Tampa Bay Red

RawDawsRawDaws Posts: 74 Deckhand
Seems like the redfish are everywhere right now. Seen lots of fish pushing the 40" mark with ease, and the biggest school of reds I've seen in St. Pete. Caught my biggest red last weekend at around 35" and it was tagged too.

On saturday we took the yaks out to try to find them again. Never found the big schools, but we got in an area that had some singles and a few pairs sitting down on the bottom. I'm still trying to figure how to fly fish from a yak. Hard to spot the fish, put paddle down, pick up rod and make sure line is cleared, and then make a good cast before drifting out of range or spooking the fish. Finally I decided to put the paddle down and let the wind slowly move me across the flat. I got a good shot at a solid top of the slot red and he followed for a few feet before spooking. A few minutes later I drifted into perfect position with a solid red laying on the bottom facing away about 15 feet from my kayak. Threw a good cast and let it slowly get to his level. One twitch and he was interested, second twitch and he turned to follow, third twitch and he rushed and slurped the fly down. Stuck it hard and got a few pics after a solid fight. 25" fish releases to eat some more bugs.
Fishing in the RAW

-Brian

Replies

• evergladeskid243evergladeskid243 Posts: 269 Deckhand
    sweet fish good post
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Well done & thanks for sharing.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    Nice job! I got a 31" tagged red a couple years ago around Palma Sola. I thought mine was big but yours is a stud!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • RawDawsRawDaws Posts: 74 Deckhand
    Thanks guys. I wish I would have got that big boy on fly. The school was moving so fast it was hard to catch up and present a fly to them. Ended up throwing a 1/16 o lil john, and the second I hooked up the whole school turned and came right toward me. There were a handful of fish that were significantly bigger than the one I landed. Hoping to hear back about the tag in the next few days.
    Fishing in the RAW

-Brian
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    Let me know if it's tag number MS36380.....that's the one I caught.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Nice fish, great photos!
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 658 Officer
    Great looking fish, is that a Toad fly in the fishes mouth?

:thumbsup
  • RawDawsRawDaws Posts: 74 Deckhand
    White finn racoon tail and white/red spun deer hair for the head. Mono eyes. Buddy tied it and I like how it sinks verrrrry slowly. Similar sink rate to a toad, I just didn't have any smaller toads with me.
    Fishing in the RAW

-Brian
  • Mike HodgeMike Hodge Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Fly fishing/sight fishing out of a yak is tough. I mainly use the yak as transportation, then get out and wade. It's tough to be able to spot the fish, stop the yak and then cast while maintaining timing.