Home General Fishing

Nine Foot Light Spinning Rod- Pros & Cons?

FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,924 Captain
I like my seven foot light spinning rig- 10 lb. line class, lure casting.

I figured the seven footer was on the 'long' side, but for some reason, after seeing a nine footer advertised in a catalog I have been wondering about a nine footer. (Maybe just in the mood for another rod, regardless?:grin)

It would be two piece.
What do you think? Clear benefit with casting?
Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Some guys like ~8' - 9' 'light' (~6-12lb or 8-15lb) spinner mostly for throwing live shrimp a country mile, but I'm not a fan of that class spinning rods >~7'6"
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    I cant get my 8' to throw an unweighted shrimp appreciably farther than my 7'6", which throws significantly farther than my 7' rods.

Maybe 9' is the sweet spot? Might be worth lookin into. You can never throw an unweightedshrimp far enough.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    I've used 8'-6" rods for several years. There's at least two benefits. They cast further with less effort and they give or bend more than a shorter rod. The flexibility keeps you from breaking off and pulling the hook when a fish is close to the boat. I buy mine from Cabela's and they are two piece. I think they are called Walleye/Musky rods.

The only negative is that they are harder to store because of the length. I build a vertical rod rack out of PVC and had to angle the butt end to clear the ceiling.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I have 6' rods up to 9' rods for inshore fishing. I mainly take a 7 footer and an 8 footer with me. The 7 footer is good for accurate casts and the 8' rod is awesome for loong casts with light line. I had the 9 footer built for me a long time ago and I barely use it anymore... It is extremely cumbersome to transport and working a lure on those long inshore rods is a pain. Plus the blank is so light and flexible that it can't handle man other fish that trout or slot reds... 7'6" is a Perfect balance and if I could only take one rod that is what I would take...
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,924 Captain
    Thank you everyone for the great insights.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • BridgeRodBridgeRod Posts: 211 Officer
    most 9 footers are surf rods. there are some steelhead rods that are 9 feet that are more like 7'6" popping rods. I'm not sure what you're looking for. I have a blast using my steelhead rods to catch inshore fish on light tackle
  • DRIFTER_016DRIFTER_016 Posts: 144 Officer
    My go to rods for pier fishing with lures (spoons mostly) for GL salmon and trout were always in the 8 1/2' to 9' range and had steelhead tapers.
    They would fire a compact spoon a country mile. :)