Home General Paddle Craft

Crates......do you?

Just wondering if many folks are using crates on their SOT, hybrides & SUP's.

DIY solutions or store bought set-ups. Freshwater, inshore or offshore.
If you do, post up a quick shot or two or five of your "solution" that sits in the tankwell. Tell us why you went the way that you did and how well it works for you.

I'll start out with the first crate I made up many moons ago. I used a milk crate that was "borrowed" for a project during the winter of 1982 while pledging at FSU (Ferris State University, Mich).

Hopefully the statute of limitations has since run out.....:nono

Basic, but filled a need at the time....
P7160080.jpg

HPIM0963.jpg

Replies

• jivariejivarie Posts: 127 Officer
    Stopped using crates when I got the Jackson Cuda 14. Everything stows under the seat now.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/kayakfishing - Help the kayakfishing community grow!
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    No crate for me either!
    I take the simple approach on my Cuda 12.........2 3600 series plano boxes under my seat, extra rod in the ram tube behind me and leaders in my pocket....thats it
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    jivarie wrote: »
    Stopped using crates when I got the Jackson Cuda 14. Everything stows under the seat now.
    Do you have pics from before getting the Jackson?

I really didn't use a crate but on the Perception Caster, as I was also paddling a Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 at the time and the ability to have a Plano 1612 waterproof box for tackle storage and later with the Ultra 4.7 and then the Trident 13, that had the rodpod for additional space.
    Then as I found the need more for a platform to mount accessories (video camera, VISIPole light/flag & additional rod holders) then storage, the need for a crate resurfaced.

Next crate-
    gave me the ability to lay the rods down, which is a benefit when dealing with docks and mangroves.

IMG_20121204_102520.jpg?t=1354891471

IMG_20121208_221600.jpg?t=1355025222

IMG_20121208_221242.jpg?t=1355025314
  • Ericjames22Ericjames22 Posts: 377 Officer
    Double crate on hobie outback also have rod holders all around it now
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    @ firedog I have your "old" set up, judging how I bought it all from you :wink

Scotty gimbal mounts + extenders + powerlocks. I LOVE the ability to just turn around and grab my rod while trolling offshore AND the fact that I can lay the rods parallel to the yak to go under bridges, trees, docks etc while inshore. I REALLY need to get a set of slip disks for them, since you're team RAM now do you have any laying around? :grin

Inside the crate, I have 2 sections of sch 40 PVC cut to the exact height of the crate and are ziptied and hose clamped into the corners. One side, is my flag pole (which is now on the bottom of the sea) and light, the other PVC tube holds my mini gaff and fish grippers. I keep a 5 gallon bucket in the crate with aerator + lid. This acts as a live well 90% of the time and dry storage whenever I'm not using live bait.

I bungee the grate VERY tightly to my yak using SS pad eyes that I placed and drilled into the yak using SS hardware. I have all of my rod leashes attached to the crate for this reason. Where the handles of the crate are, I have ziptied two small sections of pool noodle, these hold various things including random hooks/lures/jigs while rigging.

I finally flipped this past weekend offshore in 250' and all of my preparation paid off. My practice rescue flips in my parents pool, my testing of rod leashes, rod holders etc in the pool....it all paid off. I can't tell you all how important it is to test this ESP your crate setup! Total loss? 3 live goggle eyes, one pair of titanium pliers (my fault, they were in my lap not secured as I was rigging at the time) and 3 vertical jigs (hanging from my scotty triple rod holder bar)
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    ......I finally flipped this past weekend offshore in 250' and all of my preparation paid off. My practice rescue flips in my parents pool, my testing of rod leashes, rod holders etc in the pool....it all paid off. I can't tell you all how important it is to test this ESP your crate setup! Total loss? 3 live goggle eyes, one pair of titanium pliers (my fault, they were in my lap not secured as I was rigging at the time) and 3 vertical jigs (hanging from my scotty triple rod holder bar)
    Congrats Kevin! thumbs_up_smiley.gif

........on being prepared for the dunking that's awaiting all of us eventually, and at the small amount of "stuff" lost.
    Always better to be proactive as opposed to reactive. :willynilly
    Lt.FireDog wrote: »
    Congrats Kevin! thumbs_up_smiley.gif

........on being prepared for the dunking that's awaiting all of us eventually, and at the small amount of "stuff" lost.
    Always better to be proactive as opposed to reactive. :willynilly

As my grandfather always said:

