Offshore Cudjoe, 1-18-14 Snowy Grouper in the box

Slept in this morning expecting brisk north winds. Wrong! It was flat calm, and with Snowy Grouper catching open we decided to take advantage of conditions and try for one. We headed out at 10:15 and cruised to to a spot in 575 feet with a 20 foot ledge that I know held Grouper.

We got to the spot and started a drift to see where and how fast we would go while I set up the gear. Went back to the starting spot, dropped to the bottom and started the first drift. Immediately started getting hits and finally the rod bows over with a solid hookup. Up comes the gear with a 30" Snowy at the end. Mission accomplished 1hour and 5 minutes after leaving the dock. A once in a thousand day.
Capt. Tom Urban, "urbanRenewal", Cudjoe Key, FL www.LooeKeyReefAdventures.com

Replies

• AMPEDAMPED Posts: 619 Officer
    Nice fish, when did they open Snowy Grouper back up?
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Nice fish Captain! Well done sir.
  • ShallowSaltShallowSalt Posts: 195 Officer
    Nice catching Capt. That is not a bad couple hours at all. Enjoy your grouper!
    AMPED wrote: »
    Nice fish, when did they open Snowy Grouper back up?

Opened up January 1st. Still a 1/vessel/day bag limit.
  • ExocetExocet Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Great job Tom, way to do it.
    Work is for people that don't know how to fish!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 712 Officer
    Great job, we went out last week on a similar mission, found yellow edge grouper but not snowies, figured they would be hungry but not the case.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • urbanRenewalurbanRenewal Posts: 395 Officer
    found yellow edge grouper

Just so I'm sure, is the season for Yellow Edge open or closed. I'm under the impression it is closed now?

On another subject, I'm still trying to find a Golden Tilefish. Have yet to catch one. Have a few spots that produce Blues regularly but have not seen a Golden. Do they inhabit the same areas?
    Looks like yellow edge is closed in the Atlantic and I believe the keys are classified as the Atlantic as far as the regs go (both Atlantic and Gulf sides). The regs in the keys are beyond difficult to follow, so I am probably wrong........ I have been told that you catch Golden Tiles in areas that have muddy bottoms as opposed to rocky ledges.
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
    Also just pointing out no one said they kept any yellow edge grouper only that they found them, so everyone can stay calm.
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Nice job and better fish, enjoy it!
    Capt Bill
  • Bill WelderBill Welder Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    Nice fish Tom.
    Yellowedge grouper is a deep water grouper. FWIW I believe the season opened 1/1/2014.

Yellowfin grouper and Yellowmouth grouper are shallow water grouper and are closed until 5/1/2014.

If I am wrong, I would assume the self proclaimed sheriff from Boca named [email protected] will enlighten me when he calls the feds.
    www.CaptainBill.net
    Island Charters
    "Key West...Where the weird turn pro"
  • urbanRenewalurbanRenewal Posts: 395 Officer
    Bill, I looked for some updates to the listing before asking the question about Yellowedge. The most recent I could find on line is here:http://safmc.net/sites/default/files/Regulations/pdf/RecRegsSummary%20111813_rev.pdf but the last update was in Nov 13.

According to this Yellow edge was never closed? I don't know where I heard it was but now I'm really confused.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Confusion is widespread - however, nice fish Tom.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • SlamaholicSlamaholic Posts: 389 Officer
    Great Job
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quality Performance Apparel, Realistic Prices.
    www.ReloGear.Com
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,809 Captain
    Nice Snowy Captain.

As for Yellowedge, they were (are) always open in the Atlantic as they aren't in the "shallow water" grouper complex. The problem is that if you specifically targeted for them in S. Florida, you'd probably have to cull 20 Snowies for every YE you catch, unless you got lucky and found a little aggregate of them as a previous poster did.. YE's seem to be a little more common in the Gulf.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• swordslayer71swordslayer71 Posts: 398 Deckhand
    conchydong wrote: »
    As for Yellowedge, they were (are) always open in the Atlantic as they aren't in the "shallow water" grouper complex.

Yellowedge are regulated by SAFMC, and are the least closed DD grouper for sure. Great job again Tom, glad to see you getting more and more dialed in on the DD game. It makes up for sluggish offshore conditions.
    Yellowedge are regulated by SAFMC, and are the least closed DD grouper for sure. Great job again Tom, glad to see you getting more and more dialed in on the DD game. It makes up for sluggish offshore conditions.

Yes, they are regulated as they count in the 3 grouper per person limits. I have never known them to be closed for recreational harvest ever in the S. Atlantic, unless you want to count the brief 240' rule. Even then they can be caught in less than 240' on rare occasions.

― Ernest Hemingway

What about for Gulf rules, anyone know?
    Capt Bill
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 712 Officer
    It is a shame that there is so much confusion. Too many entities making too many rules.
    Got a snowy and 2 yellow edges on Monday, what a beautiful day on the water.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hawkboat wrote: »
    What about for Gulf rules, anyone know?

4 deepwater groupers (Snowy, Yellowedge) per person. http://www.gulfcouncil.org/fishing_regulations/RecreationalRegulations.pdf

― Ernest Hemingway

Thank you.
    Capt Bill
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Nice catch!

Glad the Yellowedge question was cleared up. Sorry I missed it. :beer

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,661 Captain
    very nice!
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]