Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Birth of a Barbecue-Smoker

This is the second I have made, took about 25-30 hrs start to finish.
The first is just to big and will smoke 2 boar at a time.
So had to build smaller one for Ribs, chicken, Brisket etc..

Burning off the paint

Finish product inside sand blasted, seasoned, and exterior painted with heat paint.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Replies

• dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Looks great, you need longer tongs
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage USA, USA, USAPosts: 13,007 AG
    Very, very nice.
    What size tank did you start with? Where did you get your hinges and are the doors just rimmed with some band steel and welded into place after the doors are cut out?

Will the one temp gage be the only one or will you add one closer to the firebox also?
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    Found LP tank in friends yard 100 gallon I think.
    Ordered 48 inch stainless hinge 30 dollars and stainless grate around 80 dollars.
    Found trailer and axle scrap yard Free.
    I work at a Machine shop and have access to leftover material, Mig welder, Plasma cutter, Cnc mills etc.
    Made cut across where the hinge lay's, welded hinge in place, then plasma the rest of the door opening.
    Sheared 2 inch strips for to trim out door and rolled then to 2 ft dia and welded them on.
    Still need to buy temp gauge and affix it into the middle of door.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    Looks well done(no pun intended).

Where is the firebox?
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
    Really nice job.

One more question, second pic, right side bottom, cumbustion air inlet, ash pit or both?
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
    GA Fin wrote: »
    Looks well done(no pun intended).

Where is the firebox?

Right side is fire box, left is smoke box. Grill on right allows direct heat grilling for steaks and such.
    Really nice job.

One more question, second pic, right side bottom, cumbustion air inlet, ash pit or both?

Yes you are dead on.
    Makes cleaning ashes a breeze and also used as carburetor.
    My bigger Jurassic smoker has a separate firebox welded to exterior.
    Control flow from both ends.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    I will buy it from you.

How much?
    You've inspired me to get going on the tank I have, smaller still, a 100lb tank.
    How did it go welding the stainless hinge to the mild steel tank? No problems?
    I will be trying to find a mild steel hinge as I only have shielded welding available to me, those were my thoughts anyway.
    Everything was done with Mig welder so arc welder will work with stainless.
    Went with SS hinge because of the rust factor.
    Steel will work fine if its painted.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    wow man that thing is flawless.. you did a great job ..

its amazing how a couple little dampers can control the temp like that on a smoker ..
    There is more to it than the dampers, they are only part of the equation.
    The dampers will control alot, but you have to "know your fire".
    Ever see a Q guy walk over to the wood pile and pick up a couple of pieces then throw them aside and pick up a different piece and put it on the fire?

Kind of wood, how dense it is, moisture content, shape all play into how the fire works in the box. All must be considered.
    Then you make air adjustments.
    Shape of fire box and smoke box comes into play as well, see the baffel in the first pic between top of the fire box and smoke box? Probably one just like it or taller on the bottom too.

The main reason Weber grills are so good, yet look so basic is the shape and the air inlets and exaust adjustments that can be made, and all those are just working with briquettes, whole nother world when your working with wood.
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    Tight work. :beer
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,792 AG
    Good stuff. Im looking for one about that size, but not on wheels necessarily. Hard to find these days for some reaskn
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    You've inspired me to get going on the tank I have, smaller still, a 100lb tank.
    How did it go welding the stainless hinge to the mild steel tank? No problems?
    I will be trying to find a mild steel hinge as I only have shielded welding available to me, those were my thoughts anyway.

No problems welding S/S to mild steel, with S/S or mild steel filler.
    mig, tig, or stick welding.
    Did not know that, was under the impression that It had to be tig or mig with gas shield and stainless wire.

Thanks, good to know if I ever have to weld some stainless.
    I just have a cheap wire feed w/o gas.
    It does what I have needed so far.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    Did not know that, was under the impression that It had to be tig or mig with gas shield and stainless wire.

Thanks, good to know if I ever have to weld some stainless.
    I just have a cheap wire feed w/o gas.
    It does what I have needed so far.

The only down fall welding SS with mild steel is your weld will rust.
    unless you get into critical stress points.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    like you know...
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 551 Officer
    great work. I had a 250 gallon tank ready to start and it got stolen 3 weeks ago.