Home General Fishing

Do I Need Another Rod?

haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
I feel like I need a "tweener" rod for medium size mullet, etc. I have two medium-light rods rated up to 3/4 oz. , two medium-heavy sticks rated up to 1.5 oz. and then I my arsenal skips all the way to 20-50 lb. hvy/xtra-hvy "tarpon" rods. Do I need something there in the middle? Suggestions?

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,047 Moderator
    You ALWAYS need a another rod
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    You ALWAYS need a another rod

This.
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I use 7' -8' MH for fishing mullet freelined and it seems to work out, but If you are going to be fishing the mullet with a weight then you probably need a heavier action rod.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Am long past the point where I actually "need a another rod" - have collected way too many as it is.

That said, still "ALWAYS" seem to want another rod.

Recently bought 3 antique Garcia Top of the Line spinning rods with natural Agate/German silver frame guides.

However have simplified fishing trips by taking fewer rods along. Only take 3, to reduce clutter & b/c you can only legally fish with 3. Keep 1 in hand to work & place 1 in left & other in right hand rod holders. Like Three Little Bears, if 1 is too big, another too small, 1 will be just right.

Nice thing is having wide choice of which Bottom Bumper rod to take, which Flat Line rod to take & which Inshore rod to take on offshore trips.

Most tackle shops I've seen lack the variety in "my arsenal".
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    Thanks...

Maybe I don't need another rod, not like I'm slayin' fish here lately (AKA, ever). My M/MH feel flimsy when I'm casting bigger bait, and I feel like "that guy" when I use the bigger rods.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I have been known to roll with 6 or more rods in the boat. I hate retying lures. I'm more likely to have the right tool ready that way also. If you roll up on a school of fish busting bait on the surface you might only have a few seconds to get a lure out there and if all you've got is a bottom rig you aren't going to be able to tie on a topwater plug in time. I'd say make sure you've got a few rods rigged and ready to throw a topwater spook, a popping bobber, and a jighead to soak bait on the bottom. Nothing wrong with using the heavier rods to bottom fish in my opinion, you can always downsize your leaders.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    If you are still at a point where you are seriously asking that question, then take my advice & say "No, I can do whatever I need to do w/the tackle I already own." This may be the best advice you'll ever get (saving you Many THOUSANDS of Dollars in the long run). I wish I had taken that advice >$25K ago...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 439 Deckhand
    This is a rhetorical question, right? :huh
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    I have about 30 different rods, and I dont see me stopping now.
  • RottenRotten Posts: 465 Deckhand
    No, you don't another one. You need another 10!!!!
    Music is Life, learn to play and Live!!!! I also Love to Fish!!!
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,132 Captain
    I rarely, if ever use a weight when fishing with bigger bait. Maybe a split shot. I use the baits trying to catch snook, jack, etc around bridges and sea walls. Guess I should've asked which rod, lol...
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    I have 2 st.croix rods for sale if you're interested. :)
  • tears143tears143 Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Am long past the point where I actually "need a another rod" - have collected way too many as it is.

Recently bought 3 antique Garcia Top of the Line spinning rods with natural Agate/German silver frame guides.

However have simplified fishing trips by taking fewer rods along. Only take 3, to reduce clutter & b/c you can only legally fish with 3. Keep 1 in hand to work & place 1 in left & other in right hand rod holders. Like Three Little Bears, if 1 is too big, another too small, 1 will be just right.

Nice thing is having wide choice of which Bottom Bumper rod to take, which Flat Line rod to take & which Inshore rod to take on offshore trips.

I don't remember seeing anywhere that said you can only fish with three rods. I must have missed somewhere. Can you point me to where it say that?

On the other side of thing... I usually fish with 1 anyways, unless it's really slow.. then it's two.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    I feel like I need a "tweener" rod for medium size mullet, etc. I have two medium-light rods rated up to 3/4 oz. , two medium-heavy sticks rated up to 1.5 oz. and then I my arsenal skips all the way to 20-50 lb. hvy/xtra-hvy "tarpon" rods. Do I need something there in the middle? Suggestions?

Does the Pope ***** in the woods???
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer

You can only legally fish with 3 rods?
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    Sorry, I couldn't open the text of your post, but the answer is YES!
    Seriously, planning ahead for a variety of conditions whether by new techniques or tackle is, for me, a fun part of the entire fishing experience.
    Also, I HATE it when I don't feel I have the right set up for what's happening that day on the water, so I do endorse fine-tuning.
    What do those that advocate a new rod suggest?
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Try using a cast net for mullet instead of a rod n reel.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer

Avid inshore
    Try using a cast net for mullet instead of a rod n reel.

:huh Am I missing a punch line?
    Avid inshore

We're talking heavy mullet
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Star stellar lite... 12-20# 7'6 spinning. Good for 3/8-2 oz, awesome for chucking a 8-10" mullet. Goes great with a 4500-5000 size reel.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
    :huh Am I missing a punch line?

You said you wanted a rod for medium size mullet.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral

So lets see here... You have medium light and medium heavy rods. And yrr lookin for a "'tweener" size...

Yep, I'd say a medium would do it.

Case closed. ****, I'm good!
    PP should be a scientist.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,047 Moderator
    Depends on the manufacturer. Loomis says a rod is rated as a medium, the same action on a St Croix might be Med Light or Med Heavy. Same with Daiwa, Ohero, Penn, Star, etc. There is no standardization other than terminology as to how a manufacturer rates a rod in terms of action, power, line rating, taper, etc.
    So lets see here... You have medium light and medium heavy rods. And yrr lookin for a "'tweener" size...

Yep, I'd say a medium would do it.

Case closed. ****, I'm good!
    ericf wrote: »
    Star stellar lite... 12-20# 7'6 spinning. Good for 3/8-2 oz, awesome for chucking a 8-10" mullet. Goes great with a 4500-5000 size reel.
    Depends on the manufacturer. Loomis says a rod is rated as a medium, the same action on a St Croix might be Med Light or Med Heavy. Same with Daiwa, Ohero, Penn, Star, etc. There is no standardization other than terminology as to how a manufacturer rates a rod in terms of action, power, line rating, taper, etc.

From AA to the tackle shop, were getting closer :grin