WANTED: Moose Gun!

2»

Replies

• Mr-OrenoMr-Oreno Posts: 191 Deckhand
    I've never had it but everyone says it is outstanding.
    WANTED: OLD FISHING LURES
  • tarawatarawa Posts: 152 Deckhand
    I have a Winchester Model 70 African in .375 H&H. Brand new.
    Life Is For Service
  • turftechturftech Posts: 312 Deckhand
    I have a Ruger M77 in 458 Win Mag. No need to shoot it - the moose sees it, faints, you can rush in pop him with a 22.

It's ideal for shutting off annoying car alarms at 3AM.

Love it! :funnypost
    2200v pathfinder and various rods and reels, ford f150 and various rifles, shotguns, and handguns.
    Ready to fish, Ready to hunt...
  • totalinertiatotalinertia Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    tarawa

is your Winchester mdl 70 .375 African one of the pre '64 designed anniversary models that Cabelas was marketing ? Just curious.
    tarawa wrote: »
    I have a Winchester Model 70 African in .375 H&H. Brand new.

Thank you but I couldn't handle it without a muzzle brake. I shot a .300 when I was a kid and it really freaked me out so I tend to flinch when shooting. If I was to get a 30/06, I was considering getting the brake on that as well just because... :machinegun
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,134 Officer
    4 pages !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:spin

Buy a gun already :grin
  • Gills.Gone.WildGills.Gone.Wild Posts: 142 Deckhand
    Mr-Oreno wrote: »
    Thank you but I couldn't handle it without a muzzle brake. I shot a .300 when I was a kid and it really freaked me out so I tend to flinch when shooting. If I was to get a 30/06, I was considering getting the brake on that as well just because... :machinegun

The .375 H&H is my favorite caliber. It really is a smooth-recoiling caliber, don't let the size mislead you. I am a former .300 Win Mag owner, and I would sooner fire 20 rounds off a bench with my .375 than to shoot a 3-shot group with a .300 Win. That's with just a solid rubber butt pad on the big gun. And don't even try to hand me a .338! My shoulder don't do that caliber at all any more. I've often described the recoil of the .375 as a big shove, and the recoil of the .300 is a quick hard punch.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,281 Officer
    Get the 30-06, find some good 180-200 grain cartridges/bullets and don't look back. In Alaska many are killed by women/youth hunters with 243s and 270s. Most of the Native Alaskan hunters own only an AR-15 in 223 and it seems to work just fine on moose and caribou. The 30-06 is likely still the preferred caliber in Alaska, even by some brown bear hunters.
    fish_stix wrote: »
    Get the 30-06, find some good 180-200 grain cartridges/bullets and don't look back. In Alaska many are killed by women/youth hunters with 243s and 270s. Most of the Native Alaskan hunters own only an AR-15 in 223 and it seems to work just fine on moose and caribou. The 30-06 is likely still the preferred caliber in Alaska, even by some brown bear hunters.

I've been looking but want that"special" gun. I'm looking for something looks as good as it shoots. Just something different than what everyone else has. I would love to find one with a muzzle brake on it. They are out there but nothing in Florida that I found yet.
  • Gills.Gone.WildGills.Gone.Wild Posts: 142 Deckhand
    I've been looking but want that"special" gun. I'm looking for something looks as good as it shoots. Just something different than what everyone else has. I would love to find one with a muzzle brake on it. They are out there but nothing in Florida that I found yet.
    I can appreciate wanting something unique (says the guy that hunts whitetails with a Cape buffalo rifle). Find the 30-06 that you like and have a brake installed. Considering there are many different brakes out there, this will give you the ability to make it the rifle YOU want.
  • GunsablazinGunsablazin Posts: 47 Deckhand
    I have an Indian friend that harvests a moose every year and uses a .270 or a 7mm mag. Waits for it to quarter away and for a heart/lung shot through the shoulder to drop it in its tracks.
    Like these!!
    Well, I got my MOOSE!
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 474 Deckhand
    Picture please
    I get getting the UPLOAD FAILED? It wont let me load the pictures? Been trying for 3 days now.
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,198 Captain
    Maybe, try to resize your pictures smaller.
  • MosesMoses Posts: 1,203 Officer
    I get getting the UPLOAD FAILED? It wont let me load the pictures? Been trying for 3 days now.

So what did you take it with?
    The peanuts and beer took its toll. I had to fart really bad. I would normally ease away and let it out. I thought it was time for her to grow up.
    It was a varoooom! It shook the pine needles off the trees. She broke and ran.
    "Daddy, you stink!"
    She's my best buddy to this day! You never know how these things will work out!
    Sayin... Reck

1387463400_20_1_USD_5_default.png
    Joey Buttons - FRIEND FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • red owlred owl Posts: 639 Officer
    Tell...where did you hunt, what rifle did you use, what caliber, how far did moose go.
2»