Good few hours of fishing, Reds Trout and Black Drum

Well Sunday Richard and I went out to the same spot I did well in last weekend, the fish weren't there the sun was behind the clouds and it was chilly the fish were somewhere on the bottom not moving, the thing was where? After a good hour or so of searching we finally found some fish. Before I go on let me explain this, my friend was using a 4' 6" ladyangler rod as a joke with 2 pound test.. anyways first bite was on that rod lol.. turned out to be a 22 inch black drum. After that we stayed in this spot we made our way through the rats and the smaller slot fish and finally got on a few good ones. One that was 26 the rest were around the low 20's. Caught a few trout 15-17 inches mixed in too but only brought home 2 reds and the drum. Caught over 30 reds, 1 drum, and 3 trout. Decent few hours on the water we fished shrimp on a Sureset Jighead.

Replies

• Black PearlBlack Pearl Posts: 1,155 Officer
    Another nice report yet again. If you don't mind me asking, what part of town are you fishing? Since that last cold front I haven't done much at all down in St. Aug.
    "Great Daye Fishing Team"
    '14 Pathfinder 22 TRS (sold :()
    Yamaha F200
  • JonathanBostonJonathanBoston Posts: 119 Officer
    Another nice report yet again. If you don't mind me asking, what part of town are you fishing? Since that last cold front I haven't done much at all down in St. Aug.

Palm Valley near Pine island
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    I wouldn't blame your buddy if he kept using that setup - as evidenced in the pic, ultralight fishing is a blast, especially considering the majority of creek fish are in the 1-6# range. Just grind down the "lady" and he's good to go. I use a 5'6" UL with 6# line and it's plain fun.

Looks like you guys had a great day.

PS what are you using for an anchor pole there? I have a Gheenoe and my anchor line can be a PITA.
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,405 Officer
    Nice report Jonathan. Nice to see you guys having fun.
    Brian
  • KCMKCM Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Awesome job guys.... The anchor pole looks like a Stick it Pole. You can get em at Strike zone. (Correct me if I am wrong)

I have a 7 ft one and it holds my 17 whaler in a steady current. I love it.
  • JonathanBostonJonathanBoston Posts: 119 Officer
    I have a 10 pound mud anchor and a pin anchor for the back to keep the boat from moving in the wind
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,124 Officer
    That area down there produced my biggest red and trout, both on the same day and both with the same lure....That's been 8 years ago. Way to go and way to be consistent!
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,437 Officer
    well done.