Maverick hpx micro opinions, first flats boat

Settin_HooksSettin_Hooks Posts: 237 Deckhand
I'm in the market for my first flats boat, I've done quite a bit a research and I have narrowed it down to a boat that can go super skinny. I will be fishing 90% of the time in mosquito/Indian river area, it would be nice to fish the inlet on occasion but I'm willing to sacrifice that for a few less inches of draft. That being said is there anyone with direct experience with the hpx micro that could chime in and give me thoughts and opinions. I've considered a few other models aswell but I found a very clean micro that peaked my interest ATM. Thanks for any help regarding this topic!
2006 Maverick Master Angler SOLD
2016 Sea Hunt Gamefish 25

Replies

• Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,013 Officer
    Take a look at the Maverick/Hewes/Pathfinder owners forum...good stuff. Also try Microskiff.com for lots of great skiff advice.

Good Luck.
  • TriplecTriplec Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Couple for sale on the Maverick forum too.
    There is a link from the MBC site or www.mbcforum.com
  • Settin_HooksSettin_Hooks Posts: 237 Deckhand
    Thanks net, I've checked both forums out but really didn't find to much info on this specific skiff. Maybe I will make a name over on the mbc forum if I don't find what I'm looking for here.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    I believe that there are a couple of guys who use to own that model who can chime in.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
    I hope so, I'm going to look at one soon. I'm hoping someone can chime in a give me some honest feedback!
    I do know they stopped making them this year, not sure if that will hurt the resale value? I'm looking at a 2010 with very low hours for 19k. I've thought about the hpx-v, ma, also the redfisher, action craft, beavertail etc.. But this boat seems to fit the bill for me, it just won't be very versatile when it comes to going out a little deeper.
  • JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    If a boat is no longer in production, reconsider your options. Your better off with a used Hells Bay if you can find one. Since it's your first boat you need to think about resale when you want to upgrade.
  • ChuckDChuckD Posts: 1,474 Officer
    Contrary to the above, they hold their value pretty well. They didn't mass produce them for a while, so there are not a ton of them on the used market. M/H/P service has always been excellent to me, and I bought my boat used. They've sent me new stickers, answered every question I had, and gave advice on other topics, etc. via email very quickly.

I can't help on the micro, I have the HPX-V. It's been an incredible boat. I've done everything from pole super skinny, to running four people and three dogs to the sand bar on the weekends, or scalloping in the summer. I've run it through everything you can imagine running a flats boat through and it has always impressed me and held up very well.

You can't go wrong with the boat for the IRL/Lagoon. I've used mine quite a bit down there and it's a great boat down there, even with the V. The V will let you run some good chop at nice speeds. You don't need speed down there since it's all 25 mph for the most part. Can't go wrong with some of the other skiffs either, as mentioned above. The HPX is dead quiet, and I know others claim to be as well but the hull on my boat rarely makes a noise, rides low in the water, and poles/tracks better than any other boat I've fished on.

Good luck with the hunt! That's half the fun!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sneaky snookersneaky snooker Posts: 746 Officer
    Love my redfisher 18. Not a real skinny boat but gets where I need to go. Doe well in a chop also. Good luck
    2015 Shearwater 23 TE w/ Yamaha SHO 250
    Thanks for the advice guys, I ran across a great deal on a 2006 17' maverick master angler in the classifieds. I'm pretty sure this is the boat I'm going with, the owner seems like a great guy that spends the extra time to care and maintain his boats.. With this boat I should be able to do a little bit of everything. I've read nothing but good things about how dry of a ride it is in chop and although it won't be the most ideal poling boat I can still manage. I realize I won't be able to get super skinny with it like I would the micro but it makes up for it in other areas. I'll post up a couple pics if I pick it up.
  • sneaky snookersneaky snooker Posts: 746 Officer
    I don't think you will regret it . Good luck
    2015 Shearwater 23 TE w/ Yamaha SHO 250
  • W.MurphW.Murph Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    The Master Anglers are great boats, a lot like the redfishers in layout and ride and they'll still run pretty skinny. Should be fairly easy to pole to. I would love to have one of the 21' MAs, I have a friend that has a 21' MA and it has about the same layout as my Redfisher, except it has a bait well up front & lockable rod storage, plus the extra horsepower you can hang off the back... LOL...

