Smoked fish dip

Anybody care to share some good recipes for smoked fish dip? Best fish to use? Going to do some smoking this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Edgewater 220IS (Dan)
Mercury 250 Verado
Minn Kota I-pilot
2 Simrad NSS 9 evo 2
1 Simrad NSS 7 evo2

Replies

• ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I'll pull some up tonight...
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,169 Officer
    So many threads about fish dip over the years there must be hundreds in the forum already... maybe you can have some luck if you try a search, maybe even in the archives.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: www.neflbaitco-op.com

2013 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,043 AG
    Surprisingly I have a friend that uses french onion dip as a base, then packs in the mullet with some spices to make his dip. It is outstanding. Other fish we have used are Bluefish, Spanish and Jack Crevelle in that order.

One of my wife's dip recipe's.

8 oz Cream Cheese
    1/3 to 1/2 tub of Cream Cheese with Chives and Onions
    The rest is to your taste

Hot Sauce (Chipolte Tabasco is good)
    Worcestershire Sauce
    Chopped green onion
    Celery Salt
    Onion and Garlic Powder
    Black pepper
    Red pepper

Add plenty of fish. My wife usually makes the mixture, I add the fish. Always best to smoke the fish a little drier if you are going to use it in a dip.

To add, when I smoke my fish, I use like Everglades Heat, black pepper, onion and garlic powder and some cayenne, along with alittle more black pepper.
    Do let the smoked fish cool off before you use it in the dip. Seems to crumble apart easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Edgewater220Edgewater220 Posts: 488 Officer
    Thanks I will try it!! I will also search the forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Edgewater 220IS (Dan)
    Mercury 250 Verado
    Minn Kota I-pilot
    2 Simrad NSS 9 evo 2
    1 Simrad NSS 7 evo2
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 299 Deckhand
    Slice fish thin within 1/2 -3/4 inch tolerance, season with whatever (doesn't matter)
    Smoke fish 2 hrs using pecan wood (I like chunks, get at Gander).
    Dehydrate in oven if still very moist, should be kinda dry

Grind up in food processor, blender, magic bullet....(very, very important - must be ground).
    Equal parts mayo & sour cream and 1/2 part ranch dressing (ranch dressing secret ingredient)
    Diced onion (not too much will overpower)
    Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder, nothing more.

Serve with spicy stuff on side - habanera sauce & japelenos

I've made 100's of batches of fish dip and have discovered the simpler the better.

I do not intend to brag, but I'll tell you that I have never had better and I've eaten more than my share of SFD.
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 1,988 Captain
    I mostly use king mackeral but have also done this with spanish or cero macks, still darn good. Once in awhile I may smoke AJ or mahi, still really good. Have also done wahoo, similar ingredients but also add dill and try to use a citrus flavored hot sauce and maybe some onion soup mix.

I use mostly alder, cherry, apple or pecan wood depending on what I have on hand, never hickory.

1 pound smoked fish (crumbled, I sometimes grind it up but usually just get rid of any bones and break it up finely by hand).
    half cup mayo
    quarter cup cream cheese
    quarter cup sour cream
    4 tbls creamy horsey sauce
    4 tbls key lime juice
    4 tbls maybe more hot sauce
    salt pepper to taste

Mix well and keep on mixing and taste accordingly. Top with some finely chopped onion or scallions. Better served near room temp as the flavors come together compared to right out of the fridge. Once in awhile I will also add some soy sauce and/or some old bay seasoning for variety.

Good luck, best to experiment a bit to see what you like. I personally love this dip especially the lime infusion, yummmy!
  • RichardrbloomRichardrbloom Posts: 68 Deckhand
    I know a guy who smokes fish carcasses. No little fish like sea bass but red snapper size fish and up. He smokes the carcasses until the meat between the bones becomes dry and then scrapes it off with a fork when he's done smoking it. Not sure if this helps you or not but I thought I might come in handy
  • offshore-nutoffshore-nut Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Flash wrote: »
    Surprisingly I have a friend that uses french onion dip as a base, then packs in the mullet with some spices to make his dip. It is outstanding. Other fish we have used are Bluefish, Spanish and Jack Crevelle in that order.

One of my wife's dip recipe's.

