Suffix Braid Guy for a long time - quick feedback please on Power Pro

2»

Replies

• superdupersuperduper Captain Posts: 1,927 Captain
    never tried it, but i heard the seaguar smackdown braid is supposed to be their 8 strand, round, smooth braid. i heard its really nice. id like to try it.
  • ericfericf Deckhand Posts: 462 Deckhand
    I've been using the Berkeley fire line tracer braid in 15# for all my inshore combos for a couple years now, have been pretty pleased. Seems to resist wind knots pretty well and when it gets them they are pretty easy to pull out.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • If1shalldayIf1shallday Officer Posts: 464 Officer
    NSByak wrote: »
    Love the PP slick 8

Also heard it works better with how the Shimano reels lay it down vs. Penn. Not sure if there is truth to that or not, I'm a Shimano guy
    I am too always will be
  • If1shalldayIf1shallday Officer Posts: 464 Officer
    Baja280 wrote: »
    I have used power pro slick for a couple years now and never had any issues, but I was thinking of trying the new Seaguar Kanzen braid. supposedly it has and even smaller diameter and higher strength, has anyone tried it? if so what do you think

PPSS 8 hasent even been out for a couple of years...
  • esteroestero Captain Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Baja280 wrote: »
    I have used power pro slick for a couple years now and never had any issues, but I was thinking of trying the new Seaguar Kanzen braid. supposedly it has and even smaller diameter and higher strength, has anyone tried it? if so what do you think

I tried some of the Kanzen and it is super thin. Being thin is not always good. It broke at less than what it was rated at. It snapped very easily when given a sharp jerk. It was also poor on abrasion resistance. I would loved it if that line performed better but there is no way I would use it even if you gave it to me.
    (My own opinion)

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

PPSS 8 hasent even been out for a couple of years...

It was introduced at the ICAST 2011 show.

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Captain Posts: 2,333 Captain
    The only braid I've ever had problems with was the old school power pro. The majority of the issues I hear people complain about can be attributed to old mangled guides, not manually closing your bail, or having a reel with a sloppy oscillation pattern. I use suffix, I use spiderwire ultracast & flourobraid, I use super 8 slick, and hollow ace, I couldn't pick a fav.
  • permit_mepermit_me Officer Posts: 1,031 Officer
    Suffix and Fins have held up best for me. I have really liked using the fins the past couple years. PPSS8 does fray way too easy whether from a hook your dry fingers or whatever, but does cast very well, until the line twist begins (another problem i have with PPSS8)...I have lost too many fish with the super slick and have used 10, 15, 20 and 40 lb.
    Power Pro, or power knots as we used to call it seems to be the industry standard. But holds up well.
    After a fishing all Spring, Summer and fall on one rod I left some 50# Fins windtamer on overwinter and continued to use it through this year. After catching tarpon, cobia, tripletail and grouper it still was able to hold up to a huge 160lb tarpon in late Sept. I have changed line since then.
    Fins is my new line of choice (this year anyway)
    The FINS Windtammer is a good line and so is the Sufix 832. I have not had any problems using the Power Pro Super Slick. FINS XS is not very good for my type of fishing because of being easily frayed.