Tying Desk?

Kevin KellyKevin Kelly Posts: 84 Greenhorn
Just moved into our new house in Baton Rouge, and i will finally have a fly tying/fishing room. After always having to make do with the coffee table, i'm ecstatic. Looking for good ideas on what to use for a desk/bench and how to set it up. Anybody willing to post pics of your tying station?

Thanks,
kevin

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,325 Captain
    I use an old computer desk, it's nothinng fancy.

IMG_06621.jpg

A drawer for necks & capes.

IMG_06631-1.jpg

Hooks & such.

IMG_06651.jpg
  • Kevin KellyKevin Kelly Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    How do you like that vise? I have a Regal knock-off, which is fine for what it is, but i've liked that particular vise of yours ever since i first saw one. Nothing's gonna pull me away from my LAW, but there's nothing wrong with having a little something on the side, is there?
    How do you like that vise? I have a Regal knock-off, which is fine for what it is, but i've liked that particular vise of yours ever since i first saw one. Nothing's gonna pull me away from my LAW, but there's nothing wrong with having a little something on the side, is there?

I tie on both a Regal Revo, and a Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer, both have their charms and It would be tough for me to pick a favorite. For comfort and practicality on larger patterns, the Regal is hands down the finest vise I've ever used. I use the DK primarily for palmering maribou, and for anything smaller than #2(I have the big game jaws on the regal, and they'll destroy lighter hooks iif you try to fit them in the grooves).
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 209 Deckhand
    Because my daughters have cats I use a roll top desk. We came home from work one day and one of the cats got into my dry wheel and walked away with some custom jewelry. Now when I'm done I just close the cover and don't worry about anything left on the desk drying.
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • Kevin KellyKevin Kelly Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    Well i just "inherited" a corner computer desk, which wasn't at all what i was looking for, but it might just work out okay. We'll see. Once i get it all put together, i'll post up a pic.

Here's the pic, i hope:
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    I setup my workbench in the garage. The toolbox is for Tying materials. I can close everything up and put it away if I need to do something dusty or messy. (like sanding fiberglass this week) It's hot in the summer but oh well. I relocated the computer out of the way, now I can watch tying videos or search for stuff without going inside. A small TV off to the left provides some entertainment if necessary.

2012-04-22+20.04.53.jpg
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Well i just "inherited" a corner computer desk, which wasn't at all what i was looking for, but it might just work out okay. We'll see. Once i get it all put together, i'll post up a pic.

Here's the pic, i hope:

Looks like a great setup!
  • jorsworsjorswors Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Look on Craigslist for a rolltop desk. I get one everytime I move. You can find them used for $20-100 quite easy. They have plenty of drawers and holders for flash and things and when you are done tying you just roll it down and no mess
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    X3 on the rolltop desk.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    I'd rather not show mine...