Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Ceviche thoughts..?

Moken10Moken10 Posts: 292 Deckhand
I am an inshore fisherman and am wondering if any species have turned out good in ceviche. I know that most times you would use offshore species but recently I saw a guy on here make it with sea trout.. Personally didn't think that was acceptable but it was done.. Thoughts?

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Mangrove Snapper or Flounder (maybe) ???
    Any species that commonly has worms/parasites would be a 'NO' in my book...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,286 Officer
    Barracuda is considered one of the best ceviche fishes and is growing in popularity upscale restaurants.
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 718 Officer
    The firmer fish work better.
    Wahoo is amazing.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrKDrK Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Inshore fish I would not recommend. The closer to land the fish is, the bigger the chance of parasites and bacteria that can affect you.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,321 Moderator
    I'd be more concerned with texture than parasites and bacteria. Ever eaten a raw oyster?

Inshore that would work well... If probably put flounder in same category as trout... The, no thanks, category.

Fish I would try... Cobia, tripletail (I've done this and its great), scallops (also done this and its good), Sheepshead with all blood line removed, I'd be willing to try a 18" red fish, I'd also be willing to try same day Spanish if bled carefully cleaned and properly iced. Might be a bit on mushy side, but I've heard of people using it and loving it. What else... Pompano might be good.. It's oily but it's not an overly fishy oil and the texture when raw is extremely uniform.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    Several weeks ago we caught ~7lb Spanish ~25mi. out (Trolling for Wahoo) & I was AMAZED at how clean & white the filets were. We had a Wahoo & Blft & I made Ceviche w/the Wahoo & Spanish(mixed) & even though you could tell by looking at the bites, it was hard to distinguish the taste or texture. I was really amazed... Now whether or not the size & diet (maybe mostly Squid) of a Spanish caught that far out (vs. the snakes caught inshore that mostly eat minnows) matters ? I'm guessing 'yes'...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • USNavy_AnglerUSNavy_Angler Posts: 473 Officer
    I've made awesome ceviche multiple times out of Jack Crevalle, and Grunt. All pretty easy to come by and not regulated. The lime cooks everything to the same color, and tastes great!
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
    TEAM DIRTY BADGER :fishing
    Heroes On The Water
    South Florida Chapter Secretary
    [email protected]
    Proud US Navy Vet' 2007-2012
    Proud Owner Wilderness Systems Ride 135
  • Moken10Moken10 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Thanks for all the responses guys! I have some sheepshead and flounder pressure sealed in the freezer. I will try it out I'm the next week or so and post about how it turned out.
    I've only done it fresh. Let us know how frozen goes.
  • onthehighsideonthehighside Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Smaller redfish work very well and maintain a good firm texture. Flounder is actually a really great option as well and has become one of my favorites. The trick I've found is to not "cook" the flounder in your lime juice for as long. Just my .02
  • No-limitsNo-limits Posts: 54 Deckhand
    One fish not mentioned yet is the black sea bass, caught nearshore and inshore at times. It's the whitest filets and since the filets are so small, ceviche is a good use for them.

I'll also vote for Spanish mac, good for ceviche and surprisingly good for sushi and sashimi.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Grunt/margate/porgy/random snapper mix

The "mess" from a snapper/grouper trip makes the BEST ceviche IMO
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    Thinking back to my fishing origins, pounding the Cocoa Pier. Whiting was a regular catch and I always thought quite tasty. Anyone ever ceviche up some whiting?
    Catch 'em up!

Nick
  • MOSMOS Posts: 64 Deckhand
    I agree with the texture comment. You are literally bathing protein in acid. The size of the cut and time left to "cook" would be more crucial on smaller cuts of less firm fish for example. I wouldnt hesitate to try it with almost any fish. If your worried about parasites freezing will kill them all.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,905 Admiral
    I've made quite a bit of ceviches and I haven't tried Cobia ceviche yet. I caught one yesterday and thought I'd make a small batch. Anybody who's ever done Cobia let me know your thoughts.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

We do more Poke' than Ceviche (or some hybrid) but Cobia is great sushi/sashimi/ceviche/poke'
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,199 Captain
    I have spent a lot of time in Baja California and the most common type of fish for ceviche is snapper, rock cod, and their versions of a white fish (ground fish), you can also use shark. I have also had barracuda cevichie and it was good but not better than the others.
    I ended up making the Cobia ceviche, similar to the way I make Conch salad (Key lime juice, sour orange juice, red onion, bell pepper, a bit of bird pepper, a little crystal hot sauce and a touch of cilantro), I just let it marinate longer than what I do for Conch and it was outstanding. Now I need to catch some more Cobia.

― Ernest Hemingway

I really don't think you NEED to 'over-cook' Cobia w/a longer than usual marinade in citric acid...
    I really don't think you NEED to 'over-cook' Cobia w/a longer than usual marinade in citric acid...

I really didn't over cook it, I just marinated it for a couple hours. With conch, I just soak it for a couple minutes because it is more tender in its raw state.

― Ernest Hemingway

Folks tend to underestimate cobia. One of the most versatile pieces of saltwater flesh out there. Granted, they'll eat grey water discharge at sea, but they are great eating nonetheless; sushi, medium rare on grill, true blackened, flaked in stew, ceviche, pretty much you name it. It can go wahoo and to a lesser extent tuna-style, or it can go dolphin / amberjack. Great great fish,
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    I've tried it with a puffer fish and ladyfish......It was OK, not the best
    I know you are kidding but the Puffer fish probably would have been good if it doesn't kill you.

― Ernest Hemingway

• bobert421bobert421 Posts: 400 Deckhand
    Near shore species I use snapper (mangrove, yellowtail, and lanes so far). I also make it with mahi.

Slice thin and mix with juice of two limes to one lemon, thin sliced red onions, salt, pepper, garlic, cilantro, spicy pepper of your choice. I add it on top of some spinach and arugula salad with crumbled feta cheese and serve.

D753C586-7108-4DE8-9737-F2717E1537C2-25767-000021942FF7D5A8_zps50ac8f73.jpg
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    That looks great!
  • JaxNoleJaxNole Posts: 1,705 Captain
    Folks tend to underestimate cobia. One of the most versatile pieces of saltwater flesh out there. Granted, they'll eat grey water discharge at sea, but they are great eating nonetheless; sushi, medium rare on grill, true blackened, flaked in stew, ceviche, pretty much you name it. It can go wahoo and to a lesser extent tuna-style, or it can go dolphin / amberjack. Great great fish,

Don't think I know anyone that underestimates cobia for the table.