Fuel question for charter captains

Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Vero Beach, FLPosts: 411 Deckhand
As often as you use your boat and outboard, do you still opt to buy ethanol free fuel or because you go through fuel so quickly, you buy regular 10% ethanol fuel?

Thanks
German Shepherd Dogs rule! Adopt one today.

Replies

• doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    I buy regular non ethanol. I go through it fast and never had a issue with any of my boats.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,086 Moderator
    I'm guessing most keep at or near Marina, which means non ethanol is readily available. As a result, again guessing, it would be my bet that most opt for regular for sake of motor and convenience, and factor additional cost into charter prices.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Inshore75Inshore75 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    My last boat drank whatever you put in it , but I mixed up the octane a bit ran 93 here and there to clean it out , now the new to me boat always had non ethy , so that's what I run and there is a gas station close enough I just keep using it 3.99gal .
  • cookin outcookin out Posts: 237 Deckhand
    The new engines are designed to run on 10%....Regular is better for performance but the price to me is very cost prohibitive as they want one dollar more per gallon and offshore I go through 60-70 gallons, sometimes more...
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,086 Moderator
    I've only charter fished twice, but on one of them the deal was X dollars for the boat and captain, and customer picks up the fuel bill. I liked it that way. This eliminates the possible "he kept us in close / ran slow in order to save fuel". On day one our guy said we could stay close and catch fish so we did. He then received word of a hot bite at like 70 miles. His words to us, "your call". We discussed fuel consumption and decided to go for it. Not a bad charter model and perhaps one some might want to consider. You know what you need to make per day so set price accordingly and eliminate your greatest variable cost.... fuel. Probably a better model for offshore charters than a 40 on back of a skiff, but it makes a lot of sense in some scenarios.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    I have never bought anything but regular filling station car gas for my boats and I have yet to have an issue, I do put a fuel stabilizer in the fuel because my boat can sit for several months sometimes. I have more than one boat and can only use one at a time.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • capt.natecapt.nate Posts: 2,359 Officer
    i put e-10 87 octane in my 2007 yamaha f-250. 600 hours this year and no issues what so ever.
    http://www.captain-nate.com/
    "If I had my life to live over again, there are some things I’d do differently, but, oh yeah, I’d still be a fisherman. No doubt about that."
    Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
    sig%20pic%20yamaha_zps9****5fb89.png