Greencove Shrimping 8/31/11

Played hooky with the boss and a co-worker for some early morning shrimping. Hit the water just about day break and immediately started putting 30-40/cast in the boat. Near the bottom of the tide, the shrimping died off. Ended the morning about 10am with just over four gallons of nice sized shrimp and a 14" flounder. Tossed back a ton of smalls and even a few mediums keeping only the larger eating sized ones. They're still running and they're running big. Get ya some.
Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp

Replies

• James243James243 Posts: 699 Officer
    That is very good news, thank you! But I do need to save some freezer space for venison.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,224 Officer
    NICE!!:Rockon I wish those ran in Crystal River. I love shrimp!
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,551 Captain
    Don't you know there's no 'h' in skrimp? That's a good way to get a pay raise:Rockon

I said I was done with them but I'll probably go again Monday since college is out
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,525 Captain
    Well you can't get in trouble if the boss tags along....But 10-10:30 is still plenty of time to get some work done....:)
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Always nice to play hooky KP :Rockon
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    We did Palatka last weekend and got a limit in about an hour and fifteen minutes but they were medium to smalls. They taste just as good and the numbers make up for their size but man it takes forever to clean that many shrimp. I'm off next week and am thinking of heading up towards greencove to give it a shot there. I'm curious how big of a difference in size there will be.
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Greencove hasn't disappointed me yet. Good luck.
    Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    sounds like some good eats,good job!
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,448 Officer
    Those grillin' sized shrimp are one of my favorites. Nice mess to bring home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Those grillin' sized shrimp are one of my favorites. Nice mess to bring home.

Speaking of grillin'...stopped working and cleaned four pounds just a bit ago and the boss seasoned them and grilled them. Added a couple sides compliments of publix and we had a Friday lunch time feast. Life is good.
    Chris

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,448 Officer
    My favorite way to grill them is to put them on skewers(sp?) and brush them a couple times with melted butter with some fresh lemon juice mixed in, but I never met a shrimp that I didn't love. Unlike you, I have to buy mine from the shrimp boat or market. At least we are able to get them fresh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hit up Green Cove yesterday just after noon and the shrimp are much bigger up there than they are in Palatka. I was alone and got about 4 gallons in about 3 hours and called it a day. I'm going to mend the nets and head back out tomorrow. I was on the west side of the river by shands bridge throwing. Is there a better spot?
    Try the East side of the river on the South side of the bridge. Be there on a moving tide. If you're not seeing more than a dozen/cast regularly you might try relocating a bit.
    Chris

• APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    Hey CSanders were you throwing off of the Pier or from a boat?
    On a boat. I was in a seafoam green seapro throwing 2 cast nets. You couldn't miss me. lol

Thanks for the tip keypond. I heard a few people say to go over that way after I told them I was on the North side of the bridge. I'll try there in the morning tomorrow.
    Tried the south side of the bridge yesterday just after noon with pretty good results for a while anyway. I moved about 5 times until I was near the east side of the hole right before where it started to rise in about 33' of water and got on them. I was getting about 20 per cast on one side of the boat and 5-10 on the other. I never could figure that one out for the life of me. I even moved about 10' to the side that was producing and the other side was still weak. I got a quick 3 gallons there and then the tide picked up so fast that I think my nets were closing on me and it shut off. I moved a few times, ate lunch, moved a few more times and fonally ended up on the north side of the bridge on the west side of the river and settled for 3-5 per cast until I had enough. Ended the day at just over 4 gallons again.
    cs, 33'! Wow! That's deep. Usually, I like a ledge or a slope. Many times one side of the boat works better than the other especially on a slope. Generally, on the South side of the bridge we end up between 15-18' on the rim of the bowl. Moving is the key. I generally make drifts until I think I have the depth dialed in then I anchor just up current from where I want to be. That way I can keep letting a little rope out until I'm in what seems to be the best position.

On that slower current in the heat of the day, that 33' might be the ticket. When the current starts ripping, find a hard slope in shallower water. I think the shrimp get hung up on the base of these hills in the current. We might try on Sunday morning. After that it's fishing time. Really losing in interest in all these other boating activities that don't involve a fishing pole...scalloping, tubing, shrimping, etc.
    Chris