Sheepshead from land

I'm looking to take my girlfriend on her first sheepshead outing. I would rather teach her from land instead of in the kayaks. Does anyone know where I can grab a few from land around St. Augustine?
That matrix moment when the hook set misses and you avoid the treble flying at your face

Replies

• pilingjunkypilingjunky Posts: 2,044 Officer
    I think the easiest thing to do is fish the Vilano bridge abutments. Put the kayaks in at the Sea Love/Beaches Restaurant and paddle over to them. You can get out and walk them. I don't think it's legal but I do it all the time and the FWC never seems to care. If they do they'll just tell you to leave. Or you can fish the pier there (the old bridge). Just drop fiddlers by the pilings.
  • jimmy06jimmy06 Posts: 1,178 Officer
    I think the easiest thing to do is fish the Vilano bridge abutments. Put the kayaks in at the Sea Love/Beaches Restaurant and paddle over to them. You can get out and walk them. I don't think it's legal but I do it all the time and the FWC never seems to care. If they do they'll just tell you to leave. Or you can fish the pier there (the old bridge). Just drop fiddlers by the pilings.
    this or kayak over to the rocks at the inlet and beach them then fish the rocks.
  • no peekinno peekin Posts: 790 Officer
    If you can'y get fiddlers I have had luck with sand fleas as well.
    BIGFISH ROOFING. 570-1973. ccc1330441
  • ChippyDieselChippyDiesel Posts: 457 Officer
    Are there any bait shops that sell sand fleas?
  • Beginner's LuckBeginner's Luck Posts: 320 Deckhand
    Fishing right on the structure is most productive, yet I've caught them outside of the structure as well as in the sand in the middle of nowhere. Point is, you never know til you try, so put on a fid and throw em in the mix.
  • no peekinno peekin Posts: 790 Officer
    Are there any bait shops that sell sand fleas?
    The time I bought them,it was at the gate station on A1A,GUANA, and I used them at the tip of vilano rocks on a jighead.(they are always fozen around here)
    BIGFISH ROOFING. 570-1973. ccc1330441