Penn Reels free spooling

katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
Hi. Can a Penn rep please tell me why my reels a lot of times when casting go into free spool. After I cast out and close the bail the line just keeps spooling. I have a penn battle 5000 spinning combo with power pro 30 lb line. Tonight I had to cut the entire line and I have to completely redo the entire rod. I have also experienced something similar on my Penn Fierce 8000 reel with 30 lb line.

Why is this happening? Is my drag set too loose? I would appreciate a response on this. Thanks. :huh

Replies

• TunanorthTunanorth Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Not quite sure exactly what you are describing.
    If possible, please give a little more detail about exactly what is happening when you close the bail after casting.
    It is possible that your drag may be set too loose, but that is very easy to test; simply tighten the drag way down, and then see if the issue is still happening.
    If you had the line installed via a line-winding machine where the spool was removed from the reel, it may be that the line was installed backward.
    Otherwise it may be a situation that must be seen in person; you are welcome to send it in to the Penn Service Department to be checked out.
    Penn Pro Staffer
    "The best kind of fish in the world is the one on the end of your line"
    Please add a few more details about exactly what is happening with your reels, but the more I think about it, [and especially because you mention that it has happened with more than one reel], what you may be describing is what happens when a tackle shop or sporting goods store clerk takes your spinning reel spool off the reel, and winds the line on backwards.
    Its easy to do accidentally.
    A sure tipoff is that you have to remove all of the line from the reel down to the knot, and the re-wind it back on, after which it works correctly.
    Penn Pro Staffer
  • Prop BlastProp Blast Posts: 375 Officer
    Steve,

She's got the problem "fixed" (see the thread on the General Fishing Forum). Too much line on the reel apparently. She took it to another tackle shop and they removed the excess line and she used the reel this weekend with no problems.

PB
    Prop Blast wrote: »
    Steve,

She's got the problem "fixed" (see the thread on the General Fishing Forum). Too much line on the reel apparently. She took it to another tackle shop and they removed the excess line and she used the reel this weekend with no problems.

PB

OK got it; sorry for the delay.
    Penn Pro Staffer