Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

"Made in the USA" a little rod advice...Crowder?

I am putting 2 "made in the USA" combos together. The first will have a Avet exw 30/2 reel and either a st croix legend salt 7' heavy or crowder's equivalent. The second is a avet lx mc with either a st croix tide tide master 8' heavy or again the crowder equivalent. I have no experience with a crowder, and would love any input ya'll might have. The main use of the exw30/2 would be trolling or BIG bait, the lx I will use as utility, bottom, chucking live bait, or even dragging a deep plug. If you know any other reputable American rod builders let me know. Or even specific models. Thanks

Replies

• sneaky snookersneaky snooker Posts: 746 Officer
    I own a half dozen Crowder rods. I am a light tackle inshore fisherman. I am very pleased with their product. Great warranties, plus they are local in stuart so if I ever need work done no shipping. Give them a call and Rob Crowder will answer any questions you might have. Good luck with your new combos !
    2015 Shearwater 23 TE w/ Yamaha SHO 250
  • Angler ManagemntAngler Managemnt Posts: 1,077 Officer
    I believe boomerang and one other small company are the only two left who are all made in the USA companies that exist certainly not crowder. Boomerang can build you EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT to match your reels and fishing type the way you want it. Full lifetime warranty too.
  • blf212blf212 Posts: 243 Deckhand
    I own several crowders from light spinning to bent 50w setups. The are great rods. Never complianed about any of the setup. I don't abuse them either. Clean and regular maintenance helps too.
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    I believe boomerang and one other small company are the only two left who are all made in the USA companies that exist certainly not crowder. Boomerang can build you EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT to match your reels and fishing type the way you want it. Full lifetime warranty too.

yeah, so everything they use is made in the USA? Everything?

I am not familiar with the St Croix, but hard to go wrong with Crowder. Not sure what they will do on the custom front, but for off the shelf rods, the Bluewater Standups pair very nicely with the 30Ex. For the LX, the new sportsman series is nice. The R16SU70 or 16SU66 would be a great choice.
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    First time I have ever heard of boomerang. Their guides and reel seats are Fugi just like Crowders. Is Fugi made in the USA ? Are Boomerangs blanks made in the US ? All I know is half the boats on the treasure coast have Crowders on them. Im sure the Boomerangs are a good rod also. I have been to Crowders facility in stuart and had Rob build a custom bait caster for me. I am a Crowder fan. My .02 :grin
  • avmechavmech Jupiter, FLPosts: 1,382 Officer
    About 85% of my rods, inshore and off are Crowder rods. Great rods and great people to deal with
    Member #10822
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    Crowder rods used to made with lots of quality. Since they have gone into the huge production attitude the quality has gone downhill. The guides are junk, the blanks just aren't the same and break or crack, and the warranty is "helpful" but the turnaround time for repairs can be weeks or months cause they are too "busy". I used to always recommend crowder rods but all I've heard back about them is they are junk. I since switched to Star Rods and have been greatly impressed with the rods they make. For the price they are well worth every dollar I spent. I like the split grip style that Star Rods have. If you really want a crowder rod for inshore let me know, I'd be glad to get rid of mine. They are all replacements after they broke, cracked, or guides fall that fell off. They just sit in the garage collecting dust.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    snook87 wrote: »
    Crowder rods used to made with lots of quality. Since they have gone into the huge production attitude the quality has gone downhill. The guides are junk, the blanks just aren't the same and break or crack, and the warranty is "helpful" but the turnaround time for repairs can be weeks or months cause they are too "busy". I used to always recommend crowder rods but all I've heard back about them is they are junk. I since switched to Star Rods and have been greatly impressed with the rods they make. For the price they are well worth every dollar I spent. I like the split grip style that Star Rods have. If you really want a crowder rod for inshore let me know, I'd be glad to get rid of mine. They are all replacements after they broke, cracked, or guides fall that fell off. They just sit in the garage collecting dust.
    I have NEVER had any part of a crowder rod break in the 10 years I have used them. Including two I have purchased in the past year. My rods are fished extensively. I feel you may have a personal issue with Crowder. Any other forum members have breakage problems with Crowder ?
    No, nothing personal. Just get pissed when a rod cracks and crowder takes a month longer then what they say to replace. Owned many of their rods and it's the newer ones that break. I have some of the first ones they made and they hold up no problem. Just that past 5 I got over the past 3 years just went to crap. Idk if they are using a different blank form Simone else, bad materials, or are just being pushed to pump out as many rods as possible. Just my .02
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I totally respect your opinion. I also feel that Star makes a great rod. When I went to Crowders facility in stuart he had two or three ladies wrapping rods. I don't know where he gets his blanks, but his guides and reel seats are Fugi. He also uses a premium cork on his butts. I have owned and used star, redbone, fisher, Gary Loomis and fenwick to name a few. Only problems I have had with any have been my own fault such as ceiling fans, car doors , and tailgates ! Never had any rod crack . My most recent purchase from Crowder was a Blue Steel series with fugi sic guides. If we all liked the same thing there would only be one flavor of ice cream ! Tight lines and good fishing !
    I'll see if I can dig up the pics. Crowder no longer makes these rods anymore, not sure why. They also won't replace them if they break and you are forced to pay for a new rod which sucks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I noticed they no longer make the blue steel series. Are they the ones that cracked on you ?Just checked crowders website and it says lifetime guarantee on blue steel series against defects in product or workmanship. Still curious what models you had issues with. Don't need pics, I certainly take your word for it.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,440 Captain
    IDK anything about crowder, but my understanding is that Blackfin rods, built somewhere near Stuart as well, are one of the only places that makes their own blanks and of course here in USA/FL.

