Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mosquito Lagoon restoration

Are there any volunteer type organizations around that are involved with seagrass restoration and/or cleanup of the lagoon systems around here? I know the OKFC has several cleanups each year, but i think they are only involved with certain parts of the lagoon. I would like to get more involved in this aspect because I hate seeing the current condition of this great fishery.

Replies

• SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    OKFC has adopted i think the northeastern shoreline of haulover.. not sure.. its good though because haulover is the most trashed area out there by far.. as far as seagrass restoration.. i hope nobody starts messin with ML's grass tryin to fix it.. man has done enough damage..
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    UW-F does the clean up of Peacocks pocket .... We'll be there the 9th doing the clean up along with a booth with childrens activities and waterfowling info in conjunction with the Refuges big festival.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Capt. Tyler VollmerCapt. Tyler Vollmer Posts: 414 Officer
    I often go alone or bring a friend along and just walk the heavy used shorelines to pickup trash. Also, contact Capt. Doug Blanton as he likes to do mangrove plantings along shorelines. Thanks for caring!
  • JustfishJustfish Posts: 15 Deckhand
    You can contact Greg Harrison at CCA. [email protected] Apparently he has a broadcast email list and anytime something like that goes off he emails the list. Last one was 9/28.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    its amazing to see how fast an area gets re-trashed after you clean it up ..
  • REEL NATIVEREEL NATIVE Posts: 149 Deckhand
    I usually fish up in the Oakhill area. Everytime I take my daughters with me, I give them $10 for each bag they fill up.
  • captryan5878captryan5878 Posts: 204 Deckhand
    About a week ago the commissioners had a meeting in which they discussed their plans to clean up the lagoon. Government funds will be requested. This will be a huge clean up. However, the clean up is just the 1st step. It must be maintained afterwards. The key is the oyster and clam beds. They are the liver and kidneys of the lagoon and unfurtunatly they are scarce. The scientists proposed some plans for oyster and clam renewal projects. http://brevardcountyfl.iqm2.com/Citizens/SplitView.aspx?Mode=Video&MeetingID=1210&AgendaID=1157&FileFormat=pdf&Format=Agenda&MediaFileFormat=wmv
    I was at that meeting....they will revisit the fertilizer ordinance.

As far as getting gov't money...good luck...

the south Florida people were (WAY) louder and committed than we were and they are dumping the available Fed money to keep the Lake O water from going into the St Lucie and Caloosahatchee rivers...

There needs to be extensive demucking along with pinpointing "point source" pollution and shutting that down.... add in sewer for all east of the sand ridge and on the barrier Islands.... and an ordinance stopping all fertilizer use from May till October....

Then.... Clam reseeding and Oyster reefs....It is important not to put the OX before the cart.....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,032 Officer
    My 15-year old son organized 3 oyster mat building events in Vero...had a great turnout of kids and adults. His efforts resulted in a new half acre+ oyster reef in the Lagoon. Brevard County Zoo now sponsors the events and CCA is beginning to get involved. When you consider each new oyster filters up to 50 gallons of water A DAY, the effort is worth it!
    Net 30 wrote: »
    My 15-year old son organized 3 oyster mat building events in Vero...had a great turnout of kids and adults. His efforts resulted in a new half acre+ oyster reef in the Lagoon. Brevard County Zoo now sponsors the events and CCA is beginning to get involved. When you consider each new oyster filters up to 50 gallons of water A DAY, the effort is worth it!

Your sons efforts are to be applauded!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled