Home General Paddle Craft

Stickin a Park and Pole thru the Scupper Hole

Shallow water of course.
What's wrong with just stickin it thru the Scupper ? :huh
Anybody ever do that ?
I know it's gonna turn me sideways in any current but I don't think that'll bother anything.
What's your thoughts ?
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    Most people say that is not a good idea because it puts too much pressure and stress on the scupper holes which can lead to cracks......
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    If the boat is just sitting on the flats, on a calm day, while your out wading; no biggie.

Stong current, wind or waves; I would think twice...the scuppers are considered the weakest point of the kayak build, due to the inability to inspect or gauge the strength (or thickness) of the scupper tube itself. The force against the hull is going to torque the pole within the scupper and apply outside pressures to the top and bottom tube of the scupper which may cause the seam to fail (where the two meet).

Better to install an anchor trolley and give yourself the ability to put the bow or stern into the wind, current or waves with the smallest profile possible.
    Easy to install, a decent trolley kit should run you around $35 at your local shop....I would recommend the Sea-Lect Designs Anchor Trolley Kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kayak-Canoe-Anchor-Trolley-Kit-Complete-Kit-with-Stainless-Steel-Hardware-/281218969841
    http://www.basspro.com/Kayak-Anchor-Trolley-Kit/product/11082605010036/
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-LECT-Designs-Anchor-Trolley-Kit-/350934196969

1852940_detail-11082605010036?defaultImage=noimage_avail&&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=1.5,.8,1.5&id=xXubq0&wid=400&hei=218&fmt=jpg
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Deckhand
    beyond the possible scupper damage--which i think is a pretty slight possibility personally, i think you'll find it to be a pain in the butt. if its a scupper in front of you, its going to be in the way. if its a scupper behind you, it's a pain to pull out. if you don't want to install a trolly, you can get one of those rod leashes, attach it to the pole and use a clip on the other end and clip it to the boat.
    actually, since i really don't want my stake out pole close to me, i use a trolly AND the leash. just my thing.

cheers
    drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 858 Officer
    Lt.FireDog wrote: »

"...the scuppers are considered the weakest point of the kayak build, due to the inability to inspect or gauge the strength (or thickness) of the scupper tube itself. The force against the hull is going to torque the pole within the scupper and apply outside pressures to the top and bottom tube of the scupper which may cause the seam to fail (where the two meet)."

You are 100% correct. After learning that I am now considering ditching the plug in scupper cart.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    uno--mas wrote: »
    "....beyond the possible scupper damage--which i think is a pretty slight possibility personally"

Drew,
    you & I are spoiled to have Hobies (which have reinforced scupper tubes), but on other roto-molded boats, this can be a true problem. This is why some manufacturers won't honor the warranty if damage is caused by a scupper-type cart. You would also be surprised at the boats that are delivered with a defective scupper tube (both domestic & imported).
    "I use a trolly AND the leash, just my thing.
    Same here.....I use a approx 10' length of paracord that is looped with a slide knot on one end, so normal leash length is 5 foot, but can be lengthened up to the 10' if needed. I have a Scotty clip on each end, so when I'm using the 8' Park-n-Pole for polling the flats, I can disconnect the leash. I have a "brush grip" too, so the leash can be used with it, instead of the stakeout pole.
  • PickledvolvoPickledvolvo Posts: 189 Officer
    Use a trolley kit as Firedude suggested. Why risk damage to your boat that can be a pain to fix. While some may think its a slight chance of damage, Hobie reinforces their scuppers holes for their plug in carts. I do not think they would if they did not feel it was necessary.
    "I throw empty beer cans at the TV when I'm watching the news.
    I hate republicans, I hate democrats, I hate liberals too!"
  • PickledvolvoPickledvolvo Posts: 189 Officer
    Lt.FireDog wrote: »
    Drew,
    you & I are spoiled to have Hobies (which have reinforced scupper tubes), but on other roto-molded boats, this can be a true problem. This is why some manufacturers won't honor the warranty if damage is caused by a scupper-type cart. You would also be surprised at the boats that are delivered with a defective scupper tube (both domestic & imported).

Same here.....I use a approx 10' length of paracord that is looped with a slide knot on one end, so normal leash length is 5 foot, but can be lengthened up to the 10' if needed. I have a Scotty clip on each end, so when I'm using the 8' Park-n-Pole for polling the flats, I can disconnect the leash. I have a "brush grip" too, so the leash can be used with it, instead of the stakeout pole.

Beat me to it.
    "I throw empty beer cans at the TV when I'm watching the news.
    I hate republicans, I hate democrats, I hate liberals too!"
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    I used a stakeout pole in the scuppers of my malibu (front or back, depending on wind direction,) and found it very quick and convenient. I paid close attn to any possible stress on the scuppers, which IMO was negligible. Having said that, I would not use that method to hold fast in much of any current.