Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

New reason that deer should fear me

bohunter0328bohunter0328 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
After all these years of using my muzzleloader on certain management areas during gun season because centerfire rifles aren't allowed, I finally upgraded my firepower. Savage 220, left handed, bolt action, 20 ga. slug gun with an old Leupold Vari X 3 3.5-10x50 heavy duplex scope sitting in a DNZ Game Reaper one piece mount. It's supposed to be capable of 3" groups at 200 yds. I will find out Thursday.:machinegun

Replies

• pbsnookerpbsnooker Posts: 882 Officer
    Nice shooter, a buddy has one. It took him a long time and a bunch of different brands of slugs. The best he can get is 3" groups at 100yds, 5 inch at 150, 150s as far as hes shot it.
  • StillbrokeStillbroke Posts: 226 Officer
    I've heard good things about light field slugs. Maybe they can tighten up you groups if the average store bought shells don't do it for ya. I gotta tell you, my 870 supermag smooth bore with a cheap b-square mount and 4x scope will shoot 3" groups at 100 with rifled Remington slugs. You gotta be able to get great groups with a gun made for it. Keep this thread alive Ide like to see how it shoots.
  • tarpontamer2007tarpontamer2007 Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Try the remington accutips. I hunt the same wma im pretty sure and bought a H&R slug gun just for this.
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,647 Captain
    Warning dont compromise penetration and killing abilty to acquire long range accuracy.

I hope it works out for you. But it is hard to beat a modern ML with a quality Sabot for long range shooting and killing ability.

Make sure you are very comfortable making the long shot before you try. Good luck to you I love your confidence any good shooting instructor will tell you that confidence is the first ingredient to successful shooting.

Keep this in mind while you are pulling the trigger: "aim small miss small" pick a spot bout the sixe of a fly on the deers vital. Concentrate on that spot dont think about anything else but placing that shot on the spot. Let the shot surprise you and follow through keep the scope on the target watch him go down. NO FLINCHING nothing but the Fly. Do this from now on and you will never miss again.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • JRussellJRussell Posts: 1,411 Officer
    I got an H&R slug gun for the same reason. If all goes as planned today I'll be breaking it out this weekend!

That Savage should shoot really well. I've been a big fan of the DNZ one piece mounts since I put one on my 110 with a new scope and it was within 3" @ 100yds without any adjustments.
    The Florida Hunters Network Facebook page
  • spfldbowhunterspfldbowhunter Posts: 936 Officer
    That's a pretty slick rig, you'll break the ice with it in no time
    Eph. 3:20
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,492 Captain
    WINCHESTER 3 INCH COPPER
    living life as i like
  • ROGERSANCHEZROGERSANCHEZ Posts: 312 Deckhand
    I have the same exact shotgun with the DNZ mount, but a Burris scope. I shoot the Remington premier Accu tips. How did yours shoot at the range?
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Sweet looking rig! Love me some dead nutz mounts as well.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • bohunter0328bohunter0328 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Going to the range Thursday. I'll let yall know how I do.
  • PalmettoKidPalmettoKid Posts: 847 Officer
    Please do, I wanted one of these but I went with the rifled barrel for 870 12 ga. Shot 3" group at 100 yards, good enough for me for now.

Still want one of those savages through.
    No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
    Bobjr86 wrote: »
    Ok so i hunted florida for my first time yesterday and have to say i was really disappointed.
    Well, after completely abusing my shoulder, I found a load that shot pretty decent out of this thing. I shot Federal Trophy Copper in 3" and 2 3/4", Hornady SST 2 3/4", Remington Accutip 2 3/4", and Remington Corelok Ultra 2 3/4". All were 3 shot groups at 100 yds. Federal 3" grouped right at 2 1/4", Federal 2 3/4" grouped at 1 3/4", Hornady was 3", Remington Accutips were 2 1/4", and Remington Coreloks were all over the place (about 6"). I'll be hunting with the Accutips only because I have a full box of them and only 2 rounds of each of the Federals. Next trip to the range I will borrow a Lead Sled and see if the groups tighten up a little ( that gun beat the crap out of me!) I will also try a few new loads. I was really expecting a little better groups from this gun. I sighted it in 1" high at 100yds. so I should be good to 125- 130. Hopefully I can report on how well it will knock down a deer/hog.
  • JRussellJRussell Posts: 1,411 Officer
    Sounds pretty good and about on par with the other reviews I've read. Did you take a shot at 50yds? I'm just curious how much it drops from 50-100.
    The Florida Hunters Network Facebook page
    I zeroed at 50 and was about 6" low at 100.
  • Capital PunishmentCapital Punishment Posts: 91 Deckhand
    I'm with Gator on this one....not sure what kind of Muzzleloader you were using but if I went from my muzzleloader to a 20ga shotgun it would NOT be considered upgrading the firepower.
    Got something to throw away???
    > call Bragg's Roll-Off Dumpsters, Inc. (321) 403-3022
  • PalmettoKidPalmettoKid Posts: 847 Officer
    Well, after completely abusing my shoulder, that gun beat the crap out of me!

Yea, I sighted in my 870 slug barrel same day I sighted in my ML and my 30-0-6. Had a nice bruise that week.
    No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
    Bobjr86 wrote: »
    Ok so i hunted florida for my first time yesterday and have to say i was really disappointed.
  • StillbrokeStillbroke Posts: 226 Officer
    Well, after completely abusing my shoulder, I found a load that shot pretty decent out of this thing. I shot Federal Trophy Copper in 3" and 2 3/4", Hornady SST 2 3/4", Remington Accutip 2 3/4", and Remington Corelok Ultra 2 3/4". All were 3 shot groups at 100 yds. Federal 3" grouped right at 2 1/4", Federal 2 3/4" grouped at 1 3/4", Hornady was 3", Remington Accutips were 2 1/4", and Remington Coreloks were all over the place (about 6"). I'll be hunting with the Accutips only because I have a full box of them and only 2 rounds of each of the Federals. Next trip to the range I will borrow a Lead Sled and see if the groups tighten up a little ( that gun beat the crap out of me!) I will also try a few new loads. I was really expecting a little better groups from this gun. I sighted it in 1" high at 100yds. so I should be good to 125- 130. Hopefully I can report on how well it will knock down a deer/hog.

I don't know bout you but 1 3/4" groups sound pretty good to me. If your measuring from the center of the first shot there would barley be enough room to fit a round in between the two points of impact. I would be happy with that.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the grouping, just curious as to weather I can get the 3/4" - 1" of heard others were getting.