Home Photography Corner

Eastern Fox Squirrel

Never get a great setup for these squirrels. Always seem to be driving down the road when I see them and they run off if you stop. This one actually ran by my office window and ran up the oak. Managed this one shot. They have many color variations, but never had seen one so black before.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Wild looking critter. You need to connect with a wildlife biologist and ask what the heck is going on with this specimen I never saw one like that either. Thanks for the post.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    That really is a unique specimen. Good on you for using your Nikon instead of your Remington. ;-)
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    FWC was interested in any sighting of them awhile back and where. Can't exactly remember where but think it was on FB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    could be a little hybridization going on....
    just a thought...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    could be a little hybridization going on....
    just a thought...

tim

I should've checked it for a rough patch on its tongue. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    nice shot dave
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I think that Fox Squirrels are cool. Thanks for sharing the photo.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Really a great photo! Makes me wish that I had developed an interest in wildlife photography way back early-on in my forestry/wildlife management career!

You'll find color variations like this in fox squirrels. Occasionally I'll see a black/white mixed one like this in the plantation areas around Tallahassee-Thomasville, and I know of a pocket of this color variation over close to Pearson/Homerville, Georgia.

The habits of this squirrel are totally different from those of grey squirrels. There will be a dominant male with a home territory of several acres, frequently 10+, and he will keep all younger males at a distance enjoying the company of the females in a closed relationship. Grey squirrels are just the opposite, and are as promiscuous as they can be! The more the merrier, and multiple partners is the common trait of both sexes. Not so with fox squirrels!

EDIT: Better leave the Remington at home! Unless things have changed in the last couple of years (I'm retired now and don't keep up with things) fox squirrels are a species of special concern and there is no open season on them. The population over much of its Southern States range is in decline unfortunately.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,321 Moderator
    I've seen black ones before. Not common but not unusual .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,199 Captain
    Don't see those often..........
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    i quit killing mammals and birds about 38 years ago...

i got a lot more pleasure shooting them with a 35mm camera with a 1000mm lens....

i still enjoy recycling trout, reds, and pompano....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Nice looking squirrel.
    I seen many black squirrels in NE Ohio. They were imported from Canada to Kent OH. They drive out native squirrels.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• Black GnatBlack Gnat Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    The FWC and a UF Researcher were collecting data and pictures from a public in 2011 - 2012. There was an article in the Gainesville Sun that came out in Oct. 2013 listing some of the results - http://www.gainesville.com/article/20131005/articles/131009737?p=2&tc=pg#gsc.tab=0
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,260 Officer
    058_zps82ad4f67.jpg

taken near Kenansville
    Nice. Never seen that one I took again. He must have been traveling thru.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,461 Moderator
    Nice shot Dave!

We always had a half dozen or more on our property growing up in South GA. There was always a black one (usually with a white face) or two in the mix. Thinned, tall pine forest seems to be their preference. At least that's what we had and they seemed to like it. Hardly ever saw them anywhere else.

I think a few may have hitched a ride :wink with my Pop to his new farm about 30 miles away as he has a small population there now as well...
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida