain
    very nice!
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Baja280Baja280 Posts: 440 Deckhand
    I have caught recently vented fish, on the same spot a short while after being released. I am up here in west central, and we mainly grouper and snapper fish up here. And I can say from experience, I have tried to let grouper back without venting them, or I vented them and didn't quite do a perfect job and watched them go down about 30 ft, and could not make it, and were saw floating 100 yds behind the boat, NUMEROUS times. Some of those 20lb gags that are out of season, seem to lose their gusto in the fight and if they have to fight to get back down, they don't make it, same goes for giant red snapper. But I do agree that it is kind of an unknown what happens to the fish later on after they have been vented and released. Also the FWC recently decided that a vent tool is NO longer a requirement for reef fish in the gulf of mexico. So who really knows the truth????
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
    any sharks or cudas pay a visit? there is a resident cloud of barracuda on that wreck . mike (lower keys adventure charters) got a BIG (50lbs.+)wahoo there on a 2/0 bronze hook tied to straight 20 lb. mono/no leader w/ a pilchard . just as the fish was going to make his final run-2-freedom away from the boat, the line wrapped the tip of the rod. immed. one of those 6' cudas came up and snipped off the tail. mike's wahoo came right to the boat like a firewood log and the fillets went home w/ mike and me instead of going to some cuda that i did even know as friend, anyway! ( i am somewhat possessive about my food and don't really like sharing it w/ strangers very often).
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    BIG WAHOO
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    here is mike's miracle wahoo- and that was team effort between the both of us+ God above to get that one in the boat w/ all that crazy stuff going on @ once!
    BIG WAHOO
    any sharks or cudas pay a visit? there is a resident cloud of barracuda on that wreck .

See pic # 2 , that was an AJ same size as pic #1. Big Bull Got Em. Did not see any Cuda's for the first time ever. Quick story about the Cudas on that wreck. My GF caught a 4 footer on a 6 oz bucktail. I was running low on bucktails at the time , it was hooked right in the corner of the mouth. I lip gaffed him, lifted his tail out of the water, grabbed my pliers, leaned over the boat, grabbed the hook and a 6 footer jumped completely out of the water and nailed him right behind the head. I had both hands within 12 inches of the other cudas mouth. Lesson learned, cut the line , or pull the fish IN THE BOAT. I could not react to the other cuda , and was counting didgits !
    zoiks! there r som BIG cudas there!
    BIG WAHOO
  • natural anglernatural angler Posts: 262 Deckhand
    There is a tower in North east Florida or south east Georgia called R4. it is a navy lookout tower. Any how that tower has a few very large cudda. We had one that was close to 70 lbs one day and there are some bigger ones. They have no problem eating 40 lb AJ like popcorn. In the early winter if you hook an AJ and get him close to the boat and let a big cudda destroy him there is normally a big school of cobia that follow those cudda around and will come right to the boat and eat the scraps like puppy dogs. At times this is the only way we can get cobia to come off the tower. I am pretty sure they follow those huge cudda around like they do rays when the migrate. a few times there was at least 20 cobia following the one giant cudda.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Buy a Ciguatera test kit and just eat the dammm cuda. However, I worry more about the mercury in them then the ciguatera.
    Giimoozaabi