**** Bay Snook fishing

I wanted to take the hewes out into whitewater to do some fishing, but I realized that my lower unit on the engine was broken, so we improvised and decided to fish **** Bay on the yaks. It was way too windy to go out in front and look for redfish, so we had to explore the inside, which was a great and painful learning experience. Waking up at 4:30 didn't sound appealing with all of the gale force winds tearing up the everglades, but I really was in the mood to catch a snook. We made a stop to the grocery store for some bug spray and lots of beef jerky and we were on our way. When we got there, we were getting assassinated by mosquitos and had to move quick to get out of their way under the ramp. At our launch spot, we saw some poons rolling and jumped a couple with my new 8wt setup. We then went through a tunnel that led us into **** bay. This tunnel was long, was infested with mosquitos and spiders, but it was absolutely breathtaking being under those mangroves. Once we got out into the bay, we immediately started working the shoreline, starting off casting top waters then moving to artificial. I had a pretty big snook come right up to the skitter walk and turn away at the boat, that got my adrenaline going. We didn't get many hits afterwards so I put on a paddle tail and started working the shorlines and under the mangroves. In no time, I had a snook take me under the trees. The snook was a pee wee but they still fight really well. I took the skunk off and caught some more on artificial and decided to take it up a notch. I pulled out the 8 wt and started casting into the fallen trees with a couple of flies I tied. I ended up getting two snook and losing a big one. I finally got my first snook on fly, he was a pee wee, but still fun none the less. It was a great day exploring and hoping to fix the hewes and go out front.

Tight Lines!
Hunter

Replies

• CannibleCannible Posts: 358 Officer
    You didn't happen to find a pelagic visor at the entrance did you?
  • NutterNutter Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Nice way to improvise and still get some fishing in. I'm looking to head out there this weekend and looking to target **** Bay. Where did you put in at? I was thinking of trying to put in at **** Pond.
  • snook_smugglersnook_smuggler Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Nutter wrote: »
    Nice way to improvise and still get some fishing in. I'm looking to head out there this weekend and looking to target **** Bay. Where did you put in at? I was thinking of trying to put in at **** Pond.

Thanks, and yeah I put in at **** Bay pond, there is a mangrove tunnel that you go through to get into **** Bay. Bring LOTS of bugspray especially at the pond where you put in, I didn't think we were going to get bit because the cold weather but we sure did.
  • snook_smugglersnook_smuggler Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Cannible wrote: »
    You didn't happen to find a pelagic visor at the entrance did you?

Nope, sorry man.