pros and cons of the ping pong ball scuppers?

cookin outcookin out Posts: 237 Deckhand
My boat is 6 years old and has the rubber flap scuppers....there are also one way valves in the middle of the drain hoses going to the transom...I still get tons of water in the back of my boat when a heavy load is in the back of the boat.....
I was reading in boat us magazine that the ball scuppers work pretty well.....any input? thanks.

Replies

• Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    I use them, have for many years, work better if they are constantly underwater, just above the water line they little a little water in, but not much.
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    If you already have a check valve and are still getting water, then all the ball scuppers are is an additional check valve.
    The only way to be dry is to actually plug the hole. A plumber supply store will have pvc/rubber expansion plugs. Similar to the old boat drain plugs but made of plastic, so no corrosion. if used in the cockpit, you can easily remove them as needed.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • cookin outcookin out Posts: 237 Deckhand
    Catmandew wrote: »
    If you already have a check valve and are still getting water, then all the ball scuppers are is an additional check valve.
    The only way to be dry is to actually plug the hole. A plumber supply store will have pvc/rubber expansion plugs. Similar to the old boat drain plugs but made of plastic, so no corrosion. if used in the cockpit, you can easily remove them as needed.
    CMD

CMD, I have actually done this already but would rather not have to bother with them. And for some reason or another they do not work perfectly either.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    I run two boats that have them and are in the water all the time. On the Cat they are under water a lot and clogged with algae and barnacles And stop working till I pull the boat and clean them out. On the mono hull they are out of the water more often than not and will take much longer to clog and then have to be disassembled and cleaned. If you trailer they should be fine.
    larrywitt