Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Playa Linda 10/27

Not much to report, unfortunately. Starting walking south from lot 10 as soon as it was light enough to see. Walked maybe three miles or so round trip, but didn't see much happening.

Threw a larger Krocodile spoon and a big white bucktail and got plenty of bluefish on both, plus a few ladyfish that shook off. Bait guys were getting plenty of pompano, but that looked like about it, besides the blues.

Thought about keeping a couple blues to try eating but didn't. What's the prevailing opinion on that--are they okay, or only good for smoking?

Back home and starting on the honey-dos by 10:30.

Replies

• SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    thats all we got yesterday .. a blue or a mack on every cast just about.. the surf was pounding and the waves really close together so seeing bait was almost impossible... there were however tons of sharks around.. some finning out in about knee deep surf.. i was hoping to run across those shallow poons we found last time but no luck ..
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,926 AG
    Blues are fine *IF*... unlike many people....You TREAT THEM LIKE FOOD FISH

A bucket of ice... add water with a handful of kosher salt will flash freeze them....

Keep what you can eat in one meal...they do not store well.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Yes on blue fish. I would add--under 4lbs & bleed before icing.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • No_Cool_NameNo_Cool_Name Posts: 60 Deckhand
    I have fished for them up in the Chesapeake Bay many times back in the day. We used to have fish fries with them fresh. We never froze them just straight from hook to ice. Filet and cut out the blood line into the batter and fried. I liked them pretty fair. Most of the ones we caught were around 4 to 6 pounds.
    Good things come to those who get off their lazy butt and work for it.
  • NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    Good for smoked fish dip! Bleed and cut the blood lines out, smoke 'em up
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    thats all we got yesterday .. a blue or a mack on every cast just about.. the surf was pounding and the waves really close together so seeing bait was almost impossible... there were however tons of sharks around.. some finning out in about knee deep surf.. i was hoping to run across those shallow poons we found last time but no luck ..

How big were the sharks, and what time of day, and why is there never fish on that beach when I'm there?
  • BeeknBeekn Posts: 136 Deckhand
    I was at lot 5 on saturday afternoon and the macks were everywhere smacking glass minnows.
    How big were the sharks, and what time of day, and why is there never fish on that beach when I'm there?

we started fishin around 8 and left at noon.. saw several sharks throughout the day.. the ones running shallow were blacktips, 4-5 feet long.. had one out farther chasing down my plug with its mouth wide open like a redfish tryin to inhale a topwater but he never got it .. also saw several free jumping... all well within casting distance..

the fish are there.. if you dont see bait do some blind casting while walking.. youll tap into some fish somewhere..
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer

Haha! Same with me. Maybe we are cursed?
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,668 Captain
    I fished lot 12 on Sat and Sunday. 7 blues,9 whiting and 3 spanish on Saturday. Sunday 12 blues,3 spanish( biggest 23 1/2") and 2 pompano. Caught 6 more pomps but too small. On Sunday the sharks were close to the beach. Saw several surfing through the 1 waves.
    i got out there yesterday.. not much goin on.. it was the bluefish show for 5 straight hours..