Home General Freshwater Fishing

Some italian fishes

BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 7,451 Admiral
Hi guys, here some FW fish from Italy :wink.
I think could be interesting show them.

This is a "siluro" catfish (Siluros glanis), an invasive species from east of Europe who has colonized (especially because we have a lot of idiot anglers in Italy, who put them everywere) a lot of lakes and rivers.

9ncr.jpg
1l6k.jpg
9cf3.jpg

Then I suppose you know very well which kind of fish are these :grin

g4eg.jpg
456z.jpg
5df1.jpg
b6uf.jpg

Brown trouts (Salmo trutta)

jna6.jpg
lei9.jpg
50yu.jpg
nv5.JPG
zxj3.jpg
h2pj.JPG

These are "not more common" mediterranean trouts (Salmo cettii, Salmo macrostigma and others, the discussion about species and genotypes/fenotypes is ever very hot :grin. In any case those are the ancestral trouts of peninsular Italy).

mzr7.jpg
vgkr.jpg
am3z.jpg

And this is the queen of trouts, a marbled trout (Salmo marmoratus) actually the only endemic species of trouts of North of Italy (only at north of Po river).

This one is a perfect exemplar

dasopra.jpg
testaqh.jpg
girata1.jpg

Godbye baby
[video=youtube_share;GTMbZZKSVyQ]

And this is a hybrid (with brown) one (in any case an amazing fish)

33010539.jpg
77027971.jpg

That's all folks, I hope was interesting.

P.S. Almost all the fishes were released.
Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
********************************************************************************************************************************
I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
No hope in herd immunity although we don't miss the sheep
Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,735 Moderator
    Awesome ! And to think I once gave up a trip to Italy because I would not be able to fish.
    I may have to make the trip now piesano. I have relatives there.

Thanks for sharing.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,849 Captain
    Thanks so much for posting Ballak!!! I had no idea you had L/M Bass over there as well as your own species of trout! The Brownies are beautiful especially that buttery colored one! I thought the small trout w/ the par markings was a rainbow till the next shot (close-up)when I saw the red spots, obviously something close relations to a brown! When I saw the photo of the Marbled Trout, I thought it was some sort of char w/ the light worm like markings on it's back but then seeing the dark spotting on it's face made me realize it has to be a true trout! Wild looking fish!! Were all these fish caught in the same water? Those trout and bass are good size and would be a great catch anywhere here in the USA!!! Seeing you releasing those fish bought a smile to my face and kind of surprised me!!! Being of Italian decent like Capt. Louie (who told me about your post) I know how much Italians love to eat fish!!! My Family still have the 7 fishes on Christmas Eve here pasted down from my Grandparents (Both from Italia!) keeping the tradition alive though the generations! Are there a lot of C&R fishers over there? Also being a flyfisherman, I'll bet most of the flyfishers practice C&R also as they mostly do here??? I also love eating fish and do keep a few for the table from saltwater but still release most and all the bass I catch in our lakes and rivers go back and trout when I'm lucky enough to travel up north (where I grew up!) to fish for them! Seeing You post in FS makes me wonder, do you ever get over here to Florida? If so I'd love to fish w/ You if you do! I live in the Big Bend section and fish mostly inshore but do venture out a little sometimes looking for grouper & cobia. Please post again sometime! I really enjoyed your story, photos and even learned a couple things! Ciao Paisan!
    PS> That Mepps spinner w/ the silver blade is one of my all time favorite freshwater lures!! I think it would catch fish just about everywhere!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 7,451 Admiral
    Snook, I've answered to your questions but my (large :grin) post disappeared because the forum crash.
    I hope you received the post on email through subscription to the thread.
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 7,451 Admiral
    Snook, I found my original post on the PC cache :wink !

Thanks so much for posting Ballak!!! I had no idea you had L/M Bass over there as well as your own species of trout!
    Thanks Snook.

Yes, we have a lot of variety (exotic and endemics) of fishes.
    But just the marbled (at the north of Po river) and mediterranean (at the south of Po river) are endemics because:

- the siluro catfishes were introduced (according to what I read) at the end of ’60 by the fishing federation who bought fish from east of Europe for tournement. Then (and also currently) a lot of morons continued with (illegal) introduction and releasing the fishes. This fish is a pest, it kills everything on the water he infest.

