Peacock Bass Lures

Nickipod98Nickipod98 Posts: 277 Officer
I heard a small x rap is good any suggestions?
boatless for now

Replies

• former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,478 Officer
    Do a search.... I wrote this a while back... it will help!

Broward Peacocks
    The more spots I frequent for largemouth lately, the more butterfly peacock bass I am encountering. A few years back, South Florida was visited by Jack Frost a little too many times. Peacocks and Jack do not get along. Once water temps dip below 60 degrees, they start to die off. Well Jack has not been back lately, and the Peacock fishery has exploded in the past year or so. Seeing and catching 5 pound fish is not at all uncommon, and fellow anglers agree that this can be the year that a South Florida bank hopper connects with a fish over 11.

Broward County is dotted with miles and miles of canals, lakes, pits, and ponds. Most of which are loaded with fish – but not necessarily peacock bass. A lake may be a largemouth honely hole, but yet void of peacocks. Lakes, ponds, and canals that are generally deep, and connect to each other via underground connections are prime. It seems that the larger the “system” and the larger the connections (pipes) – the better the fishing. Weston is a good example. If you look at a map of Weston , you will see that it is such a large system, that it is almost overwhelming. Walking the system with a pair of polarized glasses, and you will soon see that this area is “peacocky”.

If you can think of one thing to tell a beginner, it probably would be to keep it quick, and if you think it is too quick, speed it up. There are a ton of lures that can be worked quick enough to entice a strike. Most feel that the hard jerkbaits are the most productive, while others prefer crankbaits. Both have their time and place. Although color seems to be of importance to most, I think it is more size and speed than anything else. If I had to pick a color, it would be something I can see. Vision is very important for the angler. Most times a peacock will hit a lure, and quickly get rid of it. Sharp hooks help, but if you can see your lure, you can react with a quick hookset before they “blow” your offering. If matching the hatch is your thing, browns with a little yellow and or orange will closely resemble their primary forage – mayan cichlids and tilupia. Going back to the type of baits. A hard jerkbait, like the Rapala Husky Jerk seems to produce best where you find a gradual slope, or the fish are suspending within a few feet of the surface. Reason being, this lure generally gets down no more than 3 feet. So if you are fishing a lake that has a “beach” like gradual slope, throwing a jerkbait would be a good choice because you can cover the water column. The crankbaits, such as a Rattle Trap, seems to produce best where you have dropoffs or deeper water. A dropoff in West Broward waters can be pretty abrupt. I fish some spots where if you take one step off the bank, you are going to fall quite a few feet, maybe upwards of 12 feet. This is where a crankbait would work its magic. If the fish are holding close to bottom, you can dredge the bottom with a lipless crankbait. If they are suspended down 6 feet in 12 feet of water, you can eventually get a “count down” method going and find them. In these deep waters, nothing has produced more for me than a bait that is generally used by inshore saltwater fisherman. I am talking about DOA Terror Eyez. You can work this lure any way you want. The design of this bait allows the angler to apply the action him or herself. You can work it straight in at fast speeds, or use your rod tip with twitches to give it that erratic jumping motion.

One advantage of this bait is the fact it has a single hook, rather than a bunch of smaller trebles. A solid hookset is more likely to hold them with a single hook to the top mouth, rather than a small treble in the lip. There are times when Mr. Peacock wants it quick with no erratic action, and there are times when they want it dancing back and forth. With the DOA, you can work your magic.

As mentioned above, this could be the year of record breaking catches. If we all do our part by throwing these South American jewels, and keep our fingers crossed that Jack stays back – our fishery will only get better in years to come.

By Keith Fine (aka Bluefishinny)
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 490 Deckhand
    jerk baits yozuri, x rap

also small jig heads with a feather trailer
  • Tuna_Slayer125Tuna_Slayer125 Posts: 63 Deckhand
    Soft plastic baits work well also. I usually use a Zoom 5 inch super fluke, any color has seemed to do well with the peacocks.
    1364926607_catching_bass_with_hand.gif?resize=270%2C150
    Good Luck out There!
  • JonathanT305JonathanT305 Posts: 164 Officer
    Soft plastic baits work well also. I usually use a Zoom 5 inch super fluke, any color has seemed to do well with the peacocks.
    You have luck with them on soft plastics? Everytime I use a fluke I get largemouths not peacocks...

I have had moderate success with topwater frogs too.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,385 AG
    Any noisy topwater in a fire tiger pattern will work.
    Poppers or for me a good prop bait. ....I had good luck with a Johnny rattler.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,478 Officer
    You have luck with them on soft plastics? Everytime I use a fluke I get largemouths not peacocks...

What he said..... Ive got a "few" on plastics.... Peacocks are NOT bass, and in my experiences, they often "swipe" at a bait several times before really devouring it.... With that said, I want a treble hook bait, and not a weedless bait... Just my .02. Its been a few years since I have targeted them... last time was 09... However, fished for them from 88 to 09.... All over Broward and Palm Beach... Most consistent producer was hard jerkbaits when fishing shalllow... If deeper, the Little George was the ticket before I discovered DOA Lil John (single hook, but exposed hook). I remember fishing out in Weston for them back before Yo Zuri's were even a thought lol! And back then we would get them on curly tail grubs - pink or chartr... Gotta dig up some pics of the Guido Hair and peacock pics!
  • SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain
    Bigger spinnerbaits. Not white, red/orange (sometimes referred to as "craw") patterns.

REVDWSP-CR-WGG-1.jpg
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    soft plastic fluke type lures are no good for peacock. they will work occasionally or if the fish is bedding. stick to hard and fast no larger than 3-4" although they will hit a 7-8" wooden chopper.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • JonathanT305JonathanT305 Posts: 164 Officer
    will hit a 7-8" wooden chopper.

This. This is probably the funnest way to catch a peacock. I'm pretty sure they use these in the Amazon too.

The peacocks you catch here probably won't be that big, but a suitable alternative would be something like an X-Rap Prop that's about 5 inches or so. The bigger ones will hit a 7-8" but if you're more focused on quantity suspending jerk baits are best. Look for colors like fire tiger, perch, or anything with lots of orange.

I have had moderate success with topwater frogs too.

The spots I usually fish at have a lot of thick weed, so I use the weedless baits to get into the spots without retrieving the bait having to clear my hook after each cast. I also like the action of a peacock that keeps swiping at the bait, to me it's pretty exciting!
    Good Luck out There!
    soft plastic fluke type lures are no good for peacock.
    Well, I think it is all depending on the situations you are dealing with and how many peacocks are in the exact location I have used the soft plastics very frequently and have had good luck with them. I think that they tend to go for the brighter colors more than darker colors, but then again it depends on the situations that you are in. Good Luck Out There- Tuna_Slayer125
    Good Luck out There!
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,217 Officer
    as an expert on catching peacock bass on both spin & fly, the best baits are rattle traps, countdowns, clousers, and chug bugs, poppers, if your fishing the up to 6ft depth.

deeper, you got to use live bait
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.