PackerYaker

Rigging the Wavewalk Kayak is a piece of cake since the rods fit into the holders on top of the hulls and everything else pretty much fits inside the hulls. Staying warm and dry is also no problem. Neither is standing and stretching.

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    Hey PackerYaker, you ever taken that dual-hull to the open sea? I'd be curious to see how it performs offshore.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • PackerYakerPackerYaker Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    No jcanracer, I fish the numerous mangrove shorelines and oyster bars along the Nature Coast within a mile or two of shore. I believe a few other Wavewalk owners have ventured out further - some of their reports and videos may be available on the www.wavewalk.com website.
  • PackerYakerPackerYaker Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Just a follow-up, jcanracer, if you go to the www.wavewalk.com website, click on the blog, and scroll down to the video showing paddling the Wavewalk kayak during Hurricane Irene, you should get a good idea of how it would perform offshore.
  • Flat yakkinFlat yakkin Posts: 192 Deckhand
    Notice they did not paddle crosswind...I had one of these Yaks and if you capsize it and you will...you are done. The entire yak fills up with water and you will have to pump or bail water for a long time to be able to get back in it and get somewhere. I would rather be in any SOT yak instead of that one in those conditions. Who needs to stand up in those conditions anyways. For anyone who wants to argue...test ride one and capsize it and see how much water gets in it.
  • FLCoyoteFLCoyote Posts: 271 Deckhand
    Flatyakkin, Anyone with leg problems/artificial knees, etc. is who would need to stand occasionally. Getting out of a standard Yak without help or getting soaked is just about impossible for anyone who has leg problems and has been sitting in the L position for a couple of hours. All of that said this is the only Yak designed to take a motor. Same again some people just aren't in good enough shape tp row for hours/miles. My Wavewalk is being delivered tomorrow and I'll post with an honest opinion. If I do capsize easily I'll post that too.
    Tight lines

FLCoyote
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    :Popcorn
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • jbmjbm Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    FLCoyote did you get your Wavewalk and how did it work for you? I'm planning to make the purchase next month (Jan 2014) I'm probably several years away from the knee replacement but it is on the horizon.
  • FLCoyoteFLCoyote Posts: 271 Deckhand
    JBM, I did get my Wavewalk and took it out three times fishing in the first two weeks and it handled very well. I found it to be a little more tippy than I thought, but I think thats because I've had both knees replaced and don't have very good balance. I found that I could stand up to stretch without any difficulty and you can get in and out of it without getting your feet wet. You can paddle the front pontoons right up on to the bank and just walk out of it. Then I started messing with it, I bought a new Suzuki 2 1/2 HP outboard and an articulated tiller. Then the problems/issues started. The motor is too heavy 29 pounds) to allow you to sit at the rear of the cockpit and every time I tried to sit in the middle the stadium seat I bought gradually slipped to the rear, this allowed water to come over the rear of the cockpit and down my back. The articulated tiller is not intuitive to operate and I never did get used to it. I just went ahead and bought a straight extended tiller and that works much better for me. The Suzuki has a gearshift from neutral to forward and thats another problem as you have to be in the rear of the boat to shift in and out of gear. Thats why Wavewalk reccomends the Honda as it has a centrifical clutch thus eliminating the need for the gearshift. Difference is the Honda costs around $1200 and I got the Suzuki for $734. I will improvise an extended Gearshift in the near future. I also put outriggers on it for stabilization, didn't realize they weren't designed for use with a motor and the first time I opened up Suzuki up, the outrigger floats pulled off the supporting aluminum rods. Just about all of the problems I experienced were self inflicted and have been a humbling experience. The Wavewalk is everything its advertised to be and until I started trying to turn it into an outboard powered craft everything was great. I had hand surgery about a month ago and had to abandon working on the Wavewalk for awhile. Should be able to get back to it in about three weeks. Have another surgery (other hand) around the end of January and will probably be out of action for about two months after that. I've got to find a good seat that will keep me in the middle of the craft when using it with the motor attached. All in all it is much more comfortable and is the only solution for anyone with leg problems. I definitely recommend it. Using an electric trolling motor with the battery forward is a great idea if you aren't going to travel far. I had/have visions of running five or six miles to remote fishing spots with the outboard and then turning it up and rowing around to fish. You can email me at [email protected] if I can add anything else. It is very easy to load/unload in my pick up truck.

FLCoyote
  • :Popcorn

Haha
  • NorthFLCrackerNorthFLCracker Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    :signs
    :driver: