Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

ORV destruction on public lands is not "heritage" or "tradition"

12346»

Replies

• GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 885 Officer
    GRIZZL wrote: »
    Ahhh The Surly bike..$`1700+ wow....they have a flotation 4" Monster!

THX!

Wally World has 26" Mongoose 4" tire bikes that Amazon sells for $400 for $199 (single sprocket but thats OK). I just bought 2...cheap enough to not worry too much is they get stolen in the woods...I'd hate to leave a $1700 bike locked to a tree in gun season :grin

Will test out scouting at Toso when they get here...:crossed

Cyclist..THANKS for posting those pics!!! I was pushing my bike most of the time this year!!!
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    Wally World has 26" Mongoose 4" tire bikes that Amazon sells for $400 for $199 (single sprocket but thats OK). I just bought 2...cheap enough to not worry too much is they get stolen in the woods...I'd hate to leave a $1700 bike locked to a tree in gun season :grin

Will test out scouting at Toso when they get here...:crossed

Cyclist..THANKS for posting those pics!!! I was pushing my bike most of the time this year!!!

Single speed is fine.

Check this out, or just make one. I pulled a bob about 3,000 miles and loved it.

http://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers/yak

yak-132.jpg

I like this Mongoose. Haven't shopped wally world in 25 years.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Beast-Men-s-Oversized-All-Terrain-Bike/22861845
    Cyclist wrote: »

I like this Mongoose. Haven't shopped wally world in 25 years.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Beast-Men-s-Oversized-All-Terrain-Bike/22861845

YUP, thats the one...just bought 2 1 for me 1 for son

THANKS AGIN!
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    YUP, thats the one...just bought 2 1 for me 1 for son

THANKS AGIN!

Be sure and give us a holler after trying them out. They roll nice, you will have fun.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,160 Moderator
    I bought a 29" bike from Wally World a couple months ago. Those taller tires are absolutely wonderful when riding down woods roads. The one I got was a 21 speed for $149. Put it on the lowest gear and you can pedal through sand or foot tall grass without hardly noticing it with those bigger tires.
    james 14 wrote: »
    I bought a 29" bike from Wally World a couple months ago. Those taller tires are absolutely wonderful when riding down woods roads. The one I got was a 21 speed for $149. Put it on the lowest gear and you can pedal through sand or foot tall grass without hardly noticing it with those bigger tires.

I have a regular bike too and it works up north...In Toso..not so much..very wet and soft along the river

A Bike works better than a game cart and it gets you there!
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,358 Captain
    Certainly appropriate "ORV" thread would cycle to off road bicycle!

There are chunks of hunt country in the Pacific Northwest where bikes are the recognized, in fact only legal mode of wheel transportation.
    For Florida,"Mountain Bike" is a misleading bummer of an ID,Florida is a top off road bike state and there is plenty of hunt country bike access & use opportunity.
    (Kinda makes me so happy to no longer live in deep south Florida......)

I have an ancient Nishike (spelling?) 21 speed with rear pack frame,saddle bag and gun holder.What a great vehicle for National Forest roads.Summer rambles at the lease when it is quiet,National Forest small game season. Quietly cover a lot of ground- Hog Ramble!
    Turkey "ride" & gun......
    Spend hours,or the day. Pack some good eats and drink.

Personally,I prefer the multi speed option- super low gear is good for low speed 'creep',gear options easier on the legs.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    FloridaOD wrote: »
    Certainly appropriate "ORV" thread would cycle to off road bicycle!

Personally,I prefer the multi speed option- super low gear is good for low speed 'creep',gear options easier on the legs.

Thats the beauty of these forums..I have NEVER heard of a FATBIKE before...I will eventually get a multi geared version for me and the wife..Lots of trails in Florida...but the "cheapo" is GREAT for hunting, leaving off the trail and walking to a site and not worrying too much about loosing a BIG investment. THOSE TIRES caught my eye in Cyclist's pic!!!! THAT'S why I read this forum..pick up info!
  • CletusClarkCletusClark Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Im a fourth generation Glades hunter. In particularly, Big Cypress.Yes there have been a few bad eggs who owned buggies and mis-used them. Most Buggy owners in the BC are very responsible folk. The biggest thing ive noticed about ORV reaction to the BC topography is that if you limit them to a specific trail the damage will be much greater and longer lesting than dispersed use. There are roughly 1000 registered buggies in the BC. In my opinion and experience, that is no where near enough buggies to warrant designated trails. Once again , I've seen the area heal completely between seasons in areas of dispersed use. Like the photo's shown earlier, when you isolate access to a few areas you are gauranteed to get lasting scarring. Also, IMO the biggest damage to the"River of Grass" has not been buggies, it's been US SUGAR CORP. I personaly wished the people who have an interest in the Glades , would direct their hate in that direction and not towards other hunters (buggy owners or not). My favorite place in the world is the Big Cypress, those that get it , get it. Those that don't, never will.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    I get it...don't forget ACOE,and SFWMD