Home General Fishing

Flurocarbon Line vs Leader

2»

Replies

• Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Net 30 wrote: »
    Curious...what makes that Capt. an authority just cause he has a website?

He's a regular contributor to a reputable fishing forum. You can choose to not believe him if you want. No skin off my nose.

I just don't think trying to save a few bucks on leader is a smart idea. People spend hundreds on a reel or rod but skimp out $20 on the thing closest to the fish other than the bait/lure.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • aquaholikaquaholik Posts: 332 Deckhand
    He's a regular contributor to a reputable fishing forum. You can choose to not believe him if you want. No skin off my nose.

I just don't think trying to save a few bucks on leader is a smart idea. People spend hundreds on a reel or rod but skimp out $20 on the thing closest to the fish other than the bait/lure.

It's not all about saving money. It's about whether you need low visibility or abrasion resistance. Most of all, it's about confidence. If flurocarbon line or leader makes you more confident, then use it. Now about abrasion resistance of fluro line vs leader. There's hardly conclusive evidence that fluro leader is more abrasion resistance just because it is a harder material than fluro line. From experience fishing around bridges and the passes and hooking a massive amount of ladyfish(whose mouth is extremely abrasive) as by catch, fluro leader in 20-30lb test is neither more abrasive resistance than fluro line or regular Ande clear mono.

I've stopped buying fluro leader in anything under 30lb test. I'll just stepped down to 15lb-25lb Ande clear when I need lower visibility line.

I'll still buy Seaguar red label fluro line in 15-20 lbs test for winter time red or trout fishing in gin clear water or the Bass Pro brand especially when 200 yds spool of fluro line is on sale for $10. I don't need the abrasion resistance or strength in the above case. I need lower visibility a whole lot more.

$20 for 25 yds might not sound expensive but if you fish 5 days a week and retie 4-5 times a day, it's almost a dollar every time I retie(using 1 yds of fluro each time) and that's $15-$20 worth of leader a week.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    aquaholik wrote: »
    It's not all about saving money. It's about whether you need low visibility or abrasion resistance. Most of all, it's about confidence. If flurocarbon line or leader makes you more confident, then use it. Now about abrasion resistance of fluro line vs leader. There's hardly conclusive evidence that fluro leader is more abrasion resistance just because it is a harder material than fluro line. From experience fishing around bridges and the passes and hooking a massive amount of ladyfish(whose mouth is extremely abrasive) as by catch, fluro leader in 20-30lb test is neither more abrasive resistance than fluro line or regular Ande clear mono.

I've stopped buying fluro leader in anything under 30lb test. I'll just stepped down to 15lb-25lb Ande clear when I need lower visibility line.

I'll still buy Seaguar red label fluro line in 15-20 lbs test for winter time red or trout fishing in gin clear water or the Bass Pro brand especially when 200 yds spool of fluro line is on sale for $10. I don't need the abrasion resistance or strength in the above case. I need lower visibility a whole lot more.

$20 for 25 yds might not sound expensive but if you fish 5 days a week and retie 4-5 times a day, it's almost a dollar every time I retie(using 1 yds of fluro each time) and that's $15-$20 worth of leader a week.

You can get 50 yards of Ohero leader material for $15. Why does it take three feet to retie a lure/hook? It should only take about 6 inches unless a fish has trashed the entire leader.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • aquaholikaquaholik Posts: 332 Deckhand
    No it doesn't take three feet to retie a lure. I was talking about retying leader to braid. I use a Sebile knot and I like to start with about 3-4ft of leader material and retie that once the leader is less than 18 inches. You have to remember that fishing around the bridges and passes for Pompano, you WILL run into ladyfish and it only takes one ladyfish to cause a lure retie due to the short shank nature of Doc's jig and small flies/teaser. 4 to 5 ladyfish will cause a leader retie. Trust me, I've managed to go thru 2000 yds of Berkeley Vanish 30lbs fluro line in 4 years. 500yds of leader material is the average annual use for me.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    The abrasion resistance differs between a line and a leader. Trust me I know!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    aquaholik wrote: »
    500yds of leader material is the average annual use for me.

