Skip to main content
Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

By Dec. 9! Snapper Reallocation Public Comment

http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketBrowser;rpp=25;po=0;D=NOAA-NMFS-2013-0146

Deadline for submission is December 9th - if you feel that the current 51%/49% red snapper split is not in the best interests of the nation or Gulf recreational anglers, then you need to submit your comments. If they ignore your comments and proceed anyway despite overwhelming opposition, then it at least would build a case, on the record, for possible legal action.

When you go to this link, take note of the many supposedly "recreational" charter captains speaking out AGAINST reallocation - just goes to show they are not representing the recreational fishery, but instead acting as pawns for The Environmental Defense Fund.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton

Replies

• FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 376 Moderator
    Thanks for posting this, Tom.

This is a can't-miss opportunity to straighten out the ridiculous situation where a few hundred commercial fishermen get year-round access to the red snapper resource while the many thousands of recreational fishermen get a few weeks a year to fish.

If anyone reading this has a copy of the December 2013 issue of FS, please read my editorial on p52.

You can guess how many of the 200 commercial IFQ permit holders will be on record favoring status quo on the allocation. And guaranteed there will be seafood industry boosters on there, too.

If you like to catch red snapper, COMMENT THIS WEEK!

We need to post this on the Regions Forum pages, too. And I'll have something on the front page tomorrow.
    Jeff Weakley
  • StillinscrubsStillinscrubs Posts: 1,844 Officer
    Tom Hilton wrote: »
    http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketBrowser;rpp=25;po=0;D=NOAA-NMFS-2013-0146

Deadline for submission is December 9th - if you feel that the current 51%/49% red snapper split is not in the best interests of the nation or Gulf recreational anglers, then you need to submit your comments. If they ignore your comments and proceed anyway despite overwhelming opposition, then it at least would build a case, on the record, for possible legal action.

When you go to this link, take note of the many supposedly "recreational" charter captains speaking out AGAINST reallocation - just goes to show they are not representing the recreational fishery, but instead acting as pawns for The Environmental Defense Fund.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton

Tom,

One of the respondents refers to option 6 of the TAC giving 100% allocation to the recreational sector. So that myself and other recreational anglers might respond with factual information, do you have a link outlining these options? I want to do all that I can to support the citizens getting their resources back under their control not in a businessman's hands.

Are any of the recreational groups creating a form letter for this purpose? Like say the CCA or RFA?

Thank you for you efforts.
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,595 Captain
    Of course maintaining their 51% allocation means HUGE profits for the Red Snapper IFQ shareholders - MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in increased profits. It also means continued damage to our recreational fishing infrastructure - BILLONS OF DOLLARS in damages have already been documented due to the hijack of our fisheries management in 2006, which by the way, introduced Red Snapper IFQs here in the Gulf.

One rising trend of the Red Snapper IFQ Program is that more and more IFQ shareholders do not own a commercial reef fish permit - currently about 1/3 of the Red Snapper IFQ shareholders do not own a commercial fishing permit and are simply using their shares a financial instruments by leasing their quota. This is in effect levying of Resource Rent by select few individuals/corporations on other Americans for harvesting our Public Trust Resource (our fish), given to them for FREE. That is just plain wrong, any way you slice it. The system needs to be changed so that leasing between shareholders/fishermen is prohibited and the leasing should be directly between the government and the fishermen ACTUALLY DOING THE FISHING. No other entitlement programs such as welfare or food stamps allow the recipients to trade, lease, or sell them - why do they allow it here, especially when it deals with the harvest of our Public Trust Resource?

There is something clearly inherently wrong when the system has been rigged so that select few individuals/corporations are able to collect Resource Rent from other Americans for something that they got for FREE, when you consider that the nation does not, nor the fisheries themselves, benefit from the harvest of our Public Trust Resources that we ALL own - just a few well-connected individuals/corporations benefiting from their entitlements.

Do not be confused here - THAT is what this is ALL about - it's not about providing fresh seafood to our markets/restaurants. The Red Snapper IFQ shareholders want to maximize their windfall profits derived from levying Resource Rent on our Public Trust Resources, especially when you look at the options on the table such as Inter-Sector Trading, Recreational IFQs, and Cooperatives where leasing our Public Trust Resource is integral to their concept.

Enough of this foolishness. How is this even legal? It's certainly NOT Fair and Equitable.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
  • Sad, just really sad.

Comment submitted.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Chester BrewerChester Brewer Posts: 171 Officer
    Stillinscrubs,

I don't know if any organisations have set up form letters. If you want to know more about the issues on reallocation go to joincca.org. look around a bit and you will find several papers and a link, that works, to make comments. RFA has also sent around an email on the subject that you can find at joinrfa.org . Capt. Hilton is correct in his statements about astroturf organisations attempting to flood the comments. We need to let the Gulf Council folks know that we know what is going on and that we are watching them. Chester Brewer
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,595 Captain
    Chester is correct - the system is being manipulated by the well-funded enviro corporations that have a vested interest in making sure Catch Shares/IFQs get ramrodded through while this shameless administration is still in power.

For example here's the breakdown of the public comments for the Headboat IFQ Pilot EFP ;
    Headboat EFP Comments

Click on a category to view the email comments

Opposed (PDF contains 535 email comments)
    Support #1 (PDF contains 28 email comments)
    Support #2 (PDF contains 5 emails that are representative of 147 similarly worded emails)
    Support #3 (PDF contains 12 emails that are representative of 7438 similarly worded emails)

Support #3 only shows 12 emails showing the names of supporters, BUT claiming that there are 7,438 unnamed supporters filling our a form letter from THE ENVIRONMENTAL DEFENSE ACTION FUND. In total, there are only 45 supporters named, and supposed 7,585 unnamed supporters.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Do they not have the time or budget to post the name of ALL of the "supposed" supporters? Or do they want to claim support when there actually is none?

I WOULD PUT FORTH THAT THE MOST LIKELY SCENARIO IS THE LATTER.

Also, don't forget that when they went to Public Comment for Sector Separation that it was overwhelmingly 97% OPPOSED to 3% FOR. So, do they kill it due to overwhelming stakeholder opposition? No. It's still on the table 1-1/2 years later.

Just goes to show that the whole process is a sham - looks like the only solution will be a class action lawsuit - I don't think the feds' will be looking forward to the discovery process.

Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,017 Admiral
    I posted my comment for what its worth...
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Comment left in favor of giving to recreational sector