Home Photography Corner

Timestacking ... anyone using it?

GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,667 Admiral
“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Yes, I have used it. The fellow who does the photos above has a real talent and has the technique figured out. My PS competent GF says the guy has a bunch of PS work going on there in addition to image stacking.

Basically the same thing can be done with PS and blending modes. Jennifer showed me how.

Back to your question. I have used it for stacking time lapses of star trails which it was originally designed for.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,667 Admiral
    Thanks ... I suspected additional work besides timestacking but wasn't sure
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

• mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    how does it work????

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    how does it work????

tim

Tim:

The time stacking software allows a sequence (i.e., time series) of photos to be aligned in one image. Sort of like a bunch of layers in PS. The program handles chroma noise also, creating a clear image. The software is shareware and very simple to use. This is the one I use there are several. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. http://www.tawbaware.com/imgstack.htm
    Craig....

thanks for the pointers...
    i googled it up and got the basics...a tripod is definitely part of the equation...lol...

i didn't see any links to the shareware though...i'm not sure i was looking too hard (eggnog with black rum)...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Craig....

thanks for the pointers...
    i googled it up and got the basics...a tripod is definitely part of the equation...lol...

i didn't see any links to the shareware though...i'm not sure i was looking too hard (eggnog with black rum)...

tim

Tim, scroll down toward the bottom of the page - there is a clickable link.

Yes, you will have to spring for a tripod.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,667 Admiral
    estero wrote: »

I think the difference is that the above system is used to overcome the short focal length of macro lenses and high magnification so multiple shots are stacked to create a clearly focused image ...

I think it's called focus stacking

I'm no kind of expert ... it's a new to me technique I want to mess around with

Yes, that is focus stacking, a closely related effort to time stacking. It takes excellent lighting and a really good lens to make this work. I am not into macro, and thus I do not own the alleged superb 105mm micro Nikkor lens. I have toyed with a bit of focus stacking with little success. It is sort of a specialty.
    Craig,
    Tim, scroll down toward the bottom of the page - there is a clickable link.

Yes, you will have to spring for a tripod.

i have a monster tripod that is designed for professional video cameras...the mount fits perfectly well for a dslr...
    it's heavy as as a 5 gallon bucket of s**t...
    i use it for macro and hdr but it never rides in a boat...

i have this cheapo sunpack aluminum tripod that rides in the boat and often is set up in shallow lagoons and bayous...
    had it for 7 years now and believe it or not, it has resisted many a salt water dunk...surprised the hell out of me...

I have been trying to "stack" the last week or so but the weather has sucked as have the sun rises and sunsets...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Tim:

Good, any tripod will do. The sunpack is fine. Put something in the foreground, but you knew that. Also, one of these for a Canon would be handy, so you don't touch the camera for its series of shots. >>>>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200985278885?lpid=82
    Craig...
    I learned from my film days that a remote is a must for macro and long exposure shots...
    pizzez me off about the shots i missed as a result...

i use the sunpack when i'm hiking a trail because it's light, or setting up in the water...
    my big moose tripod is used when i don't have to get too far away for a shot, or get it encrusted in salt....
    or if i have my "assistant" to carry the beast....

a carbon manfredo would be great but the moose was given to me and i paid $75 for the sunpack, which made it a "throw away"....

i always recommend to new shooters to get a battery grip, a remote, and a tripod....
    ironically. i do not own a mono pod...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    I would not be able to function on the birding grounds without my monopod, but that is just me.
    i really should get a monopod...
    really no excuse not to have one....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002