Skip to main content
Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Winchester model 70.......safari style

The new baby boy is here. 10 days old now.......

ju5abyqe.jpg

I've been in such a rush to prepare for his arrival, I've not had time to stop in much, let alone do any fishing.

I have been tinkering with one project I thought I'd share......I'm know there are some other hunters and gun lovers around here.

I've had a plain, ugly Winchester model 70 7mm rem mag in my safe that hasn't been shot in years. I hope to one day go on a safari, so I figured why not redo the ole girl into a safari rifle. This one should be great for plains game.

Most all classic safari rifles have an ebony wood fore end tip.....so, I ordered a block, cut off the end of my stock, and fit one. It started as a 2"x2"x3" block of raw wood.

2epybegu.jpg

Next thing was to add some magnum recoil lugs in the stock to make sure there are no issues with splitting. I epoxied a piece of all thread in the stock behind the recoil lug and I front of the trigger guard. The plugs are epoxy dyed to match the ebony tip.

While I was at it, I bedded the action too.

a4asata2.jpg

Next I reshaped the grip and added a metal grip cap. What you cannot see is the piece of all thread running through the wrist for reinforcement.

jaqesyqy.jpg

Two screw swivel studs are the norm on safari rifles so, I inletted the stock for one.....a little extra strength.

ymu5yza7.jpg

Added a grind to fit Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad to cushion a bit over the factory hard rubber.

eru2u5u5.jpg

While I was at it, I inletted a Williams one piece bottom metal which is much stronger and better looking than the factory 2 piece. It also has a floor release inside the trigger guard.

ura9unu3.jpg

Once again, it's traditional for safari rifles to have a barrel band rather than a swivel stud in the fore end.....so that's what I did. Bought one in the white, profiled the edges and contoured it to fit the barrel.

5a4ahape.jpg

Added a Weaver Super Slam Dangerous Game 1x5 scope on Warne QD Rings to allow use of iron sights if need.

8aqurume.jpg

The finished project. I think it turned out pretty well. What say you?

yty2ehub.jpg

Don't know if I'll ever make it to Africa or not, but I've got my rifle.

Replies

• stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 851 Officer
    Beck wrote: »
    The new baby boy is here. 10 days old now.......

ju5abyqe.jpg

I've been in such a rush to prepare for his arrival, I've not had time to stop in much, let alone do any fishing.

AWESOME BECK; CONGRATS TO MOM YOU AND THE NEW BABY. Don't worry the fish are still out there and plentiful, we been catchin 'em and saving plenty for next year. :beer
    Sting AKA Capt. Ron
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    stingwray wrote: »
    AWESOME BECK; CONGRATS TO MOM YOU AND THE NEW BABY. Don't worry the fish are still out there and plentiful, we been catchin 'em and saving plenty for next year. :beer
    Sting AKA Capt. Ron

Thanks man! It's been 7 years since we had a baby in the house so I'm still trying to get back in the swing of it.
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Congrats Beck on the birth of your son. That makes for an awesome Christmas gift!

Beautiful job on the rifle, btw!

Livin' the Dream !
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,193 Admiral
    Fantastic contribution! Congrats on the new born!

I hope he's able to enjoy the outdoors as you are with your 7mm!

Cheers!
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,231 Captain
    Congratulations on the future hunting & fishing partner & good job on the rifle update! That should get the job done:thumbsup
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Klinger wrote: »
    Congratulations on the future hunting & fishing partner & good job on the rifle update! That should get the job done:thumbsup

Congrats on the young'n and the rifle. You did great with both!
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Nice job on the Winchester. But don't you think a 7mm is a bit light for Africa?
    Keep those old Winchester's there like gold now since FN bought them and ruined the line. I see where they are now making the old Mod. 94 lever action in Japan now.
    mustang190 wrote: »
    Nice job on the Winchester. But don't you think a 7mm is a bit light for Africa?

Not for a plains game hunt.

7mm rem mag with today's premium bullets like Winchesters xp3, Barnes x, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, etc in a 160 to 175 grain should be plenty for most every plains species short of say giraffe.

Minimum caliber for dangerous game most places is .375, but the average deer rifle is suitable for plains game hunting.
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    Congrats on the boy!
    The rifle looks good.
    Changing and growing like a weed already......

e2e2aza9.jpg

He's going to hate that picture when he gets older! Ha!