17 Pound Mono Test Line ?

BaitmanBaitman Posts: 47 Greenhorn
I enjoy lightweight tackle saltwater fishing. I'm considering the purchase of a Daiwa BG-20 reel. Would 17 lb mono line be ok to fish from a pier or the beach? I could also use 20 lb braid. I'm not looking to catch very large fish but one never knows what will take the bait.

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,590 Moderator
    That reel is supposed to hold 150 yards of 17# mono, but I've never seen 17. Most of what you will find is 15 or 20. 20 is too heavy the reel, and go with the 15 which will give you about 200 yards. If you "dont know what is going to pick up the bait", the most important thing to have is line capacity. If you "enjoy light tackle fishing, drop down to a BG 15 and load it with 10#. The weight difference makes it much more castable.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,361 Captain
    I have two rods with BG20 reels on my skiff as medium weight utility rods (for everything... but a bit heavy for lures). One is loaded with 12lb mono - the other with 20lb braid (only 300 feet on top of a 12lb mono base...). They've worked well for everything up to tarpon in the 80lb size range.

Jack, the only 17lb mono I've ever seen was by Stren - and you used to see a lot of it years and years ago (I must be getting old....).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • TroutSupportTroutSupport Posts: 132 Officer
    you could go with 15 mono with a 20 mono leader. Or you could go with 30lb braid which is 8lb diameter. The only time I use 20lb braid is when i'm fishing deep open water with nothing to rub the braid. From the bank there's just to much to rub it and 20 doesn't hold up. either way use a leader... I prefer Flourocarbon leader material...but 20lb mono is good as well.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,403 Admiral
    You can still pick up Trilene XL and Trilene XT in 17 lb... But, it's been years since I have seen a tackle shop carry those in bulk.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    we have a bulk spool of 17 trilene, bring 'er over and ill spool it up for ya.

or ill just bimini 320 yards of 8# and we will spool it up with that. 16#
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    Super Silver Thread in 17 lb. was my go to line on my Calcutta's while banging the bushes in the 10K. Now with braids I'm using my spinners again.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,038 Moderator
    I know Cajun Red Lightnin' makes "17"

One thing to consider with mono is the diameter. it is all pretty much the same stuff. what 1.brand calls 15 another might call 17 or twelve. check out a certain line basic line class and look at diameter if it is posted as well as what it simply feels like. with time you can tell what is too light or too heavy for a given real and fishing application, despite what the "pound test" is.

in an agreement with the prior post, fishing of a beach or most peers means line capacity is your friend more so than pound test... for the most part and of course within reason. if you are comparing one brands 15 to the same brands 17, I would probably rather pack on the extra yards. also helps to know what species of fish you'll be fighting and action of the rod.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • BaitmanBaitman Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    " Cajun Red Lightnin" is made in china. Are all lines made in china of questionable quality? Be it beach or pier fishing i'm not after any particular species of fish...Whatever bites i'll try to reel it in.
  • BobberBobber Posts: 937 Officer
    Sufix Tritanium Plus is offered in a 17lb label, its extruded in China from Mitsubishi copolymer resin. Same diameter as Ande Premium 15lb, wet break tests at 24lbs. Quality is consistently excellent, I've used it for years on my medium offshore Penn and Shimano spinners.Very popular line with the serious surf fishing crowd.