Home Photography Corner

Sigma beats Canon in the lens wars

If you are looking for a 24-120 f/4 and/or planning on moving to a full frame camera you might want to look here. I didn't look but I bet the Sigma is cheaper than the Canon, too. Sigma has gotten serious recently and has beaten both Canon and Nikon with a couple of new lenses.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/12/16/dxo-mark-sigma-24-105mm-f4-wipes-floor-canons-version/

Replies

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,907 Admiral
    sounds very interesting. $899.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    i've shot with a lot of "L" glass even though i only own a few pieces (good buddies with lots of $$$)...

i've compared my ef 24-135 f-4\f5.6 with the "L" version on my 40d and i believe i get a brighter image, as sharp, with good contrast with it...

same for my ef 70-300 is usm against the f4 70-200L is usm...
    i own the 70-200L is usm but find myself using the 70-300 more which means i probably should sell the 70-200...
    however, after begging my bride to buy one, she'd be really pissed at because of the cost of the "L"....
    the "L" does have a little better IS though...

in my opinion, canon and nikon need to beware of 3rd party glass like tokina, sigma, and tamron...
    especially because of the cost to benefit ratio...

lets be real, canon "L" and nikon "ED" glass is unrealistically priced...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    i've shot with a lot of "L" glass even though i only own a few pieces (good buddies with lots of $$$)...

i've compared my ef 24-135 f-4\f5.6 with the "L" version on my 40d and i believe i get a brighter image, as sharp, with good contrast with it...

same for my ef 70-300 is usm against the f4 70-200L is usm...
    i own the 70-200L is usm but find myself using the 70-300 more which means i probably should sell the 70-200...
    however, after begging my bride to buy one, she'd be really pissed at because of the cost of the "L"....
    the "L" does have a little better IS though...

in my opinion, canon and nikon need to beware of 3rd party glass like tokina, sigma, and tamron...
    especially because of the cost to benefit ratio...

lets be real, canon "L" and nikon "ED" glass is unrealistically priced...

tim

Your point is remarkably correct. I "almost never" buy new, in the shrink wrapper lenses.