Can't wait to see pics of yours when you get it. Make sure you join the Maverick Boat Company forum, a lot of Great people and a whole bunch of good info!
    2002 HEWES REDFISHER-18
    I don't think you will regret it . Good luck

Thanks sneaky snooker, picked it up today! I can't wait to get it wet!
    W.Murph wrote: »
    The Master Anglers are great boats, a lot like the redfishers in layout and ride and they'll still run pretty skinny. Should be fairly easy to pole to. I would love to have one of the 21' MAs, I have a friend that has a 21' MA and it has about the same layout as my Redfisher, except it has a bait well up front & lockable rod storage, plus the extra horsepower you can hang off the back... LOL...

Can't wait to see pics of yours when you get it. Make sure you join the Maverick Boat Company forum, a lot of Great people and a whole bunch of good info!
    Thanks W.Murph, I actually just signed up over there under the same name! Looking forward to being a part of the maverick Club. Picked the MA up from a member over there, Redzone. Great guy, went up to GA to get the boat this afternoon.

Here's a few pics, I'll get some better ones soon.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,139 Officer
    Looks great.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Nice Sled.
    I remember being at the MIBS and seeing Rick Murphy standing head high next to the rub rail, when I first saw that model.:grin

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,205 Captain
    Can't quite tell from the pic... is that a JK or a TJ? How does it tow the boat?
    I'm considering buying another TJ soon and it would see some under 55 mph towing, 20 mile round trip a few times a month.

Nice boat btw.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Looks great.
    Catmandew wrote: »
    Nice Sled.
    I remember being at the MIBS and seeing Rick Murphy standing head high next to the rub rail, when I first saw that model.:grin

CMD

Thanks! Took it out on the lake yesterday and cut through some chop, what a smooth ride!
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Can't quite tell from the pic... is that a JK or a TJ? How does it tow the boat?
    I'm considering buying another TJ soon and it would see some under 55 mph towing, 20 mile round trip a few times a month.

Nice boat btw.
    Thanks and Good eye, its a JKU. It tows pretty good, I was a little concerned with this boat because with the trailer and gas 40gallons its pushing right around 2500lbs according to specs but it does surprisingly well. I towed it 3 hours home at around 65-70mph, when the semi's would pass me it would get blown around a little but I usually don't go past 30 miles on my trips and over 60mph. Its nice to know it can handle it if I do, however with a full tank of gas, all my gear and 3 people in the jeep I suspect I will be pushing the 3500lb tow capacity. If your looking into another TJ, I don't know there limit on tow capacity so it would probably be a little different. If your boat is extremely light I think you would be okay, specially at that speed. Isn't the tow capacity around 1500 because of the shorter wheel base?
    Couple more pics.
    d63o.jpg
    t6cl.jpg
    h9z4.jpg
    I have a Jeep Liberty and had been looking at the Wrangler unlimited. How do you like it?
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    I have a Jeep Liberty and had been looking at the Wrangler unlimited. How do you like it?

I like it a lot, its very different then what I'm used to but it does very well and is surprisingly smooth for a brick on wheels lol.. I really like the extra room, "I'm a tall guy" barely fit in it still.. But it pulls pretty good for what it is and I constantly get comments on it, the rims and tires set it apart from most other jeeps too.
    If your looking into another TJ, I don't know there limit on tow capacity so it would probably be a little different. If your boat is extremely light I think you would be okay, specially at that speed. Isn't the tow capacity around 1500 because of the shorter wheel base?

Yes, the standard length TJ is 1500 lbs... same as JK. The Unlimited in the TJ (LJ to some) is 3500, same as yours.
    Thanks for the review. :)
    I like it a lot, its very different then what I'm used to but it does very well and is surprisingly smooth for a brick on wheels lol.. I really like the extra room, "I'm a tall guy" barely fit in it still.. But it pulls pretty good for what it is and I constantly get comments on it, the rims and tires set it apart from most other jeeps too.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate a users opinion.
  • Alvin AAlvin A Posts: 315 Deckhand
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Yes, the standard length TJ is 1500 lbs... same as JK. The Unlimited in the TJ (LJ to some) is 3500, same as yours.
    Thanks for the review. :)

The JK towing capacity is 2000 lbs
    Weld-Craft 1656 Tunnel, Yamaha F70, Garmin 547xs.
    Alvin A wrote: »
    The JK towing capacity is 2000 lbs

Ahh you are correct sir.