Boat Parade Lighting Advice

PolarBeerPolarBeer Posts: 113 Officer
First year boat owner and family wants to enter a local holiday boat parade. It's a small boat (20' bay) so we were just wanting to string lights all over the place. What's the best way to do this regarding plug ins, stripping wire and/or direct connect to battery, etc. I've got two main batteries, two trolling motor batteries, and a cigarette plug outlet. Any advice on precautions, things to avoid, things to add would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    a lot of boats use portable generators and run standard house Christmas lighting.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • orlandoliteorlandolite Posts: 162 Officer
    I've done it using 12 volt batteries with a power converter box with plug ins from harbor freight- probably the easiest way especially if you already have trolling motor batteries on the boat
  • PolarBeerPolarBeer Posts: 113 Officer
    Thanks for the tips. I'll look into the converter box route.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    I've done it using 12 volt batteries with a power converter box with plug ins from harbor freight- probably the easiest way especially if you already have trolling motor batteries on the boat

do you mean inverter?

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,875 Captain
    You can buy rolls of led lights (12v) on eBay for next to nothing. All different colors and you can hook them directly to your battery if you want.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • orlandoliteorlandolite Posts: 162 Officer
    that'd be it
  • MikeM8560MikeM8560 Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    ive got some led light for the house I forget how long but 3 strands hoese arounf 4 sides of the house and will wprk pluged to gether and not blow like normal light do with too many connected anyway I had a small inverter used to run a laptop in a camper my Goldwing would run the whole sting fine on the inverter
    Screenshot%2034_zpsw1lfjmax.jpg