- The LM Bass was introduced the first time at the end of 19th century for alimentary purposes. The first documented introduction was in my county (Varese) and was done on the main lakes (Maggiore aka Verbano, Varese and Ceresio aka Lugano). Then the LMB was introduced into all the internal water of Italy (including Sicily and Sardinia where because the right climate he grown very well).

- The brownies, according to some historic documents, were introduced at the end of medieval period from north of Europe and slowly they substituted the endemics species (marbled and mediterranean), especially in the south of Italy because the mediterranean trout doesn’t reach the size of the marbled (and also of the brown). In any case, after more than 600 years, the brown could actually be considered native although we have a lot of regional programs to preserve and restoring the ancestrals population (both marbled and mediterranean).
    The Brownies are beautiful especially that buttery colored one! I thought the small trout w/ the par markings was a rainbow till the next shot (close-up)when I saw the red spots, obviously something close relations to a brown! When I saw the photo of the Marbled Trout, I thought it was some sort of char w/ the light worm like markings on it's back but then seeing the dark spotting on it's face made me realize it has to be a true trout! Wild looking fish!! Were all these fish caught in the same water?
    No, usually they don’t share the same water. Especially the marbled needs cold (not more 20° C) and abundant water while the mediterranean could live in less-cold waters (until 24/25 °C) and survives at the seasonal water lacks. The brown is a medium way between marbled and mediterrenean (it survives at the moderate water lacks but doesn’t like warm waters).

In any case is not impossible found marbled, brown and mediterranen in the same water and in my county I have marbled and brown very closer (also I have a calabrian wife so I have the opportunity to fish on the south of Italy where we also have some wild rainbow populations). I’m a torrent/river rat :grin so I’m moving a lot to looking for wild trout (I don’t like what we call “chicken trouts”, so the breeded trout) of the different species.
    Those trout and bass are good size and would be a great catch anywhere here in the USA!!! Seeing you releasing those fish bought a smile to my face and kind of surprised me!!! Being of Italian decent like Capt. Louie (who told me about your post) I know how much Italians love to eat fish!!! My Family still have the 7 fishes on Christmas Eve here pasted down from my Grandparents (Both from Italia!) keeping the tradition alive though the generations! Are there a lot of C&R fishers over there?Also being a flyfisherman, I'll bet most of the flyfishers practice C&R also as they mostly do here??? I also love eating fish and do keep a few for the table from saltwater but still release most and all the bass I catch in our lakes and rivers go back and trout when I'm lucky enough to travel up north (where I grew up!) to fish for them!
    Yes, not very common C&R in Italy but especially the spin and fly anglers is moving quickly to this attitude. I usually release all the FW fishes (except siluro catfish of course) except when they are seriously injured and I keep just some SW fishes (especially seabass) but not more 4/5 per year (also yesterday I catched a dozen of bonitos and I released all them, post placed in Forum General Fishing :wink).
    I want that my son (and, why not ? also my daughter) can appreciate the amazing vision of a wild marbled, I want he can climb like a boar :grin the most wild Apennine torrents to found some mediterranean, and I want he can fish in our sea with the possibility to catch some fish :wink.
    Seeing You post in FS makes me wonder, do you ever get over here to Florida? If so I'd love to fish w/ You if you do! I live in the Big Bend section and fish mostly inshore but do venture out a little sometimes looking for grouper & cobia. Please post again sometime! I really enjoyed your story, photos and even learned a couple things! Ciao Paisan!

PS> That Mepps spinner w/ the silver blade is one of my all time favorite freshwater lures!! I think it would catch fish just about everywhere!!!
    I have been in Florida in 2004 (honeymoon) but I never to fish in.
    But next spring I’m coming for the tenth marriage anniversary and will be a very pleasure have the possibility to arrange two cast (so not how I want, but I have to keep calm wife and kids, especially wife :grin) with someone who teach me the local strategies.

I've found forum looking for some fishing trick for Florida, but then I joined because the forum is really interesting and useful to understand a different way to fish.
    In my opinion when an angler is convinced to have understand all about fishing, only looking behind the home corner, he’s loose the right spirit of fishing which is the natural curiosity that any child owns in the soul. And when we are fishing we avoid any adult issues, returning children.

Ciao.

PS> the meeps is the first I cast when I’m looking for trouts :wink.
    PPS> now the torrent/river trout season in off (we’ll start again at the end of Febraury), but I hope to have some lake trouts pictures to show (the season will open on 20th December).
  • glalstonglalston Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Great pictures!!