Great Harbour Cay, Berry Islands

Launch 'emLaunch 'em Posts: 96 Deckhand
I've never made the run here or to the pocket to fish. I've only run to Grand Cay (Walker's), Freeport, West End, and Bimini. I've got a 2/2 condo for sale here that comes with a Ford F-150 Truck (asking $325K), and I'm trying to find potential buyers, but need some key selling points. If you've been here and had a good or bad experience, I'd like to here about it. How's the security? How's the run to the fishing grounds? Decent diving near, etc..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
For all of your South Florida real estate needs, call me! I specialize in waterfront property.
786-897-0969 www.miamirealestate.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The Audrey Ross Team, EWM Realtors

Replies

• 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    I love the place. Never had an issue with security, fishing in NW channel can be great, diving is very good. Have met some great people there, some of which have traveled the entire Bahamas before buying a place there.
    Is the condo on the beach or in the marina?
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    i think you will find that overall it is an excellent place in the islands for fishing/diving with lots of options. There is not alot to do other than that, not many restaurants/bars/shops etc. Most people either love it or hate it because of that. FWIW, I went for 3-4 days and while I enjoyed the time, l would rather go to other places.
    Its kind of off the beaten path, not alot of people just happen by the place
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer
    Spent a week there a few years ago. Don't plan to ever go back, much better options elsewhere.
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    Sorry, probably not what you want to hear but unless they get some big time upgrades by the marina I probably won't stop there again. We took one look at the restaurant up on the hill and my wife suggested spaghetti on the boat. The kids like a pool and the 8" of water full of tadpoles wasn't going to cut it. They were really into having WiFi this summer and the WiFi on the docks was pretty much unusable. The locals clean their fish and conch on the docks and the mess they leave left flies everywhere, not to mention the trash piles every so many yards. I will say that the beaches were stunning and I wish we would have stayed an extra day or two to explore the islands and go down to the blue hole but we decided to go over to Big Game Club on Bimini instead. It might have been better if we were with a group that knew the ins and outs of the place...
    2003 Viking 45C
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    I'll have to counter my pal Bspot here and Skipkid.

GHC is my favorite place North of the Out Islands. It's much like (ahem) Bimini used to be. No pink shorts types like you find in the Abacos and Eleuthera. A bit seedy and lacking luster, yes, but therein lies part of it's charm. None of the yahoos you find in Bimini and Lucaya. Laid back about as far as you can get and one of the best beaches anywhere. The best 'hoo fishing grounds in the NW Providence Channel just off the Bank. The bones are thick on the flats. A great starting point to explore the Mid-Berry chain with the exception of the POS cruise ship on what used to be Great Stirrup Cay just North.
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    LOL. Blue, I was actually thinking of you when I wrote that because I know you love it there. Like I said, it is beautiful and with the right circumstances I'm sure I'd like it better. It just wasn't right for my family at the time. It's nice to see something other than Bimini talked about here anyway!
    2003 Viking 45C
    It certainly isn't for everyone but if you are on a fishing trip its hard to beat.
  • 31c31c Posts: 49 Deckhand
    I've been going there on and off since late 70's - not much has changed except more houses on the east side. Marina / townhomes still the same, but have been fixed up by private money. Really no night life, but if you fish/ dive all day I'm to tired to go out anyway. I will say we quit diving over there because of the number and SIZE of the sharks we encountered. We do our diving at GBreads on way over. Good fishing on east side -
  • UF1991UF1991 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I have been to GHC three times and always stayed in the Townhouses across from the marina. The town houses are hit and miss, some are great, some have a lot of problems with plumbing etc. Our last trip (June 2013) the power plant was having problems and we had a couple nights without power. That being said I would would rather have no power and take cold showers than be stuck in the crowds of Bimini and other islands.

The diving is great but as 31c mentioned the sharks are thick and seem to have been worse on our most recent trip. Every time we stopped the boat to dive the sharks showed up before we had even shot anything. They didnt bother us much, just surprising since the year before we saw very few sharks. The sharks also made deep dropping impossible as they tore up our rig on every other drop, we ran out of weights very quickly.

The bone fishing is unbelievable just make sure you have a boat that can get skinny, or be prepared to do a lot of walking, there is a lot of shallow water.
  • snookpigsnookpig Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    I love it BECAUSE it peaked in the 70s. General decline since. Classic example of giant infusion of U.S. cash, then 30 years of decline.
    Fishing is good but thats it........
  • Launch 'emLaunch 'em Posts: 96 Deckhand
    This is great info. Thanks to all of you who have shared your experiences. I'll certainly know how to better market the place and to what clientel because of your comments. I'd like to make a stop there next spring/summer. Sounds like my kind of place. All I need is great fishing, a decent meal (which I can do myself), and a bed to crash in. Not sure if it's right for my wife and kids, but you never know...

Much appreciated!
    For all of your South Florida real estate needs, call me! I specialize in waterfront property.
    One more thing, GHC has one of the best short runway airports in the islands; many of the homeowners there fly their own light aircraft in. This might be a good selling point to that particular segment if you can find a way to seek them out.
  • Launch 'emLaunch 'em Posts: 96 Deckhand
    Blue Zone wrote: »
    One more thing, GHC has one of the best short runway airports in the islands; many of the homeowners there fly their own light aircraft in. This might be a good selling point to that particular segment if you can find a way to seek them out.

Great idea! I'm on it already. In addition to real estate, I'm a pilot!! Never flown in there, but that would be my dream situation. Leave the boat over there and fly in and out to fish. One day...
  • designated_hitterdesignated_hitter Posts: 837 Officer
    Here is a pic I took there, pretty nice selling point.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385140790.851573.jpg
    Here is a pic I took there, pretty nice selling point.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385140790.851573.jpg

Sugar Beach. I'd say the finest beach in the islands. Seeing anyone else there is a rarity.
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    Is Sugar Beach outside??
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
    lbud wrote: »
    Is Sugar Beach outside??

Well, it's not indoors. About a 20 cart ride North up by the last light pole on the East side.
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    wow that is pretty. I may stop at Great Harbour on my way to Staniel next summer, will have to check that out.