Home General Fishing

What's your favorite Kingfish / Mahi bait?

Muskee50Muskee50 Posts: 290 Deckhand
I'm just getting started in near shore fishing and would like some advise on favorite Kingfish / Mahi baits. I would like to purchase a few good producing baits without wasting money on off the wall stuff. Thanks.

Muskee50

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,044 Moderator
    Live pilchards - get a castnet
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    a 4 and 5/16th inch blue runner (live)
  • Muskee50Muskee50 Posts: 290 Deckhand
    Looks like you guys like fishing live bait, how do you rig them?
  • fishing-guyfishing-guy Posts: 543 Officer
    Nice mullet , nice Poggies , but the best is a small ladyfish for me
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain
    Pull planers with a sea witch and a belly strip
    for kings.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,456 Captain
    Blue runner hooked vertically through the nose with a stinger hook trolled at about 4MPH.
  • temptingtranquilitytemptingtranquility Posts: 265 Deckhand
    live pinfish for kings, on a double treble hook stinger rig with #4 wire. Mahi aren't real common around here for me, but we killed some schoolies on live pilchards, 20lb flouro and a 3/0 mustad J down south.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,483 Officer
    If you are just looking for eating size kings and not trying to win any tournaments live shrimp on a white 3/8 to 1/2 oz. egg head nylon jig work very well. I add a second slightly smaller hook to the jig, but do not insert that hook in the bait. I hook the live shrimp in the forward center part of its head from under the "chin" and out the top. Before dropping the rig down make sure you test it next to the boat to see if it spins. If it spins replace the shrimp and try again. If shrimp dies and its tail curls replace it.

I have caught many kings in the 20 to 25 range on this rig, but most are smaller in the 5 to 14 lb range. On flat calm days fish this rig deep 10 to 20 feet off the bottom. I will rig one jig with 60 lb fluorocarbon and another with a 6 inch trace of 22 lb coffee colored wire that is Albrighted to 20 lb fluorocarbon. My largest king on a jig with live shrimp is 33 1/2 lbs, but most are in the smaller range. If you are in a area that has a lot of boats that are live chumming with pilchards and a ton of Bonita show up that are driving everyone nuts......the jig/ live shrimp rig will be ignored by most of the Bonita and you will probably out fish the people using live pilchards, since they will be spending most of their time fighting those tackle busters. This rig works well off of Miami where the kings are use to eating live shrimp that drift out of the inlets on an outgoing tide, but it doesn't work well very in some places like the Fla keys.

Since i fish solo most of the time my "record' for the two king limit from the time i reached fishable waters to the time i landed both fish (jig/live shrimp) is seven minutes.
    Giimoozaabi
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    A bucktail jig is my favorite.
  • Muskee50Muskee50 Posts: 290 Deckhand
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I really appreciate all the help you guys are willing to give a newbie.