Wahoo

nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 259 Deckhand
Would you please clear up some confusion that I have regarding fish that are not regulated Federally.

Using the example of wahoo, there is not any Federal regulations on size or harvest. It also states the following:

State Authority in Federal Waters

A state may regulate vessels that are registered in that state and fishing in
federal waters for species for which there are no federal fishery management
plans or applicable federal regulations, or for which the appropriate fishery
management plan has delegated management of the state and the state
rules are consistent with federal regulations.

In the case of wahoo, the State of Florida regulations do not have the symbol

"■ State regulations apply in federal waters"

So, is it legal to take more than 2 wahoo and return to a Florida port?

Thank you for clarifying this situation.

Replies

• nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 259 Deckhand
    I guess that nobody wants to try this one......
    I will, I see you are on the gulf side, since the Wahoo are not regulated in gulf federal water you can bring back more than the two per person state regs allow but do not stop in state water on the way in, go directly to dock. In south Atlantic wafer the federal regs for Wahoo are two per person same as state regs.

Edit: Since this is a state regs ? SA Allen Coker will not respond and the state agents may not either. If you want a answer from the state you may have to call the office in your area or ask a fwd officer when you see one on the water. Hope this helps
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    I will, I see you are on the gulf side, since the Wahoo are not regulated in gulf federal water you can bring back more than the two per person state regs allow but do not stop in state water on the way in, go directly to dock. In south Atlantic wafer the federal regs for Wahoo are two per person same as state regs.

Edit: Since this is a state regs ? SA Allen Coker will not respond and the state agents may not either. If you want a answer from the state you may have to call the office in your area or ask a fwd officer when you see one on the water. Hope this helps

Thanks Roc....I actually would not expect to catch more than two anyway, but it is good to be prepared..