From their website, just for my own curiosity:
    Offshore fishing takes a toll on all of your tackle and gear. We manufacture all of our rods with this in mind. Unlike most manufacturers, we hand roll our own e-glass blanks in our Stuart Florida facility to ensure our product has the strength and quality you expect. Our rods are assembled using only the finest components our industry has grown to trust. Aftco, American Tackle, Fuji, Winthrop and Stuart are included in our preferred list of parts.

I own no blackfin rods nor have any affiliation, I just saw them do a seminar once at WPBFC
    It seems to me that Bruce at treasure coast rod mentioned Blackfin to me and said they made a great rod and that they did roll their own blanks. Anybody own any of these rods ?
    I had several chowders fail several times.
    Boomerangs use ALL Fuji seats and guides and are built one at a time here in SE Florida, you can also get alps and Stuart and Winthrop and any color scheme you want. There's a reason why 35 out of the 46 rods I use are boomerangs.
    Also yes I own 6 black fin rods. They manufacture their own blanks. Very nice rods, very high price tag compared to others.
  • Snooky SnacksSnooky Snacks Posts: 69 Deckhand
    I like the boomerangs they are the better looking rods out of the 3. That really means nothing. Looking online the other two are massed produced, which I agree with some of the comments, things get missed when you try to do quantity. It may not happen to every rod but ***** happens we are human. I am going to give all 3 a try. I am gonna try a custom 30-50lb rig from boomerang for the LX, a crowder 50-80lb stock rig for the 30, a light tackle blackfin for an older ambassador reel I have. As far as cost goes they are all cheaper than st. Croix. St.Croix's, just for ya'lls info, make there own blanks and some of there rods (higher cost)are made in the US(up north). They are expensive but good. Granted, I'm simple minded, I don't like aluminum butts, rollers, curved buts. I don't have enough experience I reckon. I don't think the fish care though. Thank you to everyone's insight and input. Very informative!
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    Thate ridiculous.. there's always a chance that a rod can break, all it takes is one little hairline crack or nick from accidental mishandling. I've owned crowders forever and only broke 2. Both my fault (garage door and me high sticking a fish really hard). And they either fixed the rod withing 2-3 days or gave me a new one on the spot. I was also under the impressiin that blackfin and crowder use the same blanks. I've looked at them hard when they are on a rack right next to each other and they appear the same. I also own a blackfin, great rod as well. Either or you can't go wrong
    Ive come to realize people are very opinionated about rods. I think all above mentioned rods are good rods. I have owned a variety of rods in my life and only breakage I have had has been my fault. Having been by crowders warehouse in stuart for a custom built rod I don't see how maybe three people wrapping rods can be considered mass production ? Also all of my Crowders have Fugi hardware and nothing else. That being said I enjoy and take care of my tackle and get many years of good service. Next time I have a rod built I might try a blackfin, boomerang or others.
    To supply the amount of companies crowder does they must push the **** out of those 3 wrappers! I won't pretend to know anything from the videos and info I've found on the company and the owner. I apologize!
  • JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    Lott Brothers in North Palm Beach has more rod building experience than any of these companies. They've been building rods since 1945. You can get whatever hardware you want; blanks, guides, reel seats, butts, etc. I have owned many Lott's rods over the years and never had any issues, and got exactly what I wanted. You can pick up a rod off the shelf, or have one custom made to your specifications. 561-844-0244.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Crowders are great, a little heavy IMO, but they also stand behind their work 100%... I also use Boomerang for trolling rods and JPRrods.com (acid wrap) for my bottom fishing rods.... All made in the USA
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    Yup had the ceramic fall out of guide last month.
    But all in all decent rods for the price.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • rysherrysher Posts: 381 Deckhand
    no rod is 100% u.s.a.
    assembled in the u.s.a with foreign components.
  • FS JimFS Jim Posts: 475 Moderator
    Lamiglas or Biscayne Rods are both made in the USA.
  • rysherrysher Posts: 381 Deckhand
    FS Jim wrote: »
    Lamiglas or Biscayne Rods are both made in the USA.
    not the guides, reel seat, thread etc...
    it should read, "assembled in the u.s.a. with foreign components".
    rysher wrote: »
    not the guides, reel seat, thread etc...
    it should read, "assembled in the u.s.a. with foreign components".

You are right
    There is very little truly made in America, truth be told the way things are manufactured it is probably better they pollute else where any way. We have enough of these problems. On a side note boomerang rods ordered. The others I am still contemplating which company for each rod