"Preparation is the enemy of anxiety" -Norman Zimmerman, Scout Master
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
    Nobody else uses or has used a crate on their kayak?? :huh
  • Brandon561Brandon561 Posts: 233 Deckhand
    I love my milk crate on my kayak. Allows me to keep a lot of my stuff easily accessible on my Tarpon 120. This is a pic of my old milk crate i actually changed it up a lil last week.
    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 A.K.A Reel Nauti
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    No crate on my PA14. I like to use the storage provided. I did however, mount two rod holders and my flag to my bait bucket. If interested, I can post a picture.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I never had a crate.
  • krashkrash Posts: 686 Officer
    my crate is on its 3rd paddle-craft, transportable, 2 kayaks and 1 canoe same crate simple and easy to load and or clean and restock in my garage b4/after trips
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    I still use mine with the triple rod holder I attached to it. really came in handy now. the new ride 115 I got does not have rod holders. no big deal. don't need them at all. I keep my soft cooler in the front hatch. if I go out looking for fish to fry, I'll just keep the tackle in the front, and put a larger cooler in the back.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • bnzbnz Posts: 183 Deckhand
    My crates have all ended up being custom made by me, either with pvc or fiberglass.

Here are the pvc ones I made for my old tarpon 160i and pheonix 160:

IMGP1215.jpg

And the fiberglass drop-in crate for my kaskazi marlin:

IMGP1925.jpg
    IMGP1922.jpg

I really like the drop-in crate for going offshore. Even if I flip my gear in it stays dry.
    I've got a crate on the Outback now too. Triple rod holder attached to the crate (zip ties and hose clamps) which holds my Yak attack VISI Carbon Pro my mini gaff and will serve as another vantage point for my new Panfish portrait camera pole. I pre-drilled holes in various places as well to hang jigs/lures from after they've been in the salt. That way I can hose them down with the rest of the gear. Nothing tackle faster than putting a salty lure/hook/swivel in a plano box and forgetting about it...

The crate also holds my bait bucket + aerator, "maybe" one day in the future I'll get away from the crate mentality, but it holds a 5 gallon bucket so well! The crate has always just kind of been there, a fishing kayak without it looks naked IMO.
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • DRIFTER_016DRIFTER_016 Posts: 144 Officer
    The crate has always just kind of been there, a fishing kayak without it looks naked IMO.

The same can be said for us Northern guys and our ice fishing rigs. :wink
    Don't know how I would carry my gear in my sled without my crates. :shrug
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 722 Officer
    I don't have any pics but I originally started out renting yaks and just brought my own crate. I used to have 6 PVC pipes cut and velcrod to it. Quickly realized that having that many rods out only led to mass confusion when fight two fish and a sabiki rig out. Have since simplified and use two PVC pipes cut about 2-2 1/2 feet placed into a 90 degree elbow joint and then zip tied to the crate. This allows for a better trolling position and keeps the reels higher off the water so they are not getting splashed as much while paddling. Also being tall it's easier to turn and get them out of the rod holder. I have also decreases the amount of stuff I bring with me, bait bucket, push pole if on the flats, cooler that fits inside said crate and one Plano tray with extra hooks and leader material. All bunged to the yak thru the handles in the crate. I have a Ride 135, so if I use my wheels, they break down and fit in the front hatch.
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 858 Officer
    As my grandfather always said:

"Preparation is the enemy of anxiety" -Norman Zimmerman, Scout Master

My grandfather;" Failing to prepare is preparing to fail".

They were wise.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
    My grandfather;" Failing to prepare is preparing to fail".

They were wise.

Yessir. I can only hope to impart that kind of wisdom and knowledge upon my grandkids to the point where they not only remember it, but hear me saying it in their heads when something goes awry.
    Have since simplified and use two PVC pipes cut about 2-2 1/2 feet placed into a 90 degree elbow joint and then zip tied to the crate. This allows for a better trolling position and keeps the reels higher off the water so they are not getting splashed as much while paddling. Also being tall it's easier to turn and get them out of the rod holder.

This was the same set-up I had until I bought a great trolling set-up from our very own Lt. Firedog. The main reason why I wanted to explore other options? When a 36" king ripped the PVC nearly right out of the crate, granted my drag should have been set a bit loser but alas, the dang fish nearly made off with a $250 combo! If you're going to troll using PVC and zipties, fish LOOSE drags! :wink
    Heroes On the Water

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

>

2013 Hobie Outback
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 722 Officer
    Yeah, learned that from a 100+ tarpon that hit a live pinfish. My only saving grace was that the rod was in the right side holder, but the line was under the yak and he jumped about 15 feet to my left. So all the pressure from the initial hit was pulling on the strongest points of the PVC set up....an hour and 45 min later and a mile and a half had him yak side!
  • Brandon561Brandon561 Posts: 233 Deckhand
    This is the new crate that i made. Its not the only way to do it, but it definitely works for me.
    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 A.K.A Reel Nauti