Holy crap!
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 430 Deckhand
    Some have their opinions
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    Those dang indians were idiots....catching all those fish with bone hooks and animal tendon fishing "line". I'm guilty though, I use flouro leader, but mainly because I use braided line and need something that will hold a knot. I don't just use flouro, I use Seaguar blue label because I like it, that's why. It doesn't flex back when tying a knot and it's easy to manage while running the boat or trolling motor and re-tying. It's what I've used for years and it works for me. I also have a big spool of Ande, flouro leader I use for leader on my fly line and guess what, I still catch fish with 7-10' of "cheap" leader material on my fly rod and in a more delicate presentation; also right up on an oyster beds, rocks etc. I think the fish "seeing" the leader material is a bunch of bulls hit and is over hypded by the one guy who switched leader material as the bite was coming on, so obviously the leader caught all of his fish.

but, I also don't buy into having all the colors of the rainbow for paddle tails. I've spent thousands of hours on the water and have never seen a mud minnow, pinfish or mullet cruising around with a chartreuse tail either. Crazy how the leader will scare the fish, but a dang bait that looks like it survived Chernobal, wiggling all over the place attracts them. Fishermen are suckers, I'm a sucker....do what works for you with what you can afford and be happy...That is what it's all about afterall.
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • Grey BeardGrey Beard Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Like Twirp I’m “guilty” and sometimes use fluorocarbon. Twirp also has some interesting insight suggesting we acknowledge we put too much thought into how we fish yet we continue same ol anyway. At least most of the time.

I’ve only used fluoro leader material in one situation, tying leaders for salmon flies because it is stiffer than mono and provides more action to the fly behind an attractor. To my surprise 50# Segaur broke on a number of occasions with little time in the water so I don’t think abrasion was the cause. Some breaks in the middle of the leaders so not the knot but other breaks were at the knot. I went back to 50# Pink Ande and holds up really well. I used fluoro for such a short time I have no sense whether I got more bites as compared to mono.

In clear water I always use a leader on braid. I’m typically fishing around rocks for fish that are near bottom so fluorocarbon that sinks and is abrasion resistant as compared to braid is my choice. I’ve not done side by side comparison with mono to see if it is less abrasion resistant but prefer to just check the line frequently and re-tie when needed. I did beef up to 12# fluoro in conjunction with 10# braid and able to bend out wire hooks and salvage a few jigs. I use Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon.

When fishing FL flats I beef up to 20# because too many break offs on those teethy critters using 12#. I use a double uni to join the lines as it won the Knot Wars on North American Angler for joining leader to braid. When using the 20# I do feel/hear the knot hit the end guide. I saw the Sebile knot mentioned in one of the responses so I looked it up. It may be a bit of a learning curve to tie the Sebile but does look like a very good knot. I think it will be worth it especially with leaders >20#.

Bottom line is I’m not sure fluoro is that much better than mono as a leader material. If one uses fluoro line rather than leader material the price difference is not that much vs mono so I will continue to use fluoro line. I’ll have to trust those who have taken the time to compare with mono and swear by fluoro.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Grey Beard wrote: »
    I saw the Sebile knot mentioned in one of the responses so I looked it up. It may be a bit of a learning curve to tie the Sebile but does look like a very good knot. I think it will be worth it especially with leaders >20#.

You will like the Sebile knot for any braid-leader connection that goes thru the rod guides. As for my fishing habits relating to fluorocarbon leader, I carry filler spools of Vanish line in 10, 20 & 30-pound, and use this exclusively.
    Before I started practicing the Sebile knot I thought I would do a quick YouTube search. I found at least three variations but on the same theme with multiple wraps. I'm used to one name, one knot. One had so many wraps I thought he could be starting a sweater. I think I will just pick one and see how it works for me.
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
    Grey,

If you're going to tie a Sebile, I recommend you simply move to the Alberto Knot (Modified Albright). It won the "Knot Wars."

Alberto Knot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56O3CZVu7M

knot wars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_2xautA1U
    Thanks for the links. I've used the Albright when joining 7 strand to mono and works well. The Alberto looks easier to tie as compared to the double uni and interesting that it won knot wars. However, when you start tying fluoro leaders with >25# you have to double the line and that makes the knot about double the thickness of the Sebile. I will have to experiment for myself.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    Sebile or Super Stren Knot if you have to tie on the boat. PERIOD except for the rare quickly surgeon.