Can't remove cowling, handle/latch is loose

The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
I have a 2006 Mercury 115 4 stroke EFI. The Front cowl latch is loose and will not operate the mechanism inside the cowling so I am unable to remove the cowling.
Is there a way to get behind there to be able to get the cowling off to fix this?
The handle was loose once before and I was able to tighten it, but this was with the cowling off.
I'll think of something witty to put here.....

Replies

• SOSSOS Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    I notice you're not getting much opinions here or the other site so I'll throw something out there as an attempt...

If there is a pop rivet you could drill off the head and remove the latch, remove the cowl and replace the latch?

Shot in the dark but... Some cowls also have a large air intake (Suzuki mainly but...) where you could possibly remove it and get a hand in there?

Good luck man! Someone has had to have this problem before. :crossed

SOS
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    Thanks SOS, I'll give it a look in a day or so. I was able to find threads on some different forums where people have had the same issue but no resolution.
    I'll post back with how I fix it. (hopefully not having to bring it to the shop)
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Have you tried looking at one of those exploded parts lists. If you know just how the locking device works, then maybe you could snake something between the cowling and the gasket and move the lever that locks the cowling to the pan.