Forum Comes Thru Again....Tell us your Story

FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,760 Admin
I'd like to feature a story once a week, on the front page of our website, on how the Forum came thru for you.Did you get a job via the Forum, meet a fishing buddy, find a hard to locate something or other.

I saw this post today and it made me think of all the really cool stories I've heard about people helping others.

Tell me your story.....

The forum comes though again

I was looking for an entry level BMX racing bike for my son. I made one post about it on the forum and Loco came though with a great deal on a great little racing bike. Saved me a bunch and my boy loves it. Hope to hit the track next week. Thanks Loco & FS Forum

Replies

• Shandy GShandy G Posts: 233 Officer
    I was in need of an A.C. repair guy I could trust. A forum member came over and fixed (what another dealer quoted me @ $250.00) a part that only cost me 80.00. And it worked for years.

I was buying a new vehicle, a forum member signed me up as a GM family member, and saved me almost 10K, after employee pricing and discounts. That was 6 years ago, and am still driving that SUV.

I needed to refinance, forum member took care of all of it, and another forum member did the appraisal.

In the olden days, I would have a bad day and the off topic would always make me laugh, thanks to all of those guys....too bad that had to change.
  • CoxsterCoxster Posts: 3,086 Captain
    My family and I wanted to erect an historical marker at a boat landing in Albany, GA, that was named in memory of a second cousin who was killed in WWII. Ramblin Reck was kind enough to send pictures of what the signage at the landing entailed and even shared that he was with the City of Albany when the landing was paved. He also was there for the sign dedication in June, 2009. He really came through and his presence made the ceremony even more meaningful.
  • shuterkngshuterkng Posts: 865 Officer
    a few years ago, i mentioned i just got ripped by a guy building my company web site.....member(BEFORE CRASH) bite me hard jumped in and made my web site. that was a very good thing.
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    I was hungry and the forum fed me Collecio's partys
    I was thirsty and the forum gave me a drink ^
    169304.GIF
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,760 Admin
    coldair wrote: »
    I was hungry and the forum fed me Collecio's partys
    I was thirsty and the forum gave me a drink ^

I think you'd be a winner if you wrote, "I was hungry and the forum taught me how to grow my own veggies, catch my lunch and hunt and shoot my dinner. And then when I was thirsty, the Forum taught me how to stomp grapes just the right way to make my own wine. Now, I'll never go hungry or thirsty again...."
  • badbullgatorbadbullgator Posts: 1,571 Captain
    I was born a poor black child. Then one day Are you kidding? front page of the forum - Johnson, Navin R.! I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at this book everyday! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity - your name in print - that makes people. I'm in print! Things are going to start happening to me now.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
  • tagtag Posts: 8,853 Admiral
    It seemed I could not get my teenage son very interested in inshore fishing. I tried everything. You see he was spoiled by his Papa’s stocked pond. Pond fishing was quick and easy. Inshore fishing was just too slow for him so he never had much of an interest to go. I hung up my fishing gear for several years.

Then one day last year my son mentioned he might want to try inshore fishing once again. I dusted off the fishing gear, refueled the boat and bought new fishing licenses and off we went. We did okay, a few small to slot sized reds and a few trout. Not enough to give him the “fever”. About this time I started reading reports posted on the forum of big bull reds in the St. Johns River. I knew that if he could hook up to a bull red he would be afflicted with fishing fever the rest of his life.

I made some posts asking for information about how to target the bulls with no real replies. After all, fishermen don’t want to give away their secrets. Finally I messaged a forum member I didn’t know and had never met for some help. He kindly gave me some tips for targeting the bulls and ideas on where to look for them. Thanks Tony! (AKA Boattronics!) Following his information I was able to put my son on some nice 40” plus reds. A fisherman is born with a raging fever! We’ve been fishing 40 to 50 times since. The forum came through and helped this father spend quality time with his son.

jakeredfish.jpg
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    :Popcorn:Popcorn http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?13973-Win-an-FS-Chart! :Popcorn:Popcorn

I'll take GT's blue camo visor & a law stick as well!
  • JboatJboat Posts: 1,337 Officer
    Two or three days before I was scheduled to leave to come back overseas from my R&R, I posted looking for someone to fix a cabinet door. My wife or daughter, one of them, had broken the door while I was gone. My thought process was that maybe I could find a company in my area that one of the forum members had worked with before. Little did I know that one of the local members worked at a mill. After talking with him on the phone we agreed to meet. While meeting I asked the member if he knew about how long it would take to fix the door because I was scheduled to leave in a couple days. I explained to the member that my wife would be picking up the door and told him to give her a call when it was ready and he had a price worked out. About four days later he called the wife and told her it was ready. He took the time to drive out of his way twice, then refused to let me pay him for his time. To top it all off he offered to take me fishing when I returned, like I had done him a favor. I did not mention his name because I am not sure he would want it mentioned but he knows who he is. I am very appreciative and I look forward to buying beer or dinner one day for his efforts.