8 oz Cream Cheese
    1/3 to 1/2 tub of Cream Cheese with Chives and Onions
    The rest is to your taste

Hot Sauce (Chipolte Tabasco is good)
    Worcestershire Sauce
    Chopped green onion
    Celery Salt
    Onion and Garlic Powder
    Black pepper
    Red pepper

Add plenty of fish. My wife usually makes the mixture, I add the fish. Always best to smoke the fish a little drier if you are going to use it in a dip.

To add, when I smoke my fish, I use like Everglades Heat, black pepper, onion and garlic powder and some cayenne, along with alittle more black pepper.
    Do let the smoked fish cool off before you use it in the dip. Seems to crumble apart easier.

That sounds delicious!
  • crrazychickencrrazychicken Posts: 43 Deckhand
    This is the recipe my whole family loves, I've tried a few others and this was the clear winner, I've made it with Grouper, Amberjack, Cobia, Mangrove Snapper, Trout and Kingfish. All were good, amberjack was the best, I thought the grouper was too delicate rest of the family liked it though. Makes a ton you need a party punch bowl to contain it.

Capt. Moes treasure from the Gold Coast fish dip recipe .
    Ingredients:
    10 pounds of fish
    48 oz Helmans Mayo
    10 oz jar of sweet relish
    2 bunches of Celery
    1 large red Onion
    Old Bay seasoning
    Yellow Mustard
    2 5 pound bags of Hickory chunks.
    Pre soak in water Hickory chunks at least 3 hours preferably overnight.
    Fill water pan with warm/hot water and copious amounts of salt. Try to dissolve as much salt into the water as possible.
    Place room temperature fish on smoker racks. Use Pam on the racks to help in clean up if desired.
    Plug in/light charcoal/light gas on Smoker, whichever system you use.
    Place wet Hickory in the Smoker.
    Place water pan above heat source.
    Place rack of fish above pan.
    Place second rack of fish above first if applicable.
    Cover for 1 hour.
    Check progress and restock Hickory at least every hour.
    Remove fish after 3 hours (this time may very depending on temp of smoker) and place into refrigerator to firm up. (make sure after removing fish from the Smoker, that any skin on the fish is removed at this time.)
    Food process the onion and celery.
    Drain and strain as much water out of the onion, celery and relish as possible. All ingredients must be as DRY as possible. Line a colander and strainer with paper towels, then push as much water out of the celery and onion as possible. Keep onion, celery and relish covered over and under in paper towels until they are ready to be used. Before mixing, try one last time to dry all three ingredients with the paper towels.
    Once the smoked fish has firmed up in the refrigerator, (this may take up to several hours), cut 20% into 1/4 inch chunks and food process the balance. The hardest part of the process will be to stand there and cut the fish into 1/4 inch squares. The firmer the fish the easer this step is. Use as thin and sharp a knife as possible for this task. After food processing, the fish should have the consistency of bread crumbs.
    Put 1/2 the food processed fish into a large mixing bowl. I use a punch bowl for the mixing process.
    Place the relish, celery and onion into mixing bowl.
    Place most of the Mayo into the bowl along with 3 heaping tablespoons of the Yellow Mustard and 4 heaping tablespoons of the Old Bay Seasoning.
    Start folding ingredients together then place the fish chunks into the bowl and continue folding.
    Place the balance of the processed fish into the bowl and whatever mayo you can spatula out of the jar.
    Fold, fold, fold and more folding until you feel your arms are going to fall off. Then fold some more.
    Chill then serve.
    Scott
    Tampa Carollwood area
    Carolina Skiff 198 DLV Elite
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    I made a bunch of dip over the weekend and tried something new (Thank you FLASH!) The french onion dip is the difference maker, but not the store bought crap! Buy a 16oz container of sour cream, dump in a packet of Lipton's onion soup mix and stir.

8oz Cream cheese (1 block, softed)
    8oz Lipton's French Onion Dip
    4oz Mayo (more if you want)
    2 cups of fish (I like mine loaded)
    Juice of 1/2 lime

Then a "dash and splash" depending on taste:

-Old Bay
    -Crystal (or favorite) Louisiana style pepper sauce
    -"W sauce
    - Fresh Black Pepper
    - Splash or two of liquid smoke

I crumble my fish by hand, I don't like it ground or blended personally, and I also don't like the pickles/relish/celery/onion texture. I want the fish to shine, but that's just me.

I use a dry rub called "magic dust" (http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl50617d.htm) on the smoked fish, and contrary to most I smoke my fish quick and hot usually around 250ish.

A dallop on a cracker, topped with a sliced jalapeno and an ice cold beer = heaven
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback