Home Egret Boats

baitwell over flowing

bradenredbradenred Posts: 32 Deckhand
Is anyone having problems with the stern live baitwell on 20-11" overflowing especially with small baits sticking on bottom outlet?

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    The bottom drain must stay clear or it will fill to the top and not drain fast enough. The bottom drain does draw allot of water out. This is the design as intended to remove any contamination of the water made from the bait fish so you have a constant flow of fresh water throughout the entire well without any dead zones.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I had my 189 built with the same livewell system as the 20'11"s. I have had the exact same issues when I black the well out with small pilchards. I just got back form a glades trip and we were blacking the well out to where you could walk on the baits. Naturally you lose quite a few through the day. As they die they get in the bottom gap that Flats Boy describes and they also get pulled flat against all the other drain holes as well. When we would open the well a massive amount of water would flood out the gutters into the splash well along with 10 or 15 live baits each time. Then the splash well drains would plug with dead baits, so we had standing water with baits swimming in it in the splash well. We were doing half our live chumming right out of the splash well. If you don't want to lose baits when you open the lid you have to turn off the pump until water quits running out the back then open the well before you turn the pump back on. Turning off the pump seems to change the pressure on the drain holes and quite a few of the baits clogging the drains will float away temporarily reliving the problem. You can skim off a good number of any floating dead ones at this point. Every so often I will reach into the well and pull out as many dead baits form the bottom drain as I can.

I did find that moving the strainer for the two drain holes to the bottom position helped the well to drain a little better for some reason, I previously had it in the top hole and had the bottom hole plugged. I may call Frank and get him to send me a strainer for both holes rather than plugging one of them, I think this would help a lot.
    Overall though I have been blown away with how well this livewell keeps baits. One day on the last trip we easily had 800 baits in one throw of the net and they were all on the small side. We live chummed at every spot I know from the Shark River all the way back to Islamorada and were catching tarpon in Calossa Cove’s basin off all the livies we had left and were throwing out.
  • bradenredbradenred Posts: 32 Deckhand
    THANKS FOR THE INFO. HOW ABOUT BLOCKING JUST HALF OF THE BOTTOM DRAIN , THAT WAY THE SMALL BAIT CAN'T GO THRU AND BLOCK THE OTHER DRAINS AND STILL HAVE SOME CIRCULATION
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I wish there was a way to put a screen across that small gap at the bottom of the plate. It could probably be done with some plastic screening that wouldn't corrode.