Recent Trips from OBB to Grand Cay

ThomasjohnThomasjohn Posts: 2 Greenhorn
Looking to get any suggestion's from Captain's who have transited to Grand from OBB with a 5 1/2' draft. Which was the best water they found running the Bank? I was looking to go just to the north side of Mangrove Cay then across to Grand Cay.

Replies

• Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    For sure stay on the North side of Mangrove then go South of Great Sale. Keep Great Sale about 1/4 mi to your port as the shallow water extends pretty far off the cay to the South. If you have time, nose in a bit toward Great Sale; pretty conchy there...
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,130 AG
    5 1/2 feet might be pushing it going through the Indian Cay Channel from OBB and I know that larger boats will run north and get up onto the bank near Memory Rock...... then across to Grand. You'd want a near full/full high tide to run through Indian Cay Channel.

Pick up a copy of The Abaco Guide by Stephen J. Pavlidis. He provides some good guidance in that book as to cross from OBB to Walkers/Grand safely in various sized boats.

The Cruising Guide to Abaco by Steve Dodge is another "must have". He goes into depth (with pics) as to how to enter the Grand Harbour safely.
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    I THINK you'd be ok in Indian cut if you have the tide and you are careful but my new to me boat has 4 1/2' draft and I plan to go in at Memory rocks next time I go (hopefully two weeks...).
    2003 Viking 45C
  • ThomasjohnThomasjohn Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info, looks like if the weather holds up were going to cut into the bank at Memory Rock then up to Grand.
  • C Skip RC Skip R Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Thomasjohn wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, looks like if the weather holds up were going to cut into the bank at Memory Rock then up to Grand.

John,
    That's definitely the best route. No way should you try going through ICC with a 5.5ft draft whether its high tide or not.
    Skip