Anytime I need answers for something I am working with or need professional services I post on the forum first. There is always someone on here that works in the business, knows of a company that does good work, or has had the same problem before and can talk me through fixing the issue myself. That said, if there is ever anything that a member needs that I may be able to assist with. I will not hesitate to help. Thanks FS, and more importantly thanks to the members who go above and beyond to help a fellow fisherman.
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    I help so many people on here I can't keep track.:)
  • treetopflyntreetopflyn Posts: 3,937 Officer
    FS Blair wrote: »
    I saw this post today and it made me think of all the really cool stories I've heard about people helping others.

Tell me your story.....

The forum comes though again

I was looking for an entry level BMX racing bike for my son. I made one post about it on the forum and Loco came though with a great deal on a great little racing bike. Saved me a bunch and my boy loves it. Hope to hit the track next week. Thanks Loco & FS Forum

So I guess that means my boy make the feature story this week then.
    when I asked for the best way to dispose of a body the forum came through
    when I asked for help killing possums. the forum not only came through but they included their favorite recipes
    when I was feeling Blue they sent a Angel fish to comfort me. well she made me a martini
    169304.GIF
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    the forum tried to make me lose my job. This gave me more determination and helped me become a better employee. It also opened my eyes and caused me to spend less time on the forum. Thanks FS!
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    why would they fire the Janitor?
    169304.GIF
  • HialeahHialeah Posts: 90 Deckhand
    Well because of FS I got Employee of the month. Thanks FS!
  • Capt'n. ChumbucketCapt'n. Chumbucket Posts: 1,366 Officer
    WAIT ! What's this salty discharge originating from my eyes??? It's watery. Can it be...NO, I'm too manly for that. Well, maybe not around CO2 tanks
    Specializing in poor life choices since 1954.
  • RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
    img_cheer.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpinfisherSpinfisher Posts: 756 Officer
    Many years ago a fishin' friend told me about the FS Forum... Since then, I have not put a whole day of work at the office.
    I have read about people near suicide on here;
    others about to have complete melt-downs; and
    others who have been ostracized and ridiculed
    because of their utter and complete stupidity.

All of these make me happy about who I am. Thanks FS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,648 Moderator
    The forum taught me not to dip steak in my wine :willynilly

BTW, Where's Melly??
  • hebegbhebegb Posts: 8,722 Officer
    The forum taught me not to dip steak in my wine :willynilly

BTW, Where's Melly??

You do have to check in with weekly you know......
    Sieg Heil!

I resign from OT
    Will be talking to myself in sports....TA TA
    Jboat wrote: »
    Two or three days before I was scheduled to leave to come back overseas from my R&R, I posted looking for someone to fix a cabinet door. My wife or daughter, one of them, had broken the door while I was gone. My thought process was that maybe I could find a company in my area that one of the forum members had worked with before. Little did I know that one of the local members worked at a mill. After talking with him on the phone we agreed to meet. While meeting I asked the member if he knew about how long it would take to fix the door because I was scheduled to leave in a couple days. I explained to the member that my wife would be picking up the door and told him to give her a call when it was ready and he had a price worked out. About four days later he called the wife and told her it was ready. He took the time to drive out of his way twice, then refused to let me pay him for his time. To top it all off he offered to take me fishing when I returned, like I had done him a favor. I did not mention his name because I am not sure he would want it mentioned but he knows who he is. I am very appreciative and I look forward to buying beer or dinner one day.
    :applause. Winner right there.....awesome
    Sieg Heil!

I resign from OT
  • NBredfishNBredfish Posts: 205 Deckhand
    RRR wrote: »
    I have read about people near suicide on here

Whatever happened to that guy? Andrew something, hasn't posted in a while:angel
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    NBredfish wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that guy? Andrew something, hasn't posted in a while:angel

I don't know if this is the same guy or not.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/member.php?11664-Andrewsmith1
    yes, he was about to pull the plug on his
    life

very disconcerting, yet affirming and made me
    happy I was not him

thanks again FS

:beerz:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RRR wrote: »
    yes, he was about to pull the plug on his
    life very disconcerting, yet affirming and made me
    happy I was not him
    thanks again FS

:beerz:

Comfort and ganja....find them where you can
    Sieg Heil!

I resign from OT
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,760 Admin
    treetopflyn,

You're correct, we'll feature you tomorrow. Check out Readers Insight on the front page of our website.

Thanks for the stories, as for the not so serious contributions, thanks for keeping them short.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,417 AG
    The forum has and still is very good to me, still get a lot of work from old and new people on here and have made the greatest of friends, plus I met swts on here, were still goin strong, and I havent killed her yet. :)
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    :Popcorn:Popcorn http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?13973-Win-an-FS-Chart! :Popcorn:Popcorn

I'll take GT's blue camo visor & a law stick as well!

:Popcorn:Popcorn:Popcorn:full
  • kckc Posts: 449 Officer
    Polar wrote: »
    The forum has and still is very good to me, still get a lot of work from old and new people on here and have made the greatest of friends, plus I met swts on here, were still goin strong, and I havent killed her yet. :)

For some strange reason I thought you guys met at Band Camp. :shrug