Home General Paddle Craft

How to make a backplate for inaccessible areas.

I'm trying to mount a scotty down rigger in the back of my yak and came across this video. Not sure if it's necessary, but I'm afraid the scotty mount plus 4 lb ball will put to much stress on the yak and possibly pull a screw. Anyone with first hand down rigger experience care to comment? This video shows how you can make a backplate for inaccessible areas on the yak.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• divn4$divn4$ Posts: 1,530 Captain
    Chiming in to add to post count trying to get to a 1000 before the ball drops.
    1376843400_20_1_USD_6.25_default.png

Go Navy.....
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Very creative & I agree you need a backing plate if at all possible...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Ericjames22Ericjames22 Posts: 377 Officer
    Love the idea. But my down rigger did not come with a flush mount so no large hole to be drilled out in the middle.
  • btm930btm930 Boca RatonPosts: 240 Deckhand
    i feel the same way I've had my down rigger for a month now and afraid to drill into the yak cuz of mistakes:Sinking
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    I would definatly thru-bolt with a backing plate for your Downrigger install.

FWIW-
    Paul does a good job with this DIY install, the only thing I would change is using stainless steel T-nuts in place of the flange nuts.
    With the T-nuts you just drill the hole, insert the nut and with one tap with the hammer, the nut is seated. With the flange nut install you have the chance of drilling too far when enlarging the hole or possibly cracking the polyboard when seating the flange nuts.

All in all a great DIY install video.....Paul has a bunch of good tutorial's on YouTube.

Stainless Steel T-nut.....
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=200968698706
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Agree w/above re-SS T-nuts...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    I made my scotty downrigger electric, so that added a lot of weight.

I got some starboard, cut out a piece to sit flush in my tank well, then mounted a scotty mount on it. Made a place for my bucket to sit with my bait in it. There's cut outs where I have pvc going through the starboard and into the scupper holes as well. Between the weight of the bucket full of water, downrigger and the pvc keeping it in place, nothing moves around at all. Also have the elastic bungees in the tank well that secure the bucket as well.
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    I just did this install with the exception that I used self tapping screws instead of nut/bolts. I tested the strength by putting a screw through the cutting board and tried to pull it through with a pair of pliers. I couldn't. The self tapping screws will let you get away with any misalignment or error in your hole pattern.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]