Home General Fishing

Looking for BIGGER Yellowtails of Ft. Lauderdale

thegc1thegc1 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
So we've only been fishing since the beginning of November and over the last month we've had pretty good success in bringing the Yellowtail into the boat. Our last haul was 37 Yellowtails in about 3 hours (3 short of our limit ranging from 14" to 21"). We're chumming up current from wrecks and using 12-15lb mono with 4-5' of 15lb flourocarbon leader, rigged with 1/0 chartreuse slipperheads or 1-1/0 circle hooks (depending on the current) baited with cut squid. We've been off Ft. Lauderdale in 60-90' of water and it has been pretty rough.

We're having a lot of fun, but we'd love to bring some bigger Yellowtails in the boat. I'm wondering if we need to change our technique, or if we need to seek out other locations to find them...

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Gabe

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,044 Moderator
    Bigger tails hang further back in the slick. Cast over the smaller tails and then start your freeline drift. And just what's wrong with a 21" flag. Nice fish!
  • thegc1thegc1 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Bigger tails hang further back in the slick. Cast over the smaller tails and then start your freeline drift. And just what's wrong with a 21" flag. Nice fish!

Thanks! Alright, we'll try getting further back.

We're definitely happy with the bite as of late, but trying to get over the 21" mark is the next goal, as we've probably caught 5-6 over the month at that 21" mark. I believe the fattest 21" fish we had was just at 3lbs 6oz (per digital scale on board), and I keep hearing about these 5lb flags. Then I see people online posting picks of their 5lb+ (even 10lb+) fish, and I'd really like to pull one of those in. Really loving the catch though!

Here's a couple that some guys have posted up here and elsewhere... I want to